Lego Horizon Adventures is on Switch because Playstation Studio’s Guerrilla Games wanted the game to reach more people

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Nintendo is a complete joke in the post-pandemic world.

ukBtvyx.jpeg
I specifically said Japan...have you seen Famitsu weekly this gen? It's extremely rare to see a PlayStation game on the charts at all, that's why Stellar Blade and Ronin doing as well as they did in Japan is seen as a big deal.

This is what it's looked like every week since 2018 lmao.

image.png

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I can change my opinion

PC ports are one thing, this just shows they have absolutely no understanding of why people buy Playstation
i'm glad you saw the light, and things will only continue to get worse from here...

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I can change my opinion

PC ports are one thing, this just shows they have absolutely no understanding of why people buy Playstation
They do understand. They don't care.

“In the past, we wanted to popularize console and the 1st party titles' main purpose was to make the console popular. It is true, but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, 1st party can be grown with multiplatform and that can help operating profit to improve. So that is another one we want to proactively work on.I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margins, so I would like to go aggressive in improving our margin performance.” - Hiroki Totoki

This is why I'm so critical of current sony leadership. They have the mindset of venture capital and they don't mind undermining the fundamentals of the company if it can juice their numbers until it's time for them to bail.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
They do understand. They don't care.

“In the past, we wanted to popularize console and the 1st party titles' main purpose was to make the console popular. It is true, but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, 1st party can be grown with multiplatform and that can help operating profit to improve. So that is another one we want to proactively work on.I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margins, so I would like to go aggressive in improving our margin performance.” - Hiroki Totoki

This is why I'm so critical of current sony leadership. They have the mindset of venture capital and they don't mind undermining the fundamentals of the company if it can juice their numbers until it's time for them to bail.
They are completely unambitious that's their problem

Sony up until mid PS4 years were the market shapers. Now they are market followers. Sony were the guys who came in, changed the whole market, appealed to older gamers. They were dominating consoles and creating their own bespoke hardware so ambitious that it had military and scientific applications. Dominating the whole HD-DVD and Blu Ray war as a biproduct of their ambition. They created CPUs so far ahead that the consoles 2 generations later are struggling to beat.

They had a visionary in computing (Kutaragi) who was talking about AI and ray tracing in the PS2 era who they chucked out the door. I just compare to the likes of NVIDIA who are on the way to being the richest company in the world on the back of their computing prowess. That could have been Sony. Kutaragi would 100% have been on the forefront of AI and ray tracing innovation and leveraging gaming tech to do it

Sony once dominated consoles and that still wasn't enough so they went and sold 80 million PSPs as well. Would love to know what Kutaragi, Hirai and the other OGs think of selling on Nintendo. I don't think they'd be impressed by it at all

Sony could create their own handheld and shift market share but instead they take the cheap and nasty route of sucking up to Nintendo. Nintendo is alone in a sub market they are selling PS2 numbers on and Sony's response to that is porting Horizon Lego instead of making a handheld, stealing market share, scaling up developers who can support a handheld and selling 60-70 million

The Sony of the past if they wanted to get into PC wouldn't have just lazily pumped out some ports here and there on to Steam. They would have launched dozens at once, exclusive to their launcher and maybe even done their own CPU and GPU devices to take on NVIDIA, Intel and AMD while they were at it

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They are completely unambitious that's their problem

Sony up until mid PS4 years were the market shapers. Now they are market followers.
Nah, they are console market leaders and depending of the quarter or year, now also of the entire gaming.

And they aim to increase their market share, userbase, revenue and profits. And to grow in console, PC (where they are becoming one of the top publishers) and mobile.

Soon they'll also be one of the very top PC publishers and will be generating more profit than Nintendo.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Nah, they are console market leaders and depending of the quarter or year, now also of the entire gaming.

And they aim to increase their market share, userbase, revenue and profits. And to grow in console, PC (where they are becoming one of the top publishers) and mobile.

Soon they'll also be one of the very top PC publishers and will be generating more profit than Nintendo.
Can’t generate profit if doing so needs you to kill of your own console platform.

Nintendo will continue to have bigger profits w a much smaller revenue I can see Nintendo Switch 2 era being Nintendo market share over 100 billion with expansions like movies, anime, parks & toys/merch. Also Nintendo profits will hit 10 billion by the end of Switch 2 as they’ve shown to be doubling down & triple downing on there console platform while also getting more 3rd party & buying a port studio to port 3rd party games on PS, PC & mobile & bringing them to Nintendo taking 30% cuts while bolstering Nintendo platform, console & storefront making Nintendo the way to play games since there library continues to grow in 3rd party support & having true permanent exclusive games where you can only play & experience on there own console platform.

