Jim Ryan: PS5 is expected to catch up with PS4 in Q2; PC revenue $250 million in FY22

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
a3sESe1.jpg

Total sales of the PC version of Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered have surpassed 1.5 million units, while sales of the PC version of The Last of Us Part I surpassed 368,000 units, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced.

Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered for PC has generated $52 million in revenue, while The Last of Us Part I for PC generated $15.5 million in revenue.
Notice that TLOUP1 PC sold that in 3 weeks of spring, while Spider-Man sold that in 8 months and a half with a holiday season in the middle.

There is nothing good in the PC and Mobile numbers…
It was all below expectations.
Sony entire PC strategy is all fucked up.

A 133% CAGR now is bad? Lol!

They keep growing their revenue a lot every year, make a lot of profit from a few ports of old games. They expect PC generate 20% of their total game sales this fiscal year.

They only missed their target by $50M, probably because didn't expect to release TLOUP1 just at the end of the fiscal year, pretty likely got released a handful months after they originally expected due to its state.

image.png

Seeing the big increase for the current year, pretty likely it's because some TLOUP1 (or even Returnal) sales were expected for the previous FY and will have them in the current one instead.

And well, this and because as they mentioned in their PC plans last year they'll keep increasing the amount of PC ports released per year. Not to decrease it as some of you were saying.

What is that slide even trying to show?

"Respondents indicating how much momentum a brand has"? Seems like total nonsense.
The numbers represent the score of how players value each brand.

Blue=PS, red=Nintendo, green=Xbox

PlayStation is obviously the best rated brand since many years ago.

If you're going for PC, you better have your own launcher/store,
They are working on it. But as of now, they only have like half a dozen games to put in the store. I assume they'll release it once they have a way bigger PC catalog and userbase.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Notice that TLOUP1 PC sold that in 3 weeks of spring, while Spider-Man sold that in 8 months and a half with a holiday season in the middle.
TLOU also was buoyed by having the HBO show. I think the port was destroyed by day one issues on PC and the bad word of mouth from that. Could have easily been a 1mil+ seller if it had come out in a good state.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sircaw

Banana

10 Jan 2023
You own store/launcher is essential.
You are a platform holder not a 3rd-party publisher… do your job right.

But but nobody will buy games outside Steam…

Bullshit… if PC gamers wants to play PlayStation games they will need to buy on PS Store.
That would all but guarantee piracy.

If you want to dethrone Valve, create a better service. No platform can compete with Steam.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The fact that Sony expects to sell about as much PC games as PS games by FY 2025 is disturbing.
Fake news, Sony didn't say that. They said that they expect to release (not sell) the same percentage of titles that year.

The difference is that in PS5 are new games while in PC most of them (exceptions will be Bungie and maybe potentially some GaaS) will be ports of multiple years old games.

image.png

But even considering that, the amount of PS5 releases will be higher than now, they'll keep increasing their investment in new PS5 games:
image.png

Could have easily been a 1mil+ seller if it had come out in a good state.
It will end selling more than 1M, but it needs time. That was only 3 weeks and shipping it in a bad state. Even Spider-Man wasn't even close to sell 1M in a few weeks, so obviously a 10 years old game wasn't going to achieve it.

With the "Steam user reviews x 25" method for estimates, TLOUP1 sales are now at around 832K (in less than 2 months) while Spider-Man is at around 1.56M (in 8 months and a half).

It will continue selling over time, specially during holidays and when discounted. Also, when finally totally fixed.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
image.png

Wow, they probably didn't even clear 70 million revenue when you leave out Destiny..... what a disaster.

Why even bother? Just why?
In addition to Destiny and these two games they have a lot of PC games more that also sold copies this year.

They bother because have a 133% CAGR and these ports give them hundreds of millions of profit, and they estimate to get 20% of the game sales of this FY from a few PC ports of old games, while also allowing them reach millions of PC players who will never buy a console.

Notice also that the TLOUP1 number is for its first around 3 weeks only.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
There is something wrong in your head or malicious agenda at play if you think using Destiny numbers to puff up the underwhelming results that still missed target is somehow great cause anything > 0 is great.

