Jeff Grubb: A State of Play is scheduled for September

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I've said it earlier wouldn't be surprised; they have the rest of 2024 laid out. If the Pro is there, patches shown on upcoming and already released titles.
- Focus on DS2 that will come out probably early 2025 with Kojima likely giving the release date later at VGA for Geoff.
- One of the live-service of PS shown between FairGame$ or Marathon coming early next year (Feb?) I guess Havens.
- Already known Sony rallying behind Monster Hunter Wilds coming probably March (before the end of fiscal)

If we lucky cause it's TGS if it's on track we might get a Ghost 2 teaser or title card.. to keep us quiet. Or Hermen says fu guys for not supporting Concord as much. They focus on big title at a time and that's enough to ride out in their eyes alongside the new hardware.

So Wolverine is expecting a 2026 release? I was thinking 2025😩
Yeah if we go by the leaks it's slated 2026 to go for a GOTY and instead of DLC for SM2 they drop Venom in 2025.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I maintain the fact every western studio employee of SIE is an overpaid entitled lazy bum. We have the "remake masters" in naughty dog, the project mismanagement masters in sony bend, we have the borizon makers in Guerrilla, the DEI trash of Firewalk and Bungie, "Insoymniac", Confused bumbling fools of Firesprite. Only 3 studios seem to have their shit together- SSM, SP and Bluepoint.

On the other side Kaz and Polyphony deliver updates and contents like clockwork while making the next game- These people deserve to be paid more

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
On the other side Kaz and Polyphony deliver updates and contents like clockwork while making the next game- These people deserve to be paid more

Pretty simple when you actually release a game a decade. GT Sport was GT7 Early Access. Poliphony of all studios being an example of meeting timely deliverables?

Doesn't excuse several western studios that have recently dropped the ball though.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
We didn't get less games.

At less in the Spanish PSN store when clicking "all games" and filtering by "PS5" there are 3932 items (in under 4 years) while filtering as "PS4" there are 7544 items (in under 11 years).

Regarding "worst generation ever" that's your opinion, but the objective data says it's their most successful generation ever. Meaning, the wallets of the players don't agree with you.

Why do you act as if they wouldn't have shown Astro Bot, Until Dawn remake, Lego Horizon, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Marathon, Death Stranding, Fairgame$, Wolverine and so on?
Yeah 3932 games. As you said. Who cares if Naughty Dogs are going to release their next game when we become grandparents.
We have 3932 games.
3932 games! Yes 3932.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Pretty simple when you actually release a game a decade. GT Sport was GT7 Early Access. Poliphony of all studios being an example of meeting timely deliverables?

Doesn't excuse several western studios that have recently dropped the ball though.

Gran Turismo Sport wasn't Gran Turismo 7 early access, it's a totally separated game. And no, they don't take a decade to make a new game.

Gran Turismo 6 - 2013
Gran Turismo Sport - 2017
Gran Turismo 7 - 2022
Gran Turismo 7 (VR version) - 2023

Yeah 3932 games. As you said. Who cares if Naughty Dogs are going to release their next game when we become grandparents.
We have 3932 games.
3932 games! Yes 3932.
As reference, PS4 had around 4000 games when PS5 was released. PS5 is achieving it in 4 years instead of in 7.

In case you have no idea about videogames, ND released their last new game 4 years ago. Since then they released a remake and remasters of 3 games plus have been working on 3 games, one of them cancelled.

Nowadays AAA games take around 5-9 years to be made, so it's nonsensical to complain about ND's output.

I wonder which exclusives Sony has prepared for 2025 besides Death Stranding 2 so far...
Marathon, plus if finally not released in 2024, Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria. Maybe also Horion Online, Interstellar: The Heretic Prophet (which could be Cory Barlog's new IP), Venom and who knows if Fairgame$. I think is very, very unlikely but not impossible GoT2. I have no idea when they are going to release it, but they could also release Firesprite's horror game.

Sony may also publish some China/India Hero Project game more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I disagree.

- Death Stranding 2
- Marvel's Venom
- Marvel's Wolverine
- Ghost of Tsushima 2
- Horizon MMORPG
- Cory Barlog's new game
- Marathon (even though I would cancel it if I was Sony and tell them to get working on Destiny 3 for PlayStation 6 but that's just me)
- Several third party games
- A few Indie games.

I think these could be shown in the Pre-TGS State of Play of September 2024, but Sony will want to save most of these 1st party games for other State of Play events of the next year including the Pre-TGS State of Play of September 2025. They won't be a full year without having anything interesting to announce/show.

