Joseph Staten, head of creative on Halo Infinite and cinematic director on the first three Halo games, is leaving Microsoft

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I think we need a thread on how MSFT gaming is bleeding talent at an unbelievable rate..

Staten, Rod Fergussen, Nakamura, Mikami, Drew Murray and from what I heard tons of Zenimax people left.

Seems like it will be harder to buy the industry than MSFT might have assumed.
Who is even left? Pentiment guy, Todd and Tim Schafer?

The big CoD and Bliizard names already left ABK long ago.

24 Jun 2022
Some regulator must block the acquisition, they are going to dominate gaming with their monopoly!

If there's enough a trend of talent leaving all these same studios Microsoft are acquiring, I think that could be argued as a form of employee displacement driven by lack of confidence/satisfaction in their new owners, and could be used as a point in justifying blocking a M&A.

I mean think about it; if you're buying up these IP but the key talent behind those IP are leaving, then those IP are effectively devalued and dramatically increase their chance of losing revenue. Whereas the talent would have likely stayed without the M&A, those IP retaining their market value.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If there's enough a trend of talent leaving all these same studios Microsoft are acquiring, I think that could be argued as a form of employee displacement driven by lack of confidence/satisfaction in their new owners, and could be used as a point in justifying blocking a M&A.

I mean think about it; if you're buying up these IP but the key talent behind those IP are leaving, then those IP are effectively devalued and dramatically increase their chance of losing revenue. Whereas the talent would have likely stayed without the M&A, those IP retaining their market value.
Now seriously: it's normal that from time to time some people leave, or some project always go wrong even in the best studios.

But in recent times many key top talent from Halo, Forza and Tango. There have been also hints that things at Fable or Perfect Dark let's say aren't progressing as expected. Seems there's some serious shitfest with their management.

Regarding CoD the big names don't need to leave, because they already left years before Phil Spencer decided to 'reevaluate their relationship with Acquisition due to the controversies' (a day or two after that mail he contacted Kotick and started conversations to acquire them).

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I always thought the way they bought Zenimax and then immediately went on to Activision was quite disrespectful...

Like, Zenimax is old news, now Activision is the new hotness... and I already get the feeling that the Xbox fanbase is looking for the next thing.

It's all about the acquisition cycle and not about games. Corporate level moves, not gaming.
That’s because, even after buying Zenax, Xbox just offers the same old shit, over and over.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Take this with a pinch of salt, serrano is the guy who would probably get his own name wrong.

If he said it it's probably wrong. A broken clock can get the time more accurately than that guy can leak something.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
If he said it it's probably wrong. A broken clock can get the time more accurately than that guy can leak something.
Well he is not going to leave xbox and then suddenly go back to xbox so either EA, Respawn will get good work out of him on BF even more so now since they are committed once again to a story campaign. Or one of SIE 1st party studios, and finally ofc independent.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
No, he doesn’t. He’s been slurping green cock for many years at this point. Almost half of Double Fine’s releases were Xbox exclusives and the studio was founded with MS money.
That dude is a burnout his last game on PSN that i played had me jumping in and out of shit and i cant even remember the name of the game😂😭

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Do you have a link about the seed funding?
The first Psychonauts was the first Double Fine project, as an exclusive for the original Xbox and the team was bullion after the concept was greenlit by MS. He built the studio based on the green light, so clearly it was on Microsoft’s dime. It only became multiplat after MS fucked him over and cancelled the game before Majesco stepped in to publish it on the condition it be ported to PS2 as well.

The fact he remained so cozy with MS even after that just shows how stupid Tim Schafer is.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You must be incredibly easy to beat at chess, with your absolute absence of foresight.
I doubt he plays chess, looks more like he does cross dress.
Make Up GIF by Netflix Indonesia