Japans Studio’s alumni are MIA or putting out junk

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Last Guardian as problematic as the develpment was it was special man like shadow of the colusses and ico.

But after they bizzarly greenlit knack 2 after the flop that was knack 1 you can tell they tapped out and there wasn't much left for them to give anymore.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Last Guardian as problematic as the develpment was it was special man like shadow of the colusses and ico.

And Ueda didn’t even stick around to actually finish it.

At the end of the day it’s a business and keeping all these studios around just didn’t make sense. Fans will cry about output but then they won’t buy the countless indie games sony puts on Plus that fill the same niche.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
@JAHGamer if you consider that hype i see why you consider slitterhead a big deal 😂

Thats me saying the bar is in hell for days gone
it's not just that, you attack anyone that doesn't like Concord and were trying to silence them 😑

And I'm not even really hype for Slitterhead, but it's not fair to bash a 20 team studio with little resources just cuz you don't like their game. Especially before we've even seen much.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
it's not just that, you attack anyone that doesn't like Concord and were trying to silence them 😑

And I'm not even really hype for Slitterhead, but it's not fair to bash a 20 team studio with little resources just cuz you don't like their game. Especially before we've even seen much.

No i “attack” (really mock) the people spamming the board with countless topics on Concord. You see me in any of the main threads defending it?

And I was bashing his games long before he went indepdent.

The constant dooming of SIE within itself here is a joke considering there are people that champion failing studios like JS

Yall clearly just favor japan studio because most of you are weebs that like anything that comes from the east over where you’re actually from because its clearly not about the quality or consistency of their releases over the past decade

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Okage: Shadow King, Legend of Dragoon, and Freedom Wars are jrpgs
I meant Legend of Dragoon as Shuhei's game in my previous comment, Dark Cloud was level-5

Okage was done by Zenerworks a 3rd party.
Looked up Freedom Wars, character design and story was done by Shift and programming by DImps. Source

• Informative
Reactions: TrishaCat

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
52848f23219ffa03480264e901e89ae2.jpg
What happened to bro, did he break his dick or something?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
want more clown or u gonna take the L now

I just asked a question….Good luck calling people clowns in real life.
Either way it was dumb to fire them. They make great smaller scale games. Some studios don't need AAA budgets to make games

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I just asked a question….Good luck calling people clowns in real life.
Either way it was dumb to fire them. They make great smaller scale games. Some studios don't need AAA budgets to make games
I prefer to see them working on Astro Bot, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Lost Soul Aside, Death Stranding 2 and Physint than in the mobile games they were making and got cancelled with the restructuring.

Excluding a few exceptions of small games like Parappa, LocoRoco, Patapon, the great games they worked on in the past were bigger, like Bloodborne, Death Stranding, the Team Ico games, Legend of Dragoon, Puppeteer or the Gravity Rush titles etc.

Regarding their bad or mediocre games, a few of them were bigger like the Knack games, but most of their junk were smaller games, many of which weren't even released in the west.

Other than that, in the past to help small games made by external studios they only had the option of publishing them as 2nd party games because there were only physical games and for tiny studios it was too expensive to self publish the game. Nowadays it's a better option for both these small external teams and Sony to let them selfpublish the games digitally and to support them just with (less than before) money and marketing.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I prefer to see them working on Astro Bot, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Lost Soul Aside, Death Stranding 2 and Physint than in the mobile games they were making and got cancelled with the restructuring.

Excluding a few exceptions of small games like Parappa, LocoRoco, Patapon, the great games they worked on in the past were bigger, like Bloodborne, Death Stranding, the Team Ico games, Legend of Dragoon, Puppeteer or the Gravity Rush titles etc.

Id rather have both lol. The Astrobots, Xdev assit games like Stellar/Bloodborne/ ROR etc. Titles like Gravity Rush, SOTC etc. Plus the smaller games like Loco, Patapon, Tokyo Jungle, Everybody’s Golf etc. ( I still think they should change everybody’s gold to include PS and other VG characters)
I understand why they did it, I just like those smaller games. They had a great feel to them, a bit like House Marque and there games

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Id rather have both lol. The Astrobots, Xdev assit games like Stellar/Bloodborne/ ROR etc. Titles like Gravity Rush, SOTC etc. Plus the smaller games like Loco, Patapon, Tokyo Jungle, Everybody’s Golf etc. ( I still think they should change everybody’s gold to include PS and other VG characters)
I understand why they did it, I just like those smaller games. They had a great feel to them, a bit like House Marque and there games
I didn't like Tokyo Jungle and I'm not a golf fan, but I also miss things like Parappa or Loco Roco.

I also understand that it's a business, that nobody remembers Parappa and pretty likely wouldn't sell a shit today, and games like Loco Roco or Patapon didn't even sell a shit back then so other than the remasters I don't think they'll bring them back. Maybe they release the remasters on PC once they ran out of old PS5 and PS4 games with potential to sell well in PC, but that's all.

If the Patapon animated adaptation peforms well they might consider to do something new, but I wouldn't bet on it.