Jeff Grubb: A State of Play is scheduled for September

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

Wouldn't shock me if that is the format for PlayStation from now on. Taking a Nintendo approach by just doing directs no big shows attempting to replicate E3. Sony is not showing all their cards. They are going to show off a game if it is a year out from release. State of Play fits their strategy more than doing showcases. I for one understand that but still would love for a big show once in a while from them.

What cards do they have? They've been Supposedly holding these cards close to their chest for 2 years now and was suppose to let loose after the Activision fiasco 🤣

Reactions: Kokoloko

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
who thinks, that Grubb is just riling up PS fans for negativity?
Isn't he usually accurate for these types of shows? I think it's an SoP. Tbh with you, the only good showcases were the ones in 2020. 21/23 were overhyped IMO. I think we're simply in the era where one developer goes at a time.... less hype but honestly I understand, I didn't like waiting all that time for TLOU2. Makes spaces like these have so much less too talk about though.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Isn't he usually accurate for these types of shows? I think it's an SoP. Tbh with you, the only good showcases were the ones in 2020. 21/23 were overhyped IMO. I think we're simply in the era where one developer goes at a time.... less hype but honestly I understand, I didn't like waiting all that time for TLOU2. Makes spaces like these have so much less too talk about though.
there was some pretty strong state of plays before. we can just have a hope, it will be one of those.

Reactions: voke

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
From announcing games too early to not giving gamers anything in advance anymore. What a shitshow.
Honestly, the way the industry has gone...State of Plays, with their focus on a smaller number of games, is probably the way to go. Smaller titles have never been less important to the success of a giant publisher like PlayStation.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
What cards do they have? They've been Supposedly holding these cards close to their chest for 2 years now and was suppose to let loose after the Activision fiasco 🤣
They let loose with limited edition dualsenses.
Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Lol, they made more money and we got less games with worst generation ever. 😂
We didn't get less games.

At less in the Spanish PSN store when clicking "all games" and filtering by "PS5" there are 3932 items (in under 4 years) while filtering as "PS4" there are 7544 items (in under 11 years).

Regarding "worst generation ever" that's your opinion, but the objective data says it's their most successful generation ever. Meaning, the wallets of the players don't agree with you.

From announcing games too early to not giving gamers anything in advance anymore. What a shitshow.
Why do you act as if they wouldn't have shown Astro Bot, Until Dawn remake, Lego Horizon, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Marathon, Death Stranding, Fairgame$, Wolverine and so on?

MrAss

24 May 2024
We all know the problem isn't showcases or state of plays. The problem is they just don't have enough first party games to show. They only have enough to drip feed us. So instead of a big firework all we getting is a firecracker.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Sony broke most of their records this generation: revenue, profit, active userbase and a ton of other metrics, like breaking 4 times the launch sales record of a Sony game.

They are basically better than ever and in a multi year growth trend in basically all areas.

It's great to know that Sony wins while we lose.

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So is the PS5 Pro being announced during that late september State of Play?
I'd say that in terms of marketing it makes more sense to make it separatedly on its own PlayStation Blog post + videos in a different day.

To make sure one thing doesn't overshadow the other.

No one sets out to take 9 years to make a game, as that means going through a whole generation and failing to meet new demands and features that people become used to. If you're above 6 years, you're probably going through some sort of development hell.

Also, those 5 years are counting with 1 to 2 years of pre-production, a lower-investment phase to lay out the general story and setting ideas, make some playable prototypes, etc.
Since the 70s every single generation required more development times and more people (so higher budgets too) working on the AAA games.

It's normal, because every generation AAA games keep becoming more complex, longer, with more feature and content and particularly with a bigger amount of (and more detailed) art and animations.

This generation they are taking on average 5-9 years, in a few cases a bit less or a bit more. It doesn't imply development hell, it's how things work. If this generation the map will be let's say 30% bigger so featuring more enemy types, with some extra weapons and skills, with all the visuals being more detailed (using bigger poly count, better textures and materials, lighting, animation etc) and on top of that now the game will have post launch stuff or something like that all this requires more time.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
PlayStation has a lot of unannounced games in the works question is how much will they choose to show in the state of play next month and how much has Keighley booked for his game awards show in december.

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
Geoff Keighley said at gamescom that the game awards will show where gaming is going in the next decade which to me says multiple hardware reveals are imminent. No doubt he has already seen the ps5 pro and the next nintendo console. Forget Grubb it's Keighley you should pay attention to his production company runs the two biggest events in the industry gets to fly around the world and visit dev teams to see games six months before they are announced to book them for his shows.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Nah seriously dude. They only let us know what's up for the current quarter.

It's been 4 years since ND released a game
4 years Sucker Punch
6 years Bend Studio
4 years media molecule
4 years Bluepoint
3 years Housemarque.

At a certain point you just gotta drop a teaser or something, some developers can fall to irrelevancy in that duration... especially if their not coming off anything hot previously. They have a lot of studios due for an announcement but time and time again have nothing to say.
I bet half of those are working on a GAAS game and are on the chopping block after conrods disasterous launch.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Wouldn't shock me if that is the format for PlayStation from now on. Taking a Nintendo approach by just doing directs no big shows attempting to replicate E3. Sony is not showing all their cards. They are going to show off a game if it is a year out from release. State of Play fits their strategy more than doing showcases. I for one understand that but still would love for a big show once in a while from them.

Man the days of great e3’s are over over. I dont know who to blame but im gonna go with Nintendo for doing there Nintendo tree lol.
It gave Sony the idea but they just did it much worse

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
SOP and not a showcase? Smh... Well I hope that a PS5 Pro reveal is happening before November 2024 at least :/