Jim Ryan confirms that PC is a direct competitor to Playstation in FTC documents.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
u2joKyS.png

If he knows this then why does he continue to port the Playstation exclusive library to a competitor platform?

I'm sure his defenders will come in this thread saying how PC ports are still excellent because "reasons".

Continuum

28 May 2023
Haha exactly, as each port continues to shoot up to number 1 on the pirate websites. What an idiotic CEO to admit this but still continue to give the competitor your advantage.
their fault for not using good drm

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
With my corporate hat on, the reality is probably that companies demand perpetual growth and the generational hardware reset is a big risk of that slowing

I think there's a reason PC ports get no marketing. They are low cost exercises with guaranteed ROI even without huge numbers

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Banana and Ezekiel

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Then dont put your games on PC.

Jim and Co thought they could put some earlier games on the system ( GOW, Horizon 1, Spiderman ) so the PC guys would come over to get the sequels ( Ragnarok, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2 ) earlier on PS5.

Instead its just caused crap, PC gamers don’t respect or like PS games like they thought they would. Just keep that shit exclusive to PS5 like Nintendo does. You best generation of game sales was PS4. Without selling on PC. Dont get greedy and think about a quick extra buck.

I know people who bought PS5’s but are waiting for PC versions of FF16, GT7, Spiderman 2, Horizon 2. That equals less sales on PS5, and more on Steam, where Valve takes a percentage of profits compared to PSN sales. They probably wont buy a PS6 because how games are cheaper on PC. Its doing the opposite of Jim/Herman want.

Online games I can understand, put them on PC if you must

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
According to him and Sony they do it to reach more users and make more money.

I know at least 3 people who bought a PS5, but won’t buy a PS6 because they are happy to wait for certain games or just not bothered now because PC games are cheaper. They have been PS gamers since PS1, and PC gamers for a generation.

Yes it makes Sony a quick buck for now, but there also gonna lose a certain percentage of users migrating to PC. The future will show if its worth it.
1-5million extra sales per game or losing 5-10% of your userbase and all the money they spend on 1st and 3rd party games on PSN/PS

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I said this and was attacked by some people on this forum, the PC move is helping to sell Steam Decks and ROG Ally's, not PS5s. WORST MANAGEMENT EVER, the day Ryan/Hulst are gone is the day PlayStation can begin to heal.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I know at least 3 people who bought a PS5, but won’t buy a PS6 because they are happy to wait for certain games or just not bothered now because PC games are cheaper. They have been PS gamers since PS1, and PC gamers for a generation.

Yes it makes Sony a quick buck for now, but there also gonna lose a certain percentage of users migrating to PC. The future will show if its worth it.
1-5million extra sales per game or losing 5-10% of your userbase and all the money they spend on 1st and 3rd party games on PSN/PS
This is me, I've owned every PS console, handheld, and PSVR1/2. If Sony continues down this route I'm not getting a PS6, there's just no point.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is me, I've owned every PS console, handheld, and PSVR1/2. If Sony continues down this route I'm not getting a PS6, there's just no point.
I mean I personally cant be bothered with PC being my main gaming, and I dont want to wait for 1st Party PS games, but there are plenty of people who will. Ive seen a couple die hard fans convert. Its not smart longterm business, short term profits and stats is cool but longterm Im not sure about

Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
nongkris

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Same, I've moved to PC gaming recently and I'm fine with waiting for Sony stuff at this point. It doesn't help that Sony first party has been largely absent for a good 2 years, so I don't really have any reason to stay loyal to them anymore. Especially if their future is going to be day 1 PC GaaS games.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

I don't remember the exact % that Sony mentioned, but I'd say 30% of the people who buys a PS5 didn't own a PS4. So even if that 5-10% would be true that would mean a userbase growth at the end of the generation.

Same, I've moved to PC gaming recently and I'm fine with waiting for Sony stuff at this point. It doesn't help that Sony first party has been largely absent for a good 2 years, so I don't really have any reason to stay loyal to them anymore. Especially if their future is going to be day 1 PC GaaS games.
Other than having to wait around 2 or more years for Sony games, how about the Sony games that never will be ported to PC?

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Jimbo, the god of the PlayStation corporate bootlickers, says out loud what everyone with a fucking brain knows.

"Jimbo what you doing baby?" "Don't you know we cap and excuse your PC push on forums and social media based on the lie that PC is an indirect competitor?"

