Key example of unnecessary bloat in PlayStation Studios

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They got a huge (comparatively) amount of the gross for every Spiderman PS4 bundle that was sold, like shockingly so. It was one of the things that came out in the leak. Bearing in mind that Sony counts those bundles towards total game sales when discussing Spidey and his 20 million units.
FUD.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Spiderman 2 made its money and lots of profit. Just like all the games this gen and last gen apart from a couple like
Destruction all stars

Profits from games arent the issue.

Its probably too much stuff elsewhere in Playstation and the new CEO's are cutthroat

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Personally wouldnt touch Insomniac as they are producing the goods consistently. Why risk hanging what is working? They are producing more games than anyone wlse at high quality

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Yeah 4 writers is too much, I don't know how you can have any real art left after trying to get consensus from so many people... I enjoyed the game but not as much as the first.

If one writer can create a masterpiece book, all they need is one good writer for the story and maybe a handful for dialogue. IMO

All three Insomniac Spider Man games were an excellent 9.0/10 for me personally with the story/characters in the first game being stronger than the second while SM 2 had the better combat and switching between Peter/Miles while Miles had a good overall balance between the combat and story/characters. In general, I agree with you.

Exactly what I was thinking.

You only need one cook. Keep the best one.

Weird to have so many writers for one game. Heck even for several games that is too many.

Agreed. One main writer and one secondary writer if necessary is more than enough for the main story campaign. Then I could see having two other writers for the side missions and stuff like that.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
If we could stay on topic and avoid politics or meta-commentary, I'd appreciate it.
You don't understand, @Satoru is so woke he haven't slept in 96h.

He is in a critical condition. We need to help him. He gonna do crazy thing like playing Forspoken just to sleep.

Reactions: Zzero

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming

He is in a critical condition. We need to help him. He gonna do crazy thing like playing Forspoken just to sleep.
Its like you are just trying to argue

Fox Finger Wag GIF by Lethal Weapon

ben carson t GIF

Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Enough now with the @Satoru woke stuff please; we all enjoy a good laugh here and there, but it's getting a bit much now.

lets focus in what the real problem is on this forum: @Gamernyc78

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

This is a direct comparison of the writing credits between Marvels Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2.

I have to say that I find the extra writers and management did not result in a product anywhere near as good as the first games writing.

Both games performed great. They did put more people in the second and is making more money, so I assume they may be fine with it.

Insomniac keeps releasing many good, very successful and profitable games, so I don't see any issue there.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Enough now with the @Satoru woke stuff please; we all enjoy a good laugh here and there, but it's getting a bit much now.

lets focus in what the real problem is on this forum: @Gamernyc78
I want my jaw to be safe.

Anyway, now that Bryank regain the privilage. Hope I can get enough Tifa "curve shots" for a thread. Prevy is back.

Reactions: Sircaw
24 Jun 2022
It is guaranteed. It's Spider-man made by Insomniac it going to sell over 20m+ copies. Only way it flop is if PlayStation is dead.

Yeah but you have to admit, you do not need 20+ writers for a single game story. Just find better writers at that point.

20+ writers shows that there are some redundancies in that area of the game production & development, so trimming the fat could be beneficial.

another horrible take from the jim ryan avatar, first you wanted PS5 to cut their price because Series S has been discounted and losing money, and now you want people from Sony's most valuable and profitable studio fired because you've never wrote a story in your life.

If you look at other media, some of the best, most complex stories ever written...weren't written by 20+ people. A few were even written by only a single person. It would be one thing if something like Spiderman 2 were dealing with very complex topics and ideas (dualism, deep ideas into very specific religions, hard real-life astrophysics etc.) and you had a team of people to do research on those topics for accuracy sake while a couple of people handled the creative aspects of the main narrative. But that isn't the case here.

The truth is part of streamlining production pipelines for games is going to include eliminating redundancies, and that isn't just at the PR and marketing levels. If you can get a high-quality story by halving the amount of writers (or get an even better story while doing such; 20+ people is potentially a "too many cooks in the kitchen" situation and you end up more with stories by committee than stories that feel organic and genuine), then do it.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Both games performed great. They did put more people in the second and is making more money, so I assume they may be fine with it.

Insomniac keeps releasing many good, very successful and profitable games, so I don't see any issue there.
Exactly, they have great work rate, probably the best in the industry. And with high quality.
Let Insomniac cook the way they have been doing.
They are above everyone else when it come to games of that quality being released in quantity.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
They need to cut Sweet Baby Inc's services. They're too expensive for what they provide* in my estimate[¹]

*What they provide is nothing
[¹]I estimate they charge some sort of fee
What they provide is much worse than nothing, I wish they were a bunch of actual slackers this way they would not actively destroy any project they work on... now they do stuff to show their involvement to managers and they get credited 🤡.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Insomniac scaled up to a two game studio after Spiderman and achieved SM2 with no crunch

Shared resources across a 2 game studio will inevitably mean more names on the credit list as people come on and off the project for different spurts of work

It is highly likely this is what let them avoid crunching

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Whoever is deciding letting go of studios and workers for studios is retarded.
Especially Insomniac who is the only studio who is releasing lots of games of that quality. Let them be.

Im ok with them letting go of staff outside of the studios. That includes Hermen lol

Reactions: Nhomnhom