Jeff Grubb: A State of Play is scheduled for September

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
E3s and PlayStation Showcases are going extinct because there's only 5 - 8 needle moving games released in any given year. The publishers are finally learning that extended previews (think: Starfield Direct) are more effective than diluting your message with 35 games, 32 of which nobody cares about.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
E3s and PlayStation Showcases are going extinct because there's only 5 - 8 needle moving games released in any given year. The publishers are finally learning that extended previews (think: Starfield Direct) are more effective than diluting your message with 35 games, 32 of which nobody cares about.

I still think the E3 days of PS4 marketing sold just fine and the hype was much better than now for the fanbase.
There new strategy isnt better in any way apart putting less pressure on developers

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I still think the E3 days of PS4 marketing sold just fine and the hype was much better than now for the fanbase.
There new strategy isnt better in any way apart putting less pressure on developers
Industry really changed by ~2018, which was really the end of the PS4 generation. Now it's just GAAS megatons boueyed by one or two big AAA single player games each year.

The play is now making those 3 - 4 titles look as premium as possible. That's a relatively new development.

You can even see that sentiment online. All the comments to the modern showcases are "It was all crap except for X and Y games".

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
What are we mad about here?

Expecting mostly promotion for the holiday season. Maybe a new game for December or teasing winter 25 and the pro release date announcement.

Still kinda think Marathon will be launching with the Pro so not ruling out a surprise or two.

DewPoint

17 Jul 2022
What are we mad about here?

Expecting mostly promotion for the holiday season. Maybe a new game for December or teasing winter 25 and the pro release date announcement.

Still kinda think Marathon will be launching with the Pro so not ruling out a surprise or two.
People here are getting mad that they’re not being advertised too enough. That’s the weird part about all of this.

Reactions: Men_in_Boxes

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I’d rather wait to see what its announced as at leat before getting agitated.

If they are like “a new state of play featuring a look out our first party studios along with partners” i dont care what they call it

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Men_in_Boxes

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
I will be very surprised if it's a State of Play instead of a PlayStation Showcase.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I will be very surprised if it's a State of Play instead of a PlayStation Showcase.
Or. What if Sony replaced Showcases with SOP’s?
It better NOT be just another fucking state of play.

What the fuck is going on like?
They may have around 25 first party games (including 2nd) under development. Around half of them already announced. Most of the other ones over 2/3 years away from their release, so won't announce them or at least show them. A couple of the ones that could be announced in the next year or so are GaaS.

To make a showcase would dissapoint you, like the previous one, because what they could show there wouldn't be enough for you. For them is better to call it State of Play to reduce the expectations, which improves the opinion that later the people gets from the event and what it's shown there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
They may have around 25 first party games (including 2nd) under development. Around half of them already announced. Most of the other ones over 2/3 years away from their release, so won't announce them or at least show them. A couple of the ones that could be announced in the next year or so are GaaS.

To make a showcase would dissapoint you, like the previous one, because what they could show there wouldn't be enough for you. For them is better to call it State of Play to reduce the expectations, which improves the opinion that later the people gets from what it's shown.

I disagree.

- Death Stranding 2
- Marvel's Venom
- Marvel's Wolverine
- Ghost of Tsushima 2
- Horizon MMORPG
- Media Molecule's next game
- Cory Barlog's new game
- Bend Studio's next game
- Housemarque's next game
- Bluepoint's next game
- Marathon (even though I would cancel it if I was Sony and tell them to get working on Destiny 3 for PlayStation 6 but that's just me)
- Several third party games
- A few Indie games.

Nothing wrong with announcing games early. They revealed Wolverine in September 2021. It's at least 2+ years away. During PS4 at E3 2016, they announced Death Stranding which released 3 1/2 years later and Days Gone which released just under three years later. So to me, they should have plenty of games ready to be shown. I don't mind waiting a few years for them to release. Just announce/reveal them already.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
So Wolverine is expecting a 2026 release? I was thinking 2025😩
Well yeah don't be surprised if that's the case... I wonder which exclusives Sony has prepared for 2025 besides Death Stranding 2 so far... And that game could even get delayed until 2026... Anyway 2025 should still have a lot of amazing games to look forward to! (y)