Jason Schreier "Horizon Online Next for Guerilla, Horizon 3 'Ways off', Sony's Live Service Initiative was no joke"

Ico

Banned
Icon Extra
8 May 2024
im curious to see what they will do with this genre, specially bc mh wilds will be launching soon and its THE defining game from the boss hunting genre, i want this to be fun and have its place, so i hope theyre giving a nice spin to it

Reactions: Danja

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Right! Love single player games but I also love Multiplayer games. Maybe that's why I love the PS3 era so much as I could play a game like The Last of Us and then sink endless hour into other aspects of that game and it never got old.

Same for Warkhawk, Uncharted, Killzone, Little Big Planet, Mod Nation Kart Racers and many others.

In-fact I'm still confused why Insomniac hasn't reintroduced multiplayer to Ratchet & Clank, they did so on the PS2 and PS3.

Same.

Im mostly a single player gamer, but I still enjoy MP time to time. If the right one comes, it covers loads of time between big SP hits.
I dont particularly like puzzle games, strategy and sim games and other sorts but I think PS should try making almost every genre. Because they are great at making games. Dont care if the genre is covered elsewhere.

We wouldnt of got Uncharted 2, TLOU, GOT if we were worried about Gears, RE and Assassins Creed and so on.

Theres so many things they use to do that I wish they did now. Even if they arent big hits, they cover the genre. Singstar, Buzz, Home, Warhwak, Modcar Racers, Socom etc etc

Reactions: Danja

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I dont know this seems like a case of conveniently blaming it on someone who has already left and cant defend themselves, Its very hard to trust a guy who looked at Concord and thought it was the next big thing. There is also a clear biased push for horizon after he got into the top seat.
Yeah I am just relaying what Jaffe stated for the reason of firing.

There is also a clear biased push for horizon after he got into the top seat.
In general at Sony, even for the corporate holding shows they display Horizon as their big IP and that is simply based on sales numbers. Series sold 34 million in two instalments. Sony clearly thinks they have gold on their hands based on metric. Over-saturation I am not denying it nor they are milking as much as they can with it.
GoW and LoU are internally created IPs too and sell well, people dismiss Horizon but it has a more safe appeal to the mainstream.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Playstation isnt allowed to do anything lol.

Too many Cinematic Action AAA 3rd party games
Too many story games
But at the same time
They do too many Gaas games and whenever they try a new genre, the genre is “overcrowded”
Too many of the same IP and its milking
Make a platformer and its “soulless”

If its up to some people, they would want sony to be a 1 studio company lol

Yeah, that's funny

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Too many story games
But at the same time
They do too many Gaas games and whenever they try a new genre, the genre is “overcrowded”

Evil Sony!

• Cerny
Reactions: Kokoloko

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I just hope they aren't using that fornite artstyle that got leaked. Would honestly kill my interest completely.

Horizon has the ability to have a fun Monster Hunter coop mode.... no doubt guerilla can nail it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Danja and Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I just hope they aren't using that fornite artstyle that got leaked. Would honestly kill my interest completely.

Horizon has the ability to have a fun Monster Hunter coop mode.... no doubt guerilla can nail it.
Everyone is jaded of that shit...so unimaginative.

That London Studio one looked so generic because of that style too.

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024

Too many story games
But at the same time
It's almost like people don't want GaaS, cinematic, story driven games. Imagine wanting a game that had gameplay! How dare they.

Any GaaS is too many.

They almost are. Only insomniac are delivering this gen. One game from GG who have three teams. One game from SSM who have three teams. No games from naughty dog in 4 years, who have three teams.

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
They have whole teams set up to tell them what will hypothetically make them the most money possible.

But gaming moves too fast for that....
It really doesn't.

All trends are different. Gamers all around the internet called Battle Royale a fad because they didn't like how popular it had become in 2017.

We're now 7 years into the Battle Royale trend and it's as popular as ever.

The problem is picking the right trends. Some last, others don't...the skill is knowing the difference.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Can we just get another flop out of the way so we can get to actually good games? Let's see what happens when Fairgames flop and if Matarhon does as well. Do they keep pushing this crap or learn a lesson?
Fairgames & Marathon flopping would be wonderful only because both of those + Firewalk/Concord fall under Herman leadership that would be billions lost because they decided to buy unknown, unproven & studios that have no ip to uphold potential value.

