Jez Corden: "Proven sources that Microsoft has been exploring bringing some of its back catalog to other platforms"

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I'm curious whether only the Bethesda "exclusives" will come to other platforms or whether MS will slowly start porting classic Xbox brands.

With Starfield I was always sure that it would appear on PS5 at some point, the development was too expensive and the sales were too low.

But I don't understand MS. If they had disclosed their plans, the FTC and CMA's ABK deal would have gone through faster and cheaper imo. So why all this monkey dancing? Spencer overruled? Starfield the final nail in the coffin? Or have you registered how much money can be made on Switch and Playstation using the ABK numbers? Let's see what happens in 2024 and whether some Xbox fanboys cry. At least I can't tell my grandchildren about any war, but that I saw Sega and Xbox go multiplatform.
Precisely. I don't see it being first though because they would prefer to bring over smaller IPs first to 'ease people in', plus it's still fairly new.

I guess they will try ~one year exclusivity, but then sales will continue to be low so they may reconsider.

I think they were hoping the Bethesda acquisition, and the news about the Activision acquisition would drum up some hype for Xbox. Instead their sales in 2023 have been abysmal and MS leadership is starting to really dial in on the numbers now that all the x-Cloud nonsense has been exposed.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I think they were hoping the Bethesda acquisition, and the news about the Activision acquisition would drum up some hype for Xbox. Instead their sales in 2023 have been abysmal and MS leadership is starting to really dial in on the numbers now that all the x-Cloud nonsense has been exposed.
If this is true then the Xbox leadership is even more out of touch than I thought.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
GDQlYD9XoAEMq8q
He never looked better.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Fenton

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I figured this would eventually happen but I didn’t think as soon as the new year started we’d hear rumblings already. When Phil inevitably retires that will be it for the brand. He is the avatar of the online, Xbox console warrior. When he’s gone, so is Xbox as brand. The only question is how much longer does Microsoft keep him around for optics reasons?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yeah I agree, don't think it would sell well at all. Neither would either Forza game imo.
I'm trying to figure out what is the most likely option that has some chances to be successful for them.

I mean, what else so they have in their back catalog? The treasure back library...

Reactions: Hezekiah

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
I'm trying to figure out what is the most likely option that has some chances to be successful for them.

I mean, what else so they have in their back catalog? The treasure back library...
The "back catalogue" will probably be the best games. 🤷‍♂️

AfnanAcchan

3 Mar 2023
Really not surprising it they really port most of their games on other platform. Even in their best year in term of exclusives console sales crash and at same time gamepass subscribers missed target for 3 years in row. While COD and other ABK games day one will increase sub it won't be enough to compensate for $70 billions spend on acquisition and game sales loss to gamepass. Only other option is to port games to other console. PS5, Switch had combined market share of nearly 88% of all consoles install base (not include millions more PS4 active players).

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
Their biggest IP is now multiplatform and the biggest user bases for their IP are outside Xbox. Their console is literally the smallest user base for their biggest IPs, dwell on that a bit. And if I know that, you can bet higher ups at MS know that.

And this isn’t a Phil Spencer/Matt Booth play either, this is being forced on them. Watching Xbox Series sales tank in 23, having to cut down prices and still have limp sales numbers, watching Starfield come and not change their fortunes and missing the zeitgeist…

Gamepass is no longer their primary growth strategy, neither is Xbox, Cloud… what’s left?

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Just imagine Microsoft turned around and said Hey PlayStation we would like to offer Starfield on your console, what do you think.

If i was honestly Playstation i would tell them to "go and get stuffed"