Jim Ryan: PS5 is expected to catch up with PS4 in Q2; PC revenue $250 million in FY22

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
That's it then, it doesn't get more PC than that. It's always really suspect when they say that the game is cheaper on PC despite releasing at a higher price than what it costs on PS5.

Most of the money they claim to save comes from pirating games, specially single player games that get cracked day one. The typical master waiter hates Sony.

It's actually funny that the cracked version of TLOU Pt 1 ran better than the purchased version due to the "community" releases including a beta version of oodle that solved a lot of streaming issues. So basically, paying for the game yielded a worse experience than paying for it, at least on the release window.

Hi, i think you can't. it wasn't the point i was making, but you got it dawg. here's a hot dog for you: 🌭

Yeah, i appreciate it when people come up with bullshit arguments, try to run away when confronted, and then try and sneak funny comebacks. You failed.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Can you pirate games on PS4? Unless you have a very old PS4 with a very old firmware to jailbroken it then it is impossible right now.
Piracy on consoles is something already fixed for decades... we are not in PS1/PS2 scenario anymore.

And like PS4 the PS5 will probably not have piracy except for some niche jailbroken old consoles.
Also if you pirate on console you can get banned, you'll have a hard time playing online, you won't be able to update, use PS+, etc. On PC there is close to no risk and in the case of single player games like the ones Sony has been releasing you play the exact same game without losing anything.

Sony is going out of their way to complicate thing for themselves, they should focus on GaaS games on PC and really old games.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Also if you pirate on console you can get banned, you'll have a hard time playing online, you won't be able to update, use PS+, etc. On PC there is close to no risk and in the case of single player games like the ones Sony has been releasing you play the exact same game without losing anything.

Sony is going out of their way to complicate thing for themselves, they should focus on GaaS games on PC and really old games.

There's actually ways to play cracked games online in official servers. These are limited, and I have absolutely no idea which games allow for that, but I know its a thing. It's mind boggling.

Again, piracy does not cannibalize sales, but its a huge thing on PC.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
No need for name calling.
Again, piracy does not cannibalize sales, but its a huge thing on PC.
Bullshit. Give the option to PS5 players to easily download and play $70 games for free on the internet and see what happens to the sales of those games.

Only a complete moron would actually believe piracy does not cannibalize sales, do you think movies wouldn't sell more or bring more people to the theaters if that was actually the only way to watch them?

30-years-of-music-sales-2.png

Now, remember that Napster released in 1999.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Bullshit. Give the option to PS5 players to easily download and play $70 games for free on the internet and see what happens to the sales of those games.

Only a complete moron would actually believe piracy does not cannibalize sales, do you think movies wouldn't sell more or bring more people to the theaters if that was actually the only way to watch them?

Ahm.

I'd appreciate if you didn't call me a moron when you don't know what you're talking about

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

As for the other industries that rely on copyright (games, books and music), the study found "no robust statistical evidence of displacement of sales by online piracy." In the case of games, it concluded that unauthorized playing might actually make it more likely users will buy them. None of those results ever appeared in any EU Commission academic studies or to the public anywhere else, however.

• haha

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Ahm.

I'd appreciate if you didn't call me a moron when you don't know what you're talking about
Probably the same study that shows that Gamepass increased sales. You are not going to bullshit me.:ROFLMAO:

I bet if we could pirate cars people would buy more cars.
Think About It GIF by Identity

Also, my money is on you being a pirate going by how defensive of it you are.

Reactions: Puff

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Now, remember that Napster released in 1999.

Probably the same study that shows that Gamepass increased sales. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, when out of arguments, you resort to trying to ignore the study data. Funny enough, studies that show some impact in sales are those sponsored by... Big corporations, you know, the interested parties. And even those cannot provide a direct link between piracy and loss of sales. For example, we know that product pricing impacts sales.

also, your graph shows an increase in Vinyl sales. Interesting, right?

You are not going to bullshit me.

I'm not trying to bullshit you. I own over 300 games on PS store, around 70 on Epic, and around 200 on Steam. I don't give a fuck if a game is available to pirate or not, since I don't download them.

• haha

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Is there a point there?

If you want to read more about the sales slump phenomena, and also how piracy affected the music industry as a whole, there's a few. Some argue it does impact sales, and that's fair, but again, an unbiased study shows it doesn't. I'm not interested in studies sponsored by EMI or Warner Bros, the same guys that sell a CD for 10 quid and pay the artist cents for each copy sold (since packaging and shipping is deducted from their royalty, and they usually only get 10 to 15%).

If we're considering pirating that big deal, I can argue that services like Spotify are actually way worse for artists. I got a grand total of a few cents for over a thousand streams of my bands album. That's fucking ridiculous. Meanwhole, the first sale got me 1 quid (we're independent).

• haha

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Is there a point there?

If you want to read more about the sales slump phenomena, and also how piracy affected the music industry as a whole, there's a few. Some argue it does impact sales, and that's fair, but again, an unbiased study shows it doesn't. I'm not interested in studies sponsored by EMI or Warner Bros, the same guys that sell a CD for 10 quid and pay the artist cents for each copy sold (since packaging and shipping is deducted from their royalty, and they usually only get 10 to 15%).

If we're considering pirating that big deal, I can argue that services like Spotify are actually way worse for artists. I got a grand total of a few cents for over a thousand streams of my bands album. That's fucking ridiculous. Meanwhole, the first sale got me 1 quid (we're independent).

Piracy obviously negatively impacts sales, only someone in complete denial and with an agenda would even consider it doesn't.

That's how I never fell for the BS that Gamepass increased sales, something are just too obvious.

The whole Steam business model was created to compete with piracy, it would not need to compete with something that doesn't impact sales. The complete domination of online games and F2P on PC also has a lot to do with piracy as these type of games suffer less from it.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Just think about...

Most PC gamers that uses pirated games will rather not play games than buy them if there is no pirated version.
The number of PC gamers that will move to a paid model if there is no piracy is very low and are these ones that even playing some games pirated still buy others games... they are the middle.

People that only play pirated games will probably never buy games.
They can donate to hackers but never buy legally a game.

Reactions: Bryank75

Banana

10 Jan 2023
You sound like one of those Steam cult members, It really baffles me that Valve has trained y'all into thinking downloading another more launcher for 30 seconds is too much work. The biggest PC games also have their own launcher and are doing just fine with their own launcher, Roblox, LoL, blizzard, Minecraft.

If sony wants to make meaningful moves in PC, they'll need to stop giving Valve a 30% percent cut and make their own launcher, and create a PS Plus tier for PC players.

It's only the steam cult members that threaten to pirate games on PC because they didn't release on their "favorite launcher".
I'm not threatening piracy, as sony doesn't make games I enjoy based on my time with a ps4.

I like to keep my PC clean. I won't buy anymore EA or ubisoft games (if they made anything I like) because even if you buy it on Steam you still need their launcher.

PC players aren't going to pay for a service to use their own internet that they already pay for. If you want to be cucked by huge corporations, just stick with consoles. They're already are PCs with a locked down OS.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
How come CDPR games sell so well on PC when they are single player DRM free?
And Xbox games selling better than Sony ones on steam despite being crackable and on game pass?

Does not compute.