Jason Scheier: "Starfield 83 Metacritic Score was only possible because of Xbox outlets"

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
pete-hines-revela-novos-detalhes-de-starfield-095351.jpg

In a Bloomberg report Jason Schreier says that Starfield only got a high score on Metacritic thanks to Xbox fan sites. Not to mention that the game wasn't released for PlayStation.

"It may not seem like a fantastic performance for the studio's first game since being acquired by Microsoft, but there are some mitigating factors. Starfield wasn't released for the competing PlayStation console, received poor reviews (although the aggregate score is deceptively high thanks to various Xbox fan sites) and, most importantly, was immediately available on Microsoft's Netflix-like subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, where players can access the game by paying $10 a month instead of buying it outright for $70. Bethesda recently claimed that Starfield had 13 million players, suggesting that many people used the Game Pass to play it."

Some Angry Users went after him on Twitter due to the statement:

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
ditto to most nintendo games in the last 15 years
I'm no Nintendo fan, haven't really been for about 30 years now, but their games seem to have legs (at least the big ones). Those who love them really do and they play them until their thumbs bleed for some kind of reason.

Sony games are the same, but for a different set of people.

Xbox games are not the same, they're no fun for anyone, at least not these days. All they are good at is adding to list wars and feeding the shills, paid or not.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
ditto to most nintendo games in the last 15 years
Not really.

And if you think so, then you can say the same thing about PS games too.

But not really there either IMO.

Xbox fandom is a special breed of crazy these days, and I can't think of any other games that get the kind of ratings boost that games like Starfield, Halo, Forza Motorsport receive. You know, games where a month later it's generally accepted that "oh wait, these games are actually really bad."

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Not really.

And if you think so, then you can say the same thing about PS games too.

But not really there either IMO.

Xbox fandom is a special breed of crazy these days, and I can't think of any other games that get the kind of ratings boost that games like Starfield, Halo, Forza Motorsport receive. You know, games where a month later it's generally accepted that "oh wait, these games are actually really bad."

There's like 3x as many nintendo fansites (with nintendo names in the URL) than Playstation.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
There are some Nintendo games that get a pass due to franchise bias (that infamous IGN review of Skyward Sword...) but I'd argue that fansite and general gaming reviews tend to match up on that platform. Its just that, well, all of the big sites have dedicated Nintendo teams.

GrayWolf323

6 Sep 2023
curious what our friends at Bumset era have to think about this statement
dunno about Era but someone on GAF tried to combat it by pointing out how Starfield finished #5 in GAF’s GOTY 🙄

otherwise it’s mostly the usual “but it’s the same for Sony and Nintendo!” BS

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
But are they as fanatical as the Xbox ones?

In fact, are there any fanboys out there who are more delusional than the cult of Phil?

View attachment 3793
nobody is more delusional than nintendo fans tbh. i haven't owned an xbox since the first one, but if playstation was gone tomorrow, series x would be fine as a replacement. a switch would be falling backward 10 years in more ways than graphics.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
But are they as fanatical as the Xbox ones?

In fact, are there any fanboys out there who are more delusional than the cult of Phil?

View attachment 3793
They can be, yeah.

That being said, while there are a lot more Nintendo fansites, how many of them are actually on Metacritic?
(I do believe a lot in the media give them passes though, due to nostalgia and the mistaken belief they "saved gaming", but that's a whole other discussion)