Jason Schreier "Horizon Online Next for Guerilla, Horizon 3 'Ways off', Sony's Live Service Initiative was no joke"

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Out of all their GAAS projects, this has the most potencial but i personally hope it fails. I want more games like Astrobot.

Horizon in general needs a break.
This failing won't get you more games like AstroBot

The Franchise is fairly young, it's kinda weird how only Sony franchise needs a break.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Not really surprised. Every publisher including Sony is looking for their Fortnite and they won't stop until they get one. As for the Horizon online game, im looking forward to seeing how it looks and plays because if I can play it solo like The Division 1/2, then chances are, im in.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Can we just get another flop out of the way so we can get to actually good games? Let's see what happens when Fairgames flop and if Matarhon does as well. Do they keep pushing this crap or learn a lesson?
I hope fairgame$ does great but everything else live service i don't care about

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Out of all their GAAS projects, this has the most potencial but i personally hope it fails. I want more games like Astrobot.

Horizon in general needs a break.
MP games failing doesnt mean more Astrobot.

Ps fans hoping their games fail because they want another type isnt good lol. I dont really see Nintendo, Xbox, or Valve fans doing it.

Some of us PS fans want MP games too

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
MP games failing doesnt mean more Astrobot.

Ps fans hoping their games fail because they want another type isnt good lol. I dont really see Nintendo, Xbox, or Valve fans doing it.

Some of us PS fans want MP games too
Right! Love single player games but I also love Multiplayer games. Maybe that's why I love the PS3 era so much as I could play a game like The Last of Us and then sink endless hour into other aspects of that game and it never got old.

Same for Warkhawk, Uncharted, Killzone, Little Big Planet, Mod Nation Kart Racers and many others.

In-fact I'm still confused why Insomniac hasn't reintroduced multiplayer to Ratchet & Clank, they did so on the PS2 and PS3.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The Franchise is fairly young, it's kinda weird how only Sony franchise needs a break.
Other publishers can get away with yearly games in the same franchises like Call of Duty, Crash, Halo, Yakuza, Persona, Sonic, Assassin's Creed. They sell like crazy and gamers are always hype about the next one.

Sony did 2 TLOU and Horizon in 10 years and it's franchise fatigue and too much.

They want Killzone instead, a series that got 4 games and spinoffs in a short amount of time. Makes no sense, no one else gets these reactions 🤡

4 Sep 2024
Horizon has some of the best gameplay in gaming. The worst part of Horizon is the story and the main character.

I don't play online games, but if Horizon Online works out to be like Monster Hunter Online, they might have a hit on their hands.
Imagine having such a shit take. Horizon has some of the best gameplay, visuals, characters ad story.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Other publishers can get away with yearly games in the same franchises like Call of Duty, Crash, Halo, Yakuza, Persona, Sonic, Assassin's Creed. They sell like crazy and gamers are always hype about the next one.

Sony did 2 TLOU and Horizon in 10 years and it's franchise fatigue and too much.

They want Killzone instead, a series that got 4 games and spinoffs in a short amount of time. Makes no sense, no one else gets these reactions 🤡
Yup! It's so weird and just highlights the hypocrisy. I remember when people use to say the same about the God of War Franchise how there's fatigue and Sony should ice the franchise. Even when the reboot rumors started swirling that was the same reaction lol.

• they're_right_you_know

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
No one is going to buy borizon monster hunter, I am going to stick to the good ol ones capcom releases, The game releasing and flopping will at least get rid of the guerrilla infestation of SIE.

Reactions: Diah

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
No one is going to buy borizon monster hunter, I am going to stick to the good ol ones capcom releases, The game releasing and flopping will at least get rid of the guerrilla infestation of SIE.

Sony might want to let Horizon cool off for a while.
Reading these comments when Wilds and RE9 are getting so much positive traction highlights the huge double standard between Sony and everyone else.

Capcom is the one that should give a break to Monster Hunter and Resident Evil.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I don't think you understand just how important Guerrilla is to PlayStation Studios. They do a lot of support work. I get you may not like their games but their purpose goes far beyond Horizon.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Reading these comments when Wilds and RE9 are getting so much positive traction highlights the huge double standard between Sony and everyone else.

There is no double standard, I just dont think Sony and their studios are capable of delivering a monster hunter type game. And Resident Evil built up its fan base organically over 2 and half decades unlike the industry plant Horizon, on top of the half a dozen games they are making a tv show for something no one asked for.

They want to brute force their mediocre IPs like until dawn and horizon to mainstream success but the market at large will slap them in the face with a healthy dose of reality

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I don't think you understand just how important Guerrilla is to PlayStation Studios. They do a lot of support work. I get you may not like their games but their purpose goes far beyond Horizon.
I am talking about the people being promoted to SIE corporate, If they can keep them isolated to amsterdam I am all for it. We would have been better off in the alternate reality where Herman just stuck to being head of guerrilla

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
Helldivers 2 made Sony a shit ton of money this year - probably enough to subsidize the Concord disaster. Of course they'll be trying to duplicate that even if they have some failures along the way

• sad

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I am talking about the people being promoted to SIE corporate, If they can keep them isolated to amsterdam I am all for it. We would have been better off in the alternate reality where Herman just stuck to being head of guerrilla
I will say Michiel de Leeuw (technical director) being the head of Decima engine makes sense, for the future technology and strategy. That engine needs to be utilised more by PS. It's a shame not more studios using it if we see the results of Horizon and Death Stranding.

Angie Smets being head of development strategy is also in line with de Leeuw, alongside Hermen able to trust her since they worked for over 20years.
Apparently they blamed the GaaS pivot on Connie Booth and California management at Sony if we go by David Jaffe words.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Playstation isnt allowed to do anything lol.

Too many Cinematic Action AAA 3rd party games
Too many story games
But at the same time
They do too many Gaas games and whenever they try a new genre, the genre is “overcrowded”
Too many of the same IP and its milking
Make a platformer and its “soulless”

If its up to some people, they would want sony to be a 1 studio company lol

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I will say Michiel de Leeuw (technical director) being the head of Decima engine makes sense, for the future technology and strategy. That engine needs to be utilised more by PS. It's a shame not more studios using it if we see the results of Horizon and Death Stranding.

Angie Smets being head of development strategy is also in line with de Leeuw, alongside Hermen able to trust her since they worked for over 20years.
Apparently they blamed the GaaS pivot on Connie Booth and California management at Sony if we go by David Jaffe words.
I dont know this seems like a case of conveniently blaming it on someone who has already left and cant defend themselves, Its very hard to trust a guy who looked at Concord and thought it was the next big thing. There is also a clear biased push for horizon after he got into the top seat.

Agree on Decima but guerrilla are technically competent and creatively deficient - they might as well work full time on decima and license it out like unreal and stop making games.