Nintendo also seek growth in the pricing I can see more Nintendo games being $70 where they was $40 or $50 + there subscription going to $40 & eventually $60 per year seems like a reasonable expansion to gain more profit without harming your platform. Oh & it looks like PS ip will hit there platform w a Legofied version like Lego GOW, Lego Uncharted, Lego TLOU & Lego Ratchet & Clank going day 1 on Switch 2.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Can’t generate profit if doing so needs you to kill of your own console platform.
The factual data says their console platform is more successful than ever in basically all KPIs and keeps growing. They are only killing their platform in your dreams.

Nintendo will continue to have bigger profits w a much smaller revenue I can see Nintendo Switch 2 era being Nintendo market share over 100 billion with expansions like movies, anime, parks & toys/merch. Also Nintendo profits will hit 10 billion by the end of Switch 2 as they’ve shown to be doubling down & triple downing on there console platform while also getting more 3rd party & buying a port studio to port 3rd party games on PS, PC & mobile & bringing them to Nintendo taking 30% cuts while bolstering Nintendo platform, console & storefront making Nintendo the way to play games since there library continues to grow in 3rd party support & having true permanent exclusive games where you can only play & experience on there own console platform.

Nintendo also seek growth in the pricing I can see more Nintendo games being $70 where they was $40 or $50 + there subscription going to $40 & eventually $60 per year seems like a reasonable expansion to gain more profit without harming your platform. Oh & it looks like PS ip will hit there platform w a Legofied version like Lego GOW, Lego Uncharted, Lego TLOU & Lego Ratchet & Clank going day 1 on Switch 2.

10 billion? I assume you mean revenue instead of profit, because these are their numbers:

Nintendo's (including not gaming) for year ended March 31, 2024
  • Net sales: $11 billion, up 4.4% year-on-year
  • Operating profit: $3.4 billion, up 4.9%
Nintendo's own forecast for year ending March 31, 2025
  • Net sales: $8.7 billion, down 19.3%
  • Operating profit: $2.6 billion, down 24.4%

Sony G&NS / SIE's (not including the game revenue and profit in other Sony divisions) for year ended March 31, 2024
  • Net sales: $27.1 billion, up 17.1%
  • Operating profit: $1.8 billion, up 16.8%
Sony G&NS / SIE's own forecast for year ending March 31, 2025
  • Net sales: $26.7 billion, down 1.6%
  • Operating profit: $2.0 billion, up 6%

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022

Marginally more profit, and only for a brief period of time. Even with the numbers you posted, Nintendo's got a $600 million net profit lead on a 7+ year-old system very much past its prime and in need of a successor. SIE's behind that with a PS4 that's still in (very limited) numbers of production, a PS5 that is at the midpoint of its lifecycle, and having ported virtually all of their games from 2020-onward to PC (specifically Steam). AND also publishing some games on both Nintendo and Microsoft systems (e.g Destiny 2).

So SIE may inch ahead for a brief period (this FY) matching or narrowly beating Nintendo's net profits, but will have made significantly more potentially long-term compromising moves utilizing way more platforms outside of their own hardware ecosystem to do so. One thing I've come to learn over the years is simply...never bet against Nintendo.

Also @Yobo excellent post. Sums up a lot of my current frustration with PlayStation as well.

Between the direction they seem to be going, the direction Xbox's taken (tho what the next Xbox may be is intriguing), and the feeling a lot of the current problems in the industry's direction are due to overreaching growth-fueled decisions by Microsoft this gen...I just don't care much for the current state of the industry. It's not worth the energy of discussion I would've given in the past. If anything I'm more excited about what Nintendo and Valve will be doing going forward, than Sony and Microsoft.

No Nintendo dev would ever talk like that about PlayStation.

Hell they didn't talk like that about SEGA until decades later, after SEGA stopped making consoles. I think it was Shigeru Miyamoto admitting that Sonic was a quality game and good rival to Mario.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Marginally more profit, and only for a brief period of time. Even with the numbers you posted, Nintendo's got a $600 million net profit lead on a 7+ year-old system very much past its prime and in need of a successor.
SIE's behind that with a PS4 that's still in (very limited) numbers of production, a PS5 that is at the midpoint of its lifecycle, and having ported virtually all of their games from 2020-onward to PC (specifically Steam). AND also publishing some games on both Nintendo and Microsoft systems (e.g Destiny 2).