Killzone singleplayer + multiplayer (similar to Star Wars Battlefront (2017) galactic conquest mode large maps all out future warfare)
SOCOM singleplayer + multiplayer
PS Allstars 2 multiplayer
LittleBigPlanet singleplayer + multiplayer (LBP can solely be a gaas/multiplayer game do to the nature of LBP)
Warhawk/Starhawk singleplayer + multiplayer
Twisted Metal singleplayer + multiplayer
The Boys singleplayer + multiplayer
Demon Slayer singleplayer + multiplayer (mobile focus gacha game like genshin/honkai)
Breaking Bad singleplayer
inFAMOUS singleplayer + multiplayer (the could have a mobile gacha game like project mugen featuring a inFAMOUS open world in a anime style)
GOW/Demon Souls/Bloodborne singleplayer + multiplayer (top down Diablo like w a focus in mobile like Diablo immortal)
Uncharted singleplayer + multiplayer
Ratchet & Clank/Jak & Daxter/Sly singleplayer + multiplayer (a PS platformer focus pvpve game like the Plant VS Zombies Garden Warfare game, more casual family driven)
Motorstorm singleplayer + multiplayer
Syphon Filter singleplayer + multiplayer
Gravity Rush singleplayer/ 4 player coop
Ape Escpae singleplayer/ 4 player coop
Legend of dragoon singleplayer (maybe turn base w another studio doing a full AAA reboot)

I can keep going.

Last edited:

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Jim and Herman wasted an entire generation
most of there studios are 1 team maybe 2 team if your lucky they saw insomniac amazing output & return in investment & said nah let’s not do this to almost all of there studios. This just tells me that PS6 gen will be the same if not worse as they continue focus on PC & as shown w Horizon remaster there main studios working on these remasters/remake, pc ports or spin offs that are 3rd party

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Fairgames & Marathon flopping would be wonderful only because both of those + Firewalk/Concord fall under Herman leadership that would be billions lost because they decided to buy unknown, unproven & studios that have no ip to uphold potential value.

Killzone singleplayer + multiplayer (similar to Star Wars Battlefront (2017) galactic conquest mode large maps all out future warfare)
LittleBigPlanet singleplayer + multiplayer (LBP can solely be a gaas/multiplayer game do to the nature of LBP)
Demon Slayer singleplayer + multiplayer (mobile focus gacha game like genshin/honkai)
inFAMOUS singleplayer + multiplayer (the could have a mobile gacha game like project mugen featuring a inFAMOUS open world in a anime style)
GOW/Demon Souls/Bloodborne singleplayer + multiplayer (top down Diablo like w a focus in mobile like Diablo immortal)
Ratchet & Clank/Jak & Daxter/Sly singleplayer + multiplayer (a PS platformer focus pvpve game like the Plant VS Zombies Garden Warfare game, more casual family driven)
Legend of dragoon singleplayer (maybe turn base w another studio doing a full AAA reboot)

I can keep going.

TBF some of these haven't come back because people didn't support them on the PS3 the way they should've. But IP like MotorStorm, Ape Escape, & Syphon Filter were generally successful for their time, scope & budget in mind, and it's perplexing why they haven't come back.

Then there are obvious slam dunks like the Breaking Bad game you suggested; I'm sure the show creators would be interested in some other version of the story in-depth (maybe following Gus's rise in politics and the crime/drug world for example, or someone carrying on in Walter White's image as another) if SIE or one of their studios made the proposal. It'd also be a smart leverage of synergy. Why hasn't it happened yet?

Instead they do a HZD remaster o.0

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
TBF some of these haven't come back because people didn't support them on the PS3 the way they should've. But IP like MotorStorm, Ape Escape, & Syphon Filter were generally successful for their time, scope & budget in mind, and it's perplexing why they haven't come back.

Then there are obvious slam dunks like the Breaking Bad game you suggested; I'm sure the show creators would be interested in some other version of the story in-depth (maybe following Gus's rise in politics and the crime/drug world for example, or someone carrying on in Walter White's image as another) if SIE or one of their studios made the proposal. It'd also be a smart leverage of synergy. Why hasn't it happened yet?

Instead they do a HZD remaster o.0
Bro all that takes too much work, what you actually expect the west coast devs to actually work?, They coast on MVW- minimal viable work.

Reactions: Diah

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

I can keep going.
Marathon and FairGame$ existing has no correlation to that wish list of yours. Some of them Sony should have already revived from last gen. But these multiplayer games did not take away resources from anything we were ever gonna get, I wish some of ya'll would stop wishing death upon these games. It's borderline silly

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
You would think Sony is abandoning making a Single Player Horizon game based off this silly tweet.

But I can see the fud machine is gearing up to smear this game before it gets a chance to prove itself
The Rocksteady comparison was terrible. We know Horizon 3 is coming around 2028. Also what this idiot doesn’t understand is that, Guerilla has thought about incorporating multiplayer in Horizon since the first game. I don’t think Sony told them to do this.