Looks like Sony might be bringing trophies to PlayStation PC games

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
PS5 is extremely successful.
Because it was riding off the success of the PS4, now that honeymoon phase is over, it's over for them next year once the Switch 2 releases. Sony will have to learn the hard way that live service junk, PC, and cloud isn't the answer. They're doing the exact opposite of what made the PS4 so successful

Reactions: Diah and toadsage44

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Steam already has achievements. No need for a parallel achievement system.
They may prefer to sell them on their own PSN PC store and have their own client, or to sync the Steam achievements of their own games with their PS trophies, and also track the trophies earned while playing on PC via cloud gaming.

Sony speed running the destruction of their brand

The console is the backbone of our business….. so let’s do everything in our power to impede its success 😎
The facts say that since they started to port big games to pC in most metrics they are more successful than ever. So if PC ports had some effect may have been positive, not negative.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
M.E.H

Bring games, who cares about trophies/achievements or gamerscores. One of the worst inventions of the 7rh generation.

A lot of people do care, the Psnprofiles website is very active with millions of users

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony in an incredibly rare act of common sense chose to go where the market is (steam) knowing them, I wouldn't trust them with a PC store.

Everything they do outside of handling their first party studios and (at times) their main console hardware is half assed and abandoned down the line.

On top of that, they still don't have that critical mass of content to lure people outside of steam. If they are going to open a store to sell 10 games, it will be a worse story than the Bethesda client.

FFS Epic has the hottest game/engine on the market, and gave away 300 games + regional pricing and great discounts and still is a small competitor to steam.

Ms owns windows and no one buys PC games on MS store.

Sony made the right move by going with tried and true PC stores. Easier, cheaper, smarter.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
They may prefer to sell them on their own PSN PC store and have their own client, or to sync the Steam achievements of their own games with their PS trophies, and also track the trophies earned while playing on PC via cloud gaming.
I think this is not the case, and I HOPE this is not the case.

I don't actually care if achievements for Playstation games on Steam also unlock on your PS profile. It's just redundant. In a way it indicates that Sony believes their customers will play on both, which undermines a lot of Icon poster's anxiety about PC cannibalizing Playstation.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
yes we must reverse the tide of Playstation dominance since 2008. it has become too powerful

I'd like to get back to PS2 levels of dominance but in todays landscape it requires a lot of big exclusive games, where they are never accessible anywhere else.

PS leadership obviously are not looking for that level of success with all these price increases, bad showcases, no fan engagement, not enough exclusives, PC ports etc.

Reactions: JAHGamer and Diah

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sony in an incredibly rare act of common sense chose to go where the market is (steam) knowing them, I wouldn't trust them with a PC store.
Some of you keep saying this but the data shows otherwise. What exactly is this market? The one that doesn't buy games? You keep clamoring about how PC is the future and how there's a huge market there but where are the sales? Maybe start buying games before making outrageous claims?

Spider-Man, one of the most recognizable IPs in the world, sold only 1.5 million copies as of May this year. What market? Unless it's some derivative of a tabletop game, a strategy game or some indie, PC players don't care. So what exactly are we talking about here? Explain it to me? All this reeks of "I just want games on PC for the sake of having them on PC".

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That is one of the mistake in the PC strategy.
Talked a lot already.

Together with others mistakes the strategy is not paying off.
And probably is related to why Jumbo is stepping down.
Practically every major publisher went down the tantalizing road of keeping 100% of sales revenue through a half assed PC storefront. Starting with Origin in 2011, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Bethesda, all tried it, and they all came to realize that Steam's 30% take justifies itself in more ways than one.

Rockstar released GTA5 on Steam and it's one of the best selling PC games of all time, still rocking after 10 years. They released Red Dead 2 initially as an Epic Games exclusive. Its online community is on life support.

PlayStation saw how Detroit Become Human sold as an Epic exclusive and got their mind right for the real 1st party initiative starting with Horizon Zero Dawn. This is even more significant with reports that Epic offered Sony 200M for 4-6 exclusive titles.

Why do you want PlayStation to repeat these massive failures precisely at the time the rest of the industry is course-correcting?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Some of you keep saying this but the data shows otherwise. What exactly is this market? The one that doesn't buy games? You keep clamoring about how PC is the future and how there's a huge market there but where are the sales? Maybe start buying games before making outrageous claims?

Spider-Man, one of the most recognizable IPs in the world, sold only 1.5 million copies as of May this year. What market? Unless it's some derivative of a tabletop game, a strategy game or some indie, PC players don't care. So what exactly are we talking about here? Explain it to me? All this reeks of "I just want games on PC for the sake of having them on PC".

Sony is strapped for cash and wants to milk the PS division. Every dollar counts. Gotta fund the expensive games they produce. It's either that or continue fleecing their existing customer base (console increases, subscriptions, games) They gotta get new to new markets and PC is one of them.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Practically every major publisher went down the tantalizing road of keeping 100% of sales revenue through a half assed PC storefront. Starting with Origin in 2011, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Bethesda, all tried it, and they all came to realize that Steam's 30% take justifies itself in more ways than one.

Rockstar released GTA5 on Steam and it's one of the best selling PC games of all time, still rocking after 10 years. They released Red Dead 2 initially as an Epic Games exclusive. Its online community is on life support.

PlayStation saw how Detroit Become Human sold as an Epic exclusive and got their mind right for the real 1st party initiative starting with Horizon Zero Dawn. This is even more significant with reports that Epic offered Sony 200M for 4-6 exclusive titles.

Why do you want PlayStation to repeat these massive failures precisely at the time the rest of the industry is course-correcting?
Sony should have take these $200m because PC titles released fiscal year didn’t do that without Destiny.

Steam is not making PS titles on PC sells more… so why insist in Steam? They can have it own launcher/store and sells the same or more.

Sony already have the infrastructure… it is not like it will increase maintance costs like the others you listed.

Sony is the only player in the market that can have it own launcher because the Store they already have running pretty well… that is why you guys probably don’t understand… Sony already has a PC store front… they just need a simple launcher.

Reactions: Diah