Known leaker @HipHopGamer claims that Nintendo will start putting their 1st party games on PC

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
If Nintendo start porting to PC then the co sole industry is on the brink of collapse and they're hedging their bets.

It'll never happen.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I love this Hip Hop Gamer guy but I think this is totally fake.

Like all the other "insiders", he makes a lot of personal guesses saying they are leaks to see. And then if any of them sticks then say "see? I was right!".

In this case, he saw that after MS and Sony did it he assume Nintendo would also do it, specially now that it's getting again competition in the portable side, which will mean next gen won't be as comfortable as they have been with the Switch being the only portable in the market.

In terms of marketing make sense, specially considering that differences between console, PC and mobile gaming will blur even more in the following years, where all 3 markets will continue to be merged more and more, specially once streaming keeps growing and improving.

But it's Nintendo, they still didn't realize that achievements, 4K, multigame voice chat from the console and proper online multiplayer are a thing. Nintendo may do it, yes. But way later than the other ones. Closer to 2036 than 2026. I don't see them doing it in 2026, specially 2 years after releasing a new device.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I’m going to need an assist here, was that sarcasm? I’m not saying Nintendo would never release on PC, but it's hard to believe right now.
I like the guy and he had got stuff right before but I'm just VERY skeptical on this particular item.
I agree, with Xbox leaving the console space, Nintendo and Sony should be focusing on strengthening their platforms instead of weakening them.

But idk I doubt HHG would say it with this much conviction if he didn't have real insider info
It makes so much sense. It remains to be seen if anyone other than Valve is going to step up to make the best console experience on a PC.
This makes no sense, you can never create a console experience on PC because there's no one "console experience". PS, Nintendo, and Xbox all have different experiences, and "PC gaming" experience is even more broad, potato PC gaming is completely different from real PC gaming.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
the future of gaming will be all apps like Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max on your PC, Smart TV and Phone, the console will be just one of many ways to play games, and i'm sure by the time the PS7 comes out (10 years from now) consoles will be digital only, quite sad to see but i think you can't stop technology

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
They will release 1 game for 1 week and then delete it from the steam store.

• haha
Reactions: Umar

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
i will continue to buy PlayStation consoles as long as they exist, and i hope Sony continues to make consoles for decades and decades, even if there's only 10M people buying it

• thisistheway
Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I doubt it will happen, but Nintendo putting their games on PC makes 100x more sense than Sony does. People only buy Nintendo for 1st party games, they have very little 3rd party support. Sony makes a ton from 3rd party game sales, DLC, and microtransactions, Nintendo probably makes pennies compared to what Sony makes. More than 80% of their revenue comes directly from 1st party game sales. So unlike Sony, they wouldn't really risk much by porting games to PC.

And also the difference between gaming on PC and gaming on a PlayStation is very minimal, meanwhile a Switch/Switch 2 has a huge differentiating factor from PC, because you can play on the go. People can still buy a Switch if they care about portability/hybrid, but if they don't they can still buy 1st party games and just play them regularly on PC. The Steam Deck, ROG Ally, and other PC handhelds exist, but those are very niche and pretty much nonexistent compared to a Nintendo handheld.

And knowing Nintendo, they'll do what Sony should've done and put the strongest DRM on their games.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
I doubt it will happen, but Nintendo putting their games on PC makes 100x more sense than Sony does. People only buy Nintendo for 1st party games, they have very little 3rd party support. Sony makes a ton from 3rd party game sales, DLC, and microtransactions, Nintendo probably makes pennies compared to what Sony makes. More than 80% of their revenue comes directly from 1st party game sales. So unlike Sony, they wouldn't really risk much by porting games to PC.

And also the difference between gaming on PC and gaming on a PlayStation is very minimal, meanwhile a Switch/Switch 2 has a huge differentiating factor from PC, because you can play on the go. People can still buy a Switch if they care about portability/hybrid, but if they don't they can still buy 1st party games and just play them regularly on PC. The Steam Deck, ROG Ally, and other PC handhelds exist, but those are very niche and pretty much nonexistent compared to a Nintendo handheld.

And knowing Nintendo, they'll do what Sony should've done and put the strongest DRM on their games.
i doubt Nintendo would ever put their games on Steam, they would create their own launcher and release games only there, where they have 100% of each sale and control over the users, Sony should've done that, putting games on Steam and Epic is a huge mistake, they're growing these bases and it can be a problem to them in the long term future, cause they have to pay the 30% on each copy there

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I agree, with Xbox leaving the console space, Nintendo and Sony should be focusing on strengthening their platforms instead of weakening them.

But idk I doubt HHG would say it with this much conviction if he didn't have real insider info

This makes no sense, you can never create a console experience on PC because there's no one "console experience". PS, Nintendo, and Xbox all have different experiences, and "PC gaming" experience is even more broad, potato PC gaming is completely different from real PC gaming.

Exactly, now is the time to double and triple down on the console model, given their position.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
i doubt Nintendo would ever put their games on Steam, they would create their own launcher and release games only there, where they have 100% of each sale and control over the users, Sony should've done that, putting games on Steam and Epic is a huge mistake, they're growing these bases and it can be a problem to them in the long term future, cause they have to pay the 30% on each copy there
Sadly, PC gamers are a bit slow and love to cheer for monopolies, if a game isn't on Steam then they'll just wait 10 years for it to get cracked before buying it on a different launcher. But if anyone can get away with having their own launcher then it's Nintendo. But the main thing they need to focus on is strong DRM.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I think Nintendo must know the PCMR perverts would have nude mods implemented in their games in no time.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Valve have a good set of guidelines for game developers:
The Steam Input API is designed to allow you to easily enable full support for Steam Input devices in your game. We define full support as the follows:

• Your game uses the proper controller-specific glyphs when showing in-game input prompts.
  • The Steam Input configurator screen uses in-game actions that the player performs in your game, instead of keys or buttons.
  • You've published an official configuration for the controllers you support.
  • Your game doesn't restrict the user's ability to customize their controls. This means it allows any mix of mouse, keyboard, or gamepad input simultaneously.
  • When your game wants keyboard input (e.g. when naming avatars), you use the API to automatically bring up the text entry UI.
  • Your game has no launchers that require mouse or KB input - or even better, no launcher at all.

To ensure users have a good experience from the couch, we also recommend the following:

• Make your UI readable from several feet away. Our rule of thumb: when your game is running at 1920x1080, your fonts should be a minimum of 24px in size.
  • Start your game in fullscreen by default when the user is running Steam Big Picture (the "SteamTenfoot" environment variable will be set)
  • For bonus points, at first launch detect the user's screen resolution and set your resolution to match it.

SteamOS handles many other issues related to A/V settings, controller support, multiplayer parties, etc. It's pretty easy to build your own machine running something like nobara, chimera, or HoloISO. We recently got news that the next Aya handheld will ship with one of these.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
How would he know this? Hiphopgamer has gotten stuff right before but there's no indication he has sources that know Nintendo stuff, plus this would be way out of character for Nintendo, Nintendo controls their property very closely and putting it on PC would be like losing any of that control

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Valve have a good set of guidelines for game developers:

SteamOS handles many other issues related to A/V settings, controller support, multiplayer parties, etc. It's pretty easy to build your own machine running something like nobara, chimera, or HoloISO. We recently got news that the next Aya handheld will ship with one of these.
There's more to console gaming than just controller lol. If Steam actually wants to improve and create a "console like experience", then they should bring optical disc drives back to PC! And start asking 3rd party companies to print physical discs for PC, with NO DRM.

If they ever do that, they'll have my full support.

epzk2vdmdat01.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
image.png

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75