Looks like Sony might be bringing trophies to PlayStation PC games

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
PC players doesn't care that much about Playstation games, we can see that every time they bring a port to pc and they sell really modest quantities

I am not sure about that. Release well optimized versions of Bloodborne and Demons souls and let's see if PC gamers are not interested. Games with replay value and depth do better on PC.

Also, many of these games took months to be fixed and PC gamers are very wary of that. No marketing whatsoever to avoid pissing console fanboys off and a questionable selection of games including sackboy, ratchet and clank and the 4th/5th installments of a saga with no history on PC...

Also as yurika stated above, it's not that console gamers buy games in droves out of magic, Sony needs to spend the GDP of a small country to market them, while a random PS blog post is all they will do for a PC version.

All things considered, games are selling well and will continue selling more dawn the line.

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
I am not sure about that. Release well optimized versions of Bloodborne and Demons souls and let's see if PC gamers are not interested. Games with replay value and depth do better on PC.
I agree, but I consider them exceptions. I've talked about this in the past on this forum but I think those are the only Playstation games that could sell a considerable amount on pc compared to consoles.

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
It used to be that when you bought a PlayStation, you knew that you were a priority for the brand. Every exclusive game that came out, whether it was first party or funded by Sony, was made with PlayStation owners in mind. Now, there's nothing special about having one of their consoles because all their games end up on PC anyway, even if it takes a couple years. And now they're talking about putting trophies on PC as well, so that's one less thing that makes the PS3/PS4/PS5 unique. I know I'm being childish about it, but having owned every PlayStation console from 1 to 5, plus buying at least a dozen extra controllers for those consoles, and spending thousands on