Marathon is as likely to be cancelled as GTA6, the next EAFC, Mario Kart 9 and the next big 3D Mario. And makes the same se

- Media Molecule's next game
It has been under development for a year or so, they won't announce it until several years in the future.

- Bend Studio's next game
They started to develop it three years ago, won't announce it in minimum a couple years.

- Housemarque's next game
They started it a couple years ago, won't announce it until several years in the future.

- Bluepoint's next game
It doesn't exist, they are a support studio helping in games leaded by someone else, as they did in GoWR.

Nothing wrong with announcing games early. They revealed Wolverine in September 2021. It's at least 2+ years away. During PS4 at E3 2016, they announced Death Stranding which released 3 1/2 years later and Days Gone which released just under three years later. So to me, they should have plenty of games ready to be shown. I don't mind waiting a few years for them to release. Just announce/reveal them already.
If they announce many games early you'll start complaining that they don't show them, that announce games only with a CG logo teaser, later that they may be in development hell because announced it a while ago but don't release it, and will complain that whatever they shown in the announcement isn't like the final game at all, downgrades, etc. Plus also complain that they don't announce games for a while after that big batch of announcements.

They prefer to show and announce and show games to be released relatively soon, maximum around a year and a half or two from the planned release. There are a couple of exceptions like Wolverine and (will start development after shipping Death Stranding 2) Physint.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Nothing wrong with announcing games early. They revealed Wolverine in September 2021. It's at least 2+ years away. During PS4 at E3 2016, they announced Death Stranding which released 3 1/2 years later and Days Gone which released just under three years later. So to me, they should have plenty of games ready to be shown. I don't mind waiting a few years for them to release. Just announce/reveal them already.

Agreed, Ive never known a negative for a game being announced early. No1 has said, Im bored of waiting now, Im not gonna buy it.
Games like Death Stranding, TLOU2, MG5 and many others had a 3-4 year reveal before the game came out.

It probably helps put less pressure on game devs but at this point I dont care. They get paid, quit your job if you its too hard. Game developers and Playstation had a good model for the last 2 decades. All these changes are not needed.

It simply builds hype and keeps the fanbase knowing what is coming.

An observer would see theres loads of games in the line up and a few they like. Its worth picking up the console they want. But if the hype isnt much and there isnt a good list of great games coming, it doesnt build any excitement.

I

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Agreed, Ive never known a negative for a game being announced early. No1 has said, Im bored of waiting now, Im not gonna buy it.
Games like Death Stranding, TLOU2, MG5 and many others had a 3-4 year reveal before the game came out.

It probably helps put less pressure on game devs but at this point I dont care. They get paid, quit your job if you its too hard. Game developers and Playstation had a good model for the last 2 decades. All these changes are not needed.

It simply builds hype and keeps the fanbase knowing what is coming.

An observer would see theres loads of games in the line up and a few they like. Its worth picking up the console they want. But if the hype isnt much and there isnt a good list of great games coming, it doesnt build any excitement.

Exactly. I know the vast majority of AAA games take 5+ years to develop and when they get revealed, I have no issue waiting. I just want to know what the games are and what the gameplay/combat looks like. We'll see what happens but hopefully, it's a showcase instead of a state of play.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
If this is correct then I think that means we are getting a PS5 Pro showcase/reveal in October then. A September State of Play isn't the worst news ever as I thought the State of Play on September 13th, 2022 was awesome. But I don't think it coming after TGS is likely, It most likely would come before it but maybe Grubb is right?

Reactions: YeezyDude

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I've said it earlier wouldn't be surprised; they have the rest of 2024 laid out. If the Pro is there, patches shown on upcoming and already released titles.
- Focus on DS2 that will come out probably early 2025 with Kojima likely giving the release date later at VGA for Geoff.
It sounds like DS2 will have a special showing at TGS in September so I don't think the State of Play will showcase that one.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
If this is correct then I think that means we are getting a PS5 Pro showcase/reveal in October then. A September State of Play isn't the worst news ever as I thought the State of Play on September 13th, 2022 was awesome. But I don't think it coming after TGS is likely, It most likely would come before it but maybe Grubb is right?
Yeah it's going to be October 2024 if not next month as there's no PS5 Slim to reveal as well plus Sony/the 1st-3rd party developers do need some more time to develop their games and make a trailer for it... So I guess we've to wait and see what happens during September-October 2024! 👀

Reactions: RE4-Station

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
I think Sony is looking into making SOP the only show going forward. Like Nintendo did with the Directs.

The last showcase felt more like a extended State of Play and the most recent State of Play had a first party reveal in Astrobot. I don't think that happened before.