So SIE may inch ahead for a brief period (this FY) matching or narrowly beating Nintendo's net profits, but will have made significantly more potentially long-term compromising moves utilizing way more platforms outside of their own hardware ecosystem to do so. One thing I've come to learn over the years is simply...never bet against Nintendo.

The numbers I posted includes Sony losing money for the 21M consoles they sold this year, while Nintendo is profiting from the ones they sold. Plus also includes Sony paying costs related to many acquisitions they did in recent times and the costs of a couple closures and a 1900 people layoff. Sony profitability gets also impacted by having many new teams working on their first game for Sony.

The Sony profits will highly increase once they complete paying the stuff related to the acquisitions and as they keep releasing these projects from both new and old teams. Specially as they continue growing outside the console particularly via PC, mobile and movie/tv shows.

If Switch 2 and its games have a similar price than the 1, its profits will be smaller because the higher horsepower will make hardware and the games more expensive. Plus their userbase and game sales will be the same or small due to the growing market of the PC handhelds.

Unless Sony decides to reinvest their profits again in acquisitions, in 2-3 years from now Sony will start to have bigger profits than Nintendo not only in some isolated quarter, but instead will get more profits than Nintendo consistently and the whole fiscal year, every single one. And will be mainly thanks to their expansion to GaaS + off-console strategy and the big expansion that Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst did in most studios in addition to acquiring support teams.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Colin Mediocrity: "experimenting and creating data is good and I'm glad Sony is doing this, they need more data!"

The only thing this can lead to is more Switch 2 ports which is inevitable at this point. He also believes Sony should do day/date PC ports, so he pretty much just wants PS to die.

It's sad that the biggest voice of PS fans is this retard.

24 Jun 2022
@Yurinka...

Okay so Sony (maybe; dunno where you're getting they lost money on hardware when they're at best maybe just less profitable than they were before component costs went up) lost money on hardware they sold...so what? That's the strategy they've gone with, they know what it entails. Nintendo built their hardware to profit basically from Day 1, so there you go. Also Sony have sold way more peripherals in that span of time than Nintendo has; those peripheral sales would make up for any losses on PS5 consoles themselves.

For the Bungie acquisition costs suppressing profit margins...again it's not like Nintendo hasn't made some acquisitions themselves, albeit much cheaper than Bungie. They've also hired ~ 400 people since a few years ago, which would cut into their own profit margins. Nintendo's net profits aren't free money for them. You are vastly overselling the market for PC handhelds; even combined they will not come to pushing even half the numbers Switch 2 will do in its lifetime, let alone on a per-brand basis. And that's by design: those devices are priced to profit from hardware sales Day 1, but they also have to factor in their Windows licensing costs and other things that Nintendo doesn't necessarily have to do to the same degree.

You're being delusional at this point if you think SIE are going to have higher profit margins than Nintendo once the Switch 2 goes into swing. Or at least, if looking at comparable revenue amounts. And that's the rub here; if SIE DO have consistently higher profits than Nintendo going forward, it'll be at needing at least 2x (likely closer to 2.5x) the revenue figures of Nintendo to accomplish that. Which means, SIE will be spending far more along the way in all areas. At some point of course they are going to have higher net profits because, at some point, you're just "brute forcing" your way to accomplish that spending way more money.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
dunno where you're getting they lost money on hardware
Sony mentioned multiple times in their fiscal reports or related Q&As, more recently Totoki when he explained why needed to improve their profitability and why they didn't have more profits this previous FY.

At some point they were able to sell it at a profit, but during the pandemic they didn't only had component shortages: the price of the components has been highly growing since then. And even they didn't mention it, in recent years shipments by plane or ship also got way more expensive due to inflation, fuel costs rising and issues in certain spots of the world.

So they were were selling it at loss, big enough to make them increase the price of the console when in previous generations they made a price cut instead. Ryan explained it back then.

Since then did some efforts to try to reduce hardware related costs, but the prices of components and shipments kept rising.

Nintendo built their hardware to profit basically from Day 1, so there you go.
Yes, but they can do it because Nintendo makes low-end hardware and Sony makes high-end hardware instead because unlike Nintendo they focus on games with high-end visuals.

High-end hardware is way more expensive than low-end hardware. So they must sell it at a higher price unless they want to lose a too high amount of money per unit.

Also Sony have sold way more peripherals in that span of time than Nintendo has; those peripheral sales would make up for any losses on PS5 consoles themselves.
Yes, Sony is breaking records for any platform history in many areas, one of them being accesories.

