Joseph Staten, head of creative on Halo Infinite and cinematic director on the first three Halo games, is leaving Microsoft

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Keep in mind that this is the guy that was brought in to save Halo.

Shame, it could have been an amazing experience, especially since they had not competition at the time.

Reactions: Bryank75 and Puff

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I think we need a thread on how MSFT gaming is bleeding talent at an unbelievable rate..

Staten, Rod Fergussen, Nakamura, Mikami, Drew Murray and from what I heard tons of Zenimax people left.

Seems like it will be harder to buy the industry than MSFT might have assumed.

There's also the issue that they laid off people from their newly acquired companies. I can't imagine that made people at, for example, Bethesda feel very valued.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
There's also the issue that they laid off people from their newly acquired companies. I can't imagine that made people at, for example, Bethesda feel very valued.

I always thought the way they bought Zenimax and then immediately went on to Activision was quite disrespectful...

Like, Zenimax is old news, now Activision is the new hotness... and I already get the feeling that the Xbox fanbase is looking for the next thing.

It's all about the acquisition cycle and not about games. Corporate level moves, not gaming.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I think we need a thread on how MSFT gaming is bleeding talent at an unbelievable rate..

Staten, Rod Fergussen, Nakamura, Mikami, Drew Murray and from what I heard tons of Zenimax people left.

Yeah, but they still own a fuck ton of established ip from their merger. Talent or not.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
What’s scary is they are mask off with this as the strategy. It’s not even about the pretense of Making good games, just blocking Sony out.

There's no mask...it's all about muscling their way to the top now and making everyone pay them for everything.

'We offer it cheapest on our PC, Cloud and console...cause we are the only ones with all of those and we own all the big frnachises too'... nothing anti-competitive about that.../S

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Aside from the management who have either contractual financial penalties for leaving or rewards for staying, nobody in their right mind stays with a company that MS bought out.

Microsoft post-merger brain drain has been a thing since the 1980s. When they bought Vizio, so much of the team left that it took over two years to release a new version of the application.

People now don’t seem to know it, but almost three quarters of the original Bungie staff gave their notice the day it was announced that they’d been purchased by MS. They went from having the capacity to work on two projects at once to barely being able to release content-complete games overnight.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Wasn’t Obsidian the first to have mass departures post Microsoft purchase? I mean this has been the trend. It honestly doesn’t seem like devs themselves want to work for Microsoft. You can buy all the IP in the world. It don’t mean shit when those game makers don’t want to work for you. Especially when you’re leaving money on the table and sending games out to die when they can’t make money on gamepass and actually be able to make more games. And yea MS still cares about making money. Halo didn’t deliver and it got gutted and shot in the head. There’s your result.

There’s a high likelihood that many of those who left 343 in the last few years have already made their way to Bungie. Some have. I expect more to do so. Being familiar with tiger alone is a big part of this. Even if 343 and Bungie’s engine have diverged quite a bit over the years…. At least one of their new projects is also built with the current d2 engine. It might be all of them but there were job listing for Unreal experience if I remember that report correctly.

Regardless of what you believe in the Staten and Bungie split is whatever. I haven’t seen real details outside the original Kotaku article so I just assume Xbox offered him a better salary because they could.

Last edited:

TheLastOfSnatcher

6 Feb 2023

There's a picture to paint here. MS are buying IPs, but they are not acquiring the developers.

You know what will happen in a few years. See Rare as an example. While some argue that Sea of Piss is their best game ever, others hate what Rare became after most left.

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Look at these disgusting tweets from deranged fanboys:

I've seen the whole "Sony are throwing their devs under the bus and admitting they suck" narrative pop up over this COD fight a lot recently and it's disingenuous as fuck. Not wanting to lose the benefits an independent COD gives them doesn't mean they think their devs are incompetent, that's a dumb argument to make. I'd much rather their devs make what they actually want to make than be pressured to drop everything to try and replace COD, as the end result of a project the devs actually care about is typically much better.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Game Master Meme GIF by Hyper RPG

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75