Yukinka 🤦‍♂️

I sold 10 lemonade glasses on my stand out of the jug I made yesterday for myself. That ain't paying rent nor worth my time either - time = money, resource allocation = money - opportunity cost. If the angle is "as long as it's not $0 (since we don't know porting costs) it's a great venture" we're really arguing nothing. And that argument of course assumes absolutely nothing as it concerns to potential competitor threats. It's literally a vacuum, pony island take where everything > 0 is a positive under any consideration. Easy to argue on forums for an ego fix - just point at the number... but not serious to anyone with a working brain.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There is something wrong in your head or malicious agenda at play if you think using Destiny numbers to puff up the underwhelming results that still missed target is somehow great cause anything > 0 is great.

Yukinka 🤦‍♂️

I sold 10 lemonade glasses on my stand out of the jug I made yesterday for myself. That ain't paying rent nor worth my time either - time = money, resource allocation = money. If the angle is "as long as it's not $0 (since we don't know porting costs) it's a great venture" we're really arguing nothing.
Why shouldn't they count Destiny? They bought Bungie for this, they are now owned by SIE, so they appear in the SIE numbers.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
In addition to Destiny and these two games they have a lot of PC games more that also sold copies this year.

They bother because have a 133% CAGR and these ports give them hundreds of millions of profit, and they estimate to get 20% of the game sales of this FY from a few PC ports of old games, while also allowing them reach millions of PC players who will never buy a console.

Notice also that the TLOUP1 number is for its first around 3 weeks only.

'hundreds of millions of profit'.... the REVENUE for the year for PC ports is 250 million (See slides above). Thats not profit.... that is before you deduct everything like expenses, marketing, steams 30% etc.

Out of that 250 million, most of it is Destiny.

So the actual profit is tiny.... pathetic. Absolutely useless.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
'hundreds of millions of profit'.... the REVENUE for the year for PC ports is 250 million (See slides above). Thats not profit.... that is before you deduct everything like expenses, marketing, steams 30% etc.

Out of that 250 million, most of it is Destiny.

So the actual profit is tiny.... pathetic. Absolutely useless.
Steam already gets its 30% (where are included transactions costs) before paying Sony the (70%) revenue of the game and these ports don't cost them more than a few millions counting marketing. Most the revenue from the ports is profit.

And no, most of that revenue isn't Destiny. In the screenshot is shown that with only a couple ports (one of them counting only a few days) almost made 70M, and they had many games more selling that year.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Steam already gets its 30% (where are included transactions costs) before paying Sony the (70%) revenue of the game and these ports don't cost them more than a few millions counting marketing. Most the revenue from the ports is profit.

And no, most of that revenue isn't Destiny. In the screenshot is shown that with only a couple ports (one of them counting only a few days) almost made 70M, and they had many games more selling that year.

They had others selling, sure but they sold very very badly...we all know that.

I'd like to see the costs breakdown.

We also dont know the longterm harm these ports are doing, with pirating, less people attracted to buying PS5's, less subscriptions and link in sales etc etc.

It also negates the effect of building a large catalog of exclusives on PS5 to attract people, now the console will possibly only have a few games truly exclusive at a time.

Nintendo do it right. NO PORTS. EVER.

If PC want exclusives, Valve or NVidia can make them. Or Microsoft.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
With the "Steam user reviews x 25" method for estimates, TLOUP1 sales are now at around 832K (in less than 2 months) while Spider-Man is at around 1.56M (in 8 months and a half).
Sony data for TLOU PC is for April 23, 2023… a month ago.
There is no way it is 832k right now.

Playertracker probably has the more close data and has TLOU PC at 386k right now.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Destiny is way over $100m from these $250m.
Spider-man 52m.
TLOU PC 15.5m.

The rest probably didn’t sell combined $50m… and I’m being very generous because Destiny 2 last expansion broke records on PC.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony data for TLOU PC is for April 23, 2023… a month ago.
There is no way it is 832k right now.

Playertracker probably has the more close data and has TLOU PC at 386k right now.

Tlou is not even in the top 100 anymore on Steam and the peak today was 1.8k (Horizon came out 3 years ago and the peak today was 3.8k). TLOU PC is not selling anymore. It will take months and deep sales to reach 1 million. It's a massive flop.

I don't really understand that one myself
What is that slide even trying to show?

"Respondents indicating how much momentum a brand has"? Seems like total nonsense.
I think they are saying "Brand C" is trash.

Press Conference Kermit GIF

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
250M is what, 1% of PlayStation's revenue? Glad to see Jimbo defending a successful business model.

By the way, the whole "people pirate hence they don't pay" has been debunked for years. People that pirate will pirate regardless. What this means is, if those games had DRM, sales would pretty much be the same.

The point here is, there's a shitload of people asking for ports but they don't intend on paying for them, they want to get them for free.