Jason Scheier: "Starfield 83 Metacritic Score was only possible because of Xbox outlets"

26 Nov 2023
DBJX89e.jpg

Guaranteed 100% unbiased
full.png

XboxAddict.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
They can be, yeah.

That being said, while there are a lot more Nintendo fansites, how many of them are actually on Metacritic?
(I do believe a lot in the media give them passes though, due to nostalgia and the mistaken belief they "saved gaming", but that's a whole other discussion)
I don't know if this is right or wrong of me, but this is generally a perception I have about Ntidno fans; I generally think of them as very young or as kids; in a strange way, that's probably why I dismiss their behaviour.

Reactions: Cool hand luke

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
I don't know if this is right or wrong of me, but this is generally a perception I have about Ntidno fans; I generally think of them as very young or as kids; in a strange way, that's probably why I dismiss their behaviour.
You'd think that were the case, but a great deal of them are 25+. They just have their entire gaming identity wrapped in Nintendo.

Not saying that's inherently a bad thing, but some of them are just very unaware of games outside of the Nintendo sphere. Even some of the big Ninty YouTubers out there seem to be la bit unaware of even high-profile games if they're not coming to the Switch.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
In sheer numbers of biased outlets, there are vastly more Xbox outlets than PS and by a decent margin
Just out of curiosity, did you read the rest of my post or just mash reply after that sentence? lol

That "not really" was in response to the admittedly flaccid posters comment about Nintendo, which I had quoted. Nothing about what Jason said.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, there are a lot of MS and Nintendo websites who on average rate the games of their companies above the average. In a smaller scale, same goes with Sony. It has been like that since forever.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yes, there are a lot of MS and Nintendo websites who on average rate the games of their companies above the average. In a smaller scale, same goes with Sony. It has been like that since forever.
I'd be curious where these fans or fansites are. Like some examples. I feel like I never see Nintendo fans online, but I do see scores of people wandering around outside looking for Pokemon on their phones. :rolleyes: Maybe that's why they don't seem to have time to post. Is there some haven they hang out at I'm not aware of?

I also don't remember seeing Nintendo fansites scoring games outside of the norm, to where the scores are skewed. TotK doesn't score a 96 or 97 or wherever it landed based on fansites (a score well deserved I might add :p). Plenty of their other games fall into a pretty normal/average review score distribution, and deservedly so as well.

When it comes to Xbox, we are talking about games that wouldn't score 80 without the fansites. I just think this is a far different phenomenon where Sony and Nintendo game scores don't seem "juiced" to me, but it's just blatantly obvious what is going on with Xbox games on these aggregators.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It's crazy that some of their fans can't see the forest from the trees.

I mean, I listened to @Dr Bas's thoughts on Starfield and he gave an excellent run down on what he did not like about it.

And from my conversations with him he is not an unreasonable person.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
nobody is more delusional than nintendo fans tbh. i haven't owned an xbox since the first one, but if playstation was gone tomorrow, series x would be fine as a replacement. a switch would be falling backward 10 years in more ways than graphics.
A world of no in-game rtx, offline single-player-centric first party titles, multiple successful genres, no skinner boxes, no third party ads and teams that take four years to make a game instead of eight. Truly an awful world we Switch cavemen live in.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
And Playstation games. It happens with all of them. Sites like Playstationuniverse, pushsquare and dualshockers are all on metacritic lmao
Dualshockers is actually xbox aligned, despite the name.

The rest is not about not happening at all, Nintendo and Sony games have actual fan bases for the games themselves, this shows in the sales and how long after release people still play and discuss them.

The problem is elevating random games because you are told they need to succeed for the good of the platform they are on.

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
Glad someone in the press finially said it in writing! VERY surprised it was Jason though ...

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
A world of no in-game rtx, offline single-player-centric first party titles, multiple successful genres, no skinner boxes, no third party ads and teams that take four years to make a game instead of eight. Truly an awful world we Switch cavemen live in.
you definitely do have that stuff on Switch and you don't have Baldurs Gate 3.

• fire
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
nobody is more delusional than nintendo fans tbh. i haven't owned an xbox since the first one, but if playstation was gone tomorrow, series x would be fine as a replacement. a switch would be falling backward 10 years in more ways than graphics.
I'd be flaccid too if I thought that the xbox is a replacement for the PlayStation.

If PS was to disappear tomorrow I'd go full PC, no need for the Switch as it's emulated and the Nintendo games contain walls after walls of useless text... So I can't be bothered to play them with all these interruptions.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Yeah every Xbox game's real score is usually 10-15 points lower, always has been.

Reactions: Sircaw

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
And Playstation games. It happens with all of them. Sites like Playstationuniverse, pushsquare and dualshockers are all on metacritic lmao
Why you laughing? From your stupid comment?

What is with all this whataboutism?