Even PCMR and Xbox fanboys, astutely, push that line - motivated by perceived self interest, or displaying ignorance, sometimes a combo of both.

I see the forum's top corporate bootlicker trying to correct the narrative and shift perception, both of himself and of the meaning of this revelation. :ROFLMAO:

Refusing to bend the knee....newsflash, you don't have to, we already know you're an idiot, and this punch in the gut if you will, is just one of many, we're past breaking point long ago.

I would masturbate to vindication if I still was a teen. I'm just way too old for this shit. Nonetheless, it should prove to be the most useful of ammo when dealing with the ignorant braindead idiots online who only respond to "higher authority" .... to get them to stop spouting stupidity and infecting grown up discussions with their ignorance. Can't use their little highly regarded and esteemed CEO for that now.

One more talking point dead. Braindead fanboys being braindead fanboys however will find a new talking point to attach themselves to and to hold themselves firmly to, even if made of 100% mental excrement. Anything that causes cognitive dissonance must be avoided - all love for PlayStation and Sony 100% of the time, 24/7. The other platform warriors are obviously motivated by a different incentive structure which boils down to seeing Sony fail or diminished.

What is even more laughable is the many implications this reveals. Like Sony believing PlayStation has a future outside its hardware, and thus moving past hardware with software "everywhere", and also believing that the strategy of enticing folks on PC to go PlayStation by releasing exclusives there is the right incentive structure the policies promote, instead of the total opposite which is the living result.

Contradictions aplenty, fools errands aplenty. All about short term return for a 5-6 year rotating chair administration that is hellbent on breaking established console industry orthodoxy, in part to respond to the requirement of increasing shareholder value and the mandate to "expand" beyond the console TAM, as per request from the accountant CEO who has no idea how the golden goose works. :sick:🤮

Helps that MS's Xbox division is run by a donkey, Nvidia treats PC as a milking operation and Nintendo is forever shy of getting their heads curbstomed again by competing in high end. "Golly gee, look at that demand! Must be doing something right!" - factory made fanboy.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I don't remember the exact % that Sony mentioned, but I'd say 30% of the people who buys a PS5 didn't own a PS4. So even if that 5-10% would be true that would mean a userbase growth at the end of the generation.
Just have to wait and see. Im going by people i know. The percentage could be higher than 5-10% or lower. I dont think the suits at Sony know either. They are taking a chance And time will tell

Other than having to wait around 2 or more years for Sony games, how about the Sony games that never will be ported to PC?
You will have to ask them. For some people games like God of War, or TLOU, Uncharted, Spiderman, Horizon is enough. For some people a game like Ghost of Tsushima isnt worth a whole console for

OP
OP
nongkris

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Helps that MS's Xbox division is run by a donkey, Nvidia treats PC as a milking operation and Nintendo is forever shy of getting their heads curbstomed again by competing in high end. "Golly gee, look at that demand! Must be doing something right!" - factory made fanboy.
You hit the nail on the hand with the current state of things, Pre Jim Ryan Playstation was delivering so many high quality games that their dominance was understood, but with the recent first party drought and subsequent PC ports to gain paltry short term profits, they've basically coasted on that goodwill and being the de-facto high end console maker. The recent news of a horizon PC port just cemented why I'm done giving Playstation a chance anymore.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Pre Jim Ryan Playstation was delivering so many high quality games that their dominance was understood, but with the recent first party drought and subsequent PC ports
Such 'first party drough' doesn't exist.

Most of the games released now/in recent months/in the next year or so and years were greenlighted and started to be developed before Jim Ryan becoming CEO in 2019. Same goes with their decision of growing their business to PC with the ports, Jim Ryan didn't decide it, he doubled down on it in the same way he also doubled down on internal first party development, 2nd party deals, 3rd party deals, VR, game subs, mobile, accesories and movies.

In addition to this, AAA games take longer to be made than a generation or two ago, which means that each studio releases less games per year/each dev team releases a game every more years.

Thanks to the Jim Ryan decisions of acquiring dev and support studios and highly increasing the manpower of the already existing ones to work in more games at the same time than before, plus investing on 2nd party more than ever before, they are working on more first party games than ever before.

Since AAA games take like half a dozen years to be made, it means that the increase of yearly releases will need a few years to be noticiable outside 2nd parties that were signed in recent years but they already were under development.

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023