But Sony only highlights the profitability or loses of some specific point like hardware or accesories when it significantly affects their operative income in a meaningful way, specially if isn't something usual. Case of mentioning loses from hardware due to component costs rising or discounts, or highlighting that PC ports are specially profitable.

But regarding profitability hard numbers being reported every quarter of fiscal year, they only report profitability for the whole Sony or the entire G&NS/SIE division. They never shared specific operative income/profitability numbers coming from hardware, accesories, sorfware, subs etc.

So we don't know how profitable are accesories, in general or specific for PSVR2 or PS Portal.

For the Bungie acquisition costs suppressing profit margins...again it's not like Nintendo hasn't made some acquisitions themselves, albeit much cheaper than Bungie. They've also hired ~ 400 people since a few years ago, which would cut into their own profit margins.
Sony says "acquisitions made in recent years", in plural.

And Nintendo didn't made acquisitions anywhere near similar in volume or price to what Sony got in the last 5 years: Insomniac+Housemarque+Bungie+Bluepoint+Nixxes +Haven+Firewalk+Firesprite +Savage+EVO+Valkyrie+Audiokinetic+iSize+Audeze+whatever else I forget.

And didn't only acquire them, they highly grew the headcount of these and previously existing teams. As an example, Bungie had 800+ people when they announced the acquisition and now are 1500/1600+.

You are vastly overselling the market for PC handhelds; even combined they will not come to pushing even half the numbers Switch 2 will do in its lifetime, let alone on a per-brand basis.
I only said it's a growing market. A market where we almost have confirmed that more players like MS will join. And -my speculation- it's pretty likely that Sony will end joining for the PS Player next gen successor and to compete directly against Nintendo.

You're being delusional at this point if you think SIE are going to have higher profit margins than Nintendo once the Switch 2 goes into swing.
What I said is partly based on words from people like Ryan or Totoki explaining how they planned to improve their profitability in long term, and also Nintendo higher ups showing concern because of the rising costs of games not being proportional to the rise in revenue (so affecting profitability).

And if Switch 2 gets more powerful its costs will be more expensive for players unless they reduce the per unit profitability. And if their price increases will be more similar to the PC ones so will compete more directly but having way less 3rd party support, emulators, etc.

And that's the rub here; if SIE DO have consistently higher profits than Nintendo going forward, it'll be at needing at least 2x (likely closer to 2.5x) the revenue figures of Nintendo to accomplish that.
Sony is in a multi-year growing revenue trend on their hardware, software, game subs, accesories, non-gaming adaptations of their IPs, off-PS gaming revenue. And has multiple projects/investments/initiatives in all fronts to keep them growing in the next years.

SIE's revenue will also considerably grow, not only their profits.

I personally think Switch 2 pretty likely will have record hardware numbers in the launch window, but beyond that will be less successful than Switch 1 in hardware sales, software sales and their profitability in general.

Which means, SIE will be spending far more along the way in all areas. At some point of course they are going to have higher net profits because, at some point, you're just "brute forcing" your way to accomplish that spending way more money.
Yes, until now Sony generated way more revenue than Nintendo but had less profit because reinvested most of that money on very expensive games with a relatively low profit margin and acquisitions and growing their teams.

But in recent times has been investing in things that will have a bigger profit margin as are GaaS, PC ports, mobile games, movie/tv show adaptations plus at least during some time won't continue growing a lot via hirings and acquisitions.

Sony could decide to keep reinvesting it (and we know that in around a year and a half or a year later they'll acquire again), but we know Totoki wants to increase the profits not only to secure themselves from the risk of $300M tanking, but also because of different reasons as could be uncertainity of the global economy and geopolitical issues, huge inflation, currency exchange, or maybe also because of concerns related to the global total industry gaming revenue basically remained flat during the last couple of years causing investors to move away -hurting publishers and devs, so reducing their output which also means SIE's main revenue of the related 30%- from gaming because that may indicate that the gaming market peaked -I think it didn't- after 5 decades of growth).

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Sony mentioned multiple times in their fiscal reports or related Q&As, more recently Totoki when he explained why needed to improve their profitability and why they didn't have more profits this previous FY.

At some point they were able to sell it at a profit, but during the pandemic they didn't only had component shortages: the price of the components has been highly growing since then. And even they didn't mention it, in recent years shipments by plane or ship also got way more expensive due to inflation, fuel costs rising and issues in certain spots of the world.

So they were were selling it at loss, big enough to make them increase the price of the console when in previous generations they made a price cut instead. Ryan explained it back then.

Since then did some efforts to try to reduce hardware related costs, but the prices of components and shipments kept rising.

Yes, but they can do it because Nintendo makes low-end hardware and Sony makes high-end hardware instead because unlike Nintendo they focus on games with high-end visuals.

High-end hardware is way more expensive than low-end hardware. So they must sell it at a higher price unless they want to lose a too high amount of money per unit.

Yes, Sony is breaking records for any platform history in many areas, one of them being accesories.

But Sony only highlights the profitability or loses of some specific point like hardware or accesories when it significantly affects their operative income in a meaningful way, specially if isn't something usual. Case of mentioning loses from hardware due to component costs rising or discounts, or highlighting that PC ports are specially profitable.

But regarding profitability hard numbers being reported every quarter of fiscal year, they only report profitability for the whole Sony or the entire G&NS/SIE division. They never shared specific operative income/profitability numbers coming from hardware, accesories, sorfware, subs etc.

So we don't know how profitable are accesories, in general or specific for PSVR2 or PS Portal.

Sony says "acquisitions made in recent years", in plural.

And Nintendo didn't made acquisitions anywhere near similar in volume or price to what Sony got in the last 5 years: Insomniac+Housemarque+Bungie+Bluepoint+Nixxes +Haven+Firewalk+Firesprite +Savage+EVO+Valkyrie+Audiokinetic+iSize+Audeze+whatever else I forget.

And didn't only acquire them, they highly grew the headcount of these and previously existing teams. As an example, Bungie had 800+ people when they announced the acquisition and now are 1500/1600+.

I only said it's a growing market. A market where we almost have confirmed that more players like MS will join. And -my speculation- it's pretty likely that Sony will end joining for the PS Player next gen successor and to compete directly against Nintendo.

What I said is partly based on words from people like Ryan or Totoki explaining how they planned to improve their profitability in long term, and also Nintendo higher ups showing concern because of the rising costs of games not being proportional to the rise in revenue (so affecting profitability).

And if Switch 2 gets more powerful its costs will be more expensive for players unless they reduce the per unit profitability. And if their price increases will be more similar to the PC ones so will compete more directly but having way less 3rd party support, emulators, etc.

Sony is in a multi-year growing revenue trend on their hardware, software, game subs, accesories, non-gaming adaptations of their IPs, off-PS gaming revenue. And has multiple projects/investments/initiatives in all fronts to keep them growing in the next years.

SIE's revenue will also considerably grow, not only their profits.

I personally think Switch 2 pretty likely will have record hardware numbers in the launch window, but beyond that will be less successful than Switch 1 in hardware sales, software sales and their profitability in general.

Yes, until now Sony generated way more revenue than Nintendo but had less profit because reinvested most of that money on very expensive games with a relatively low profit margin and acquisitions and growing their teams.

But in recent times has been investing in things that will have a bigger profit margin as are GaaS, PC ports, mobile games, movie/tv show adaptations plus at least during some time won't continue growing a lot via hirings and acquisitions.

Sony could decide to keep reinvesting it (and we know that in around a year and a half or a year later they'll acquire again), but we know Totoki wants to increase the profits not only to secure themselves from the risk of $300M tanking, but also because of different reasons as could be uncertainity of the global economy and geopolitical issues, huge inflation, currency exchange, or maybe also because of concerns related to the global total industry gaming revenue basically remained flat during the last couple of years causing investors to move away -hurting publishers and devs, so reducing their output which also means SIE's main revenue of the related 30%- from gaming because that may indicate that the gaming market peaked -I think it didn't- after 5 decades of growth).
Holy Shit Icon Era should pay my boy Yurinka here, the amount of content he puts up is insane. Respect the hustle bro but I think you need to lay off Chat GPT for a few days :ROFLMAO:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Holy Shit Icon Era should pay my boy Yurinka here, the amount of content he puts up is insane. Respect the hustle bro but I think you need to lay off Chat GPT for a few days :ROFLMAO:
To be fair when the post take more than a screen in my smartphone I don’t read 😂

Writing too much will only make people don’t read at u wrote.

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
Saddens me that TeamPS keeps listening to Twitter and Reddit junkies that have no love or actual care for PlayStation (or gaming for that matter).
And I’m telling you all, PS has some really bad actors (both men and women) working at first party studios poisoning the well.
Can’t even begin to imagine how lame PS would be if people like David Jaffe, Chris Grannell and/or Jonathan Cooper were still there. But now, we got Alannah Pearce, weird folks at Geurilla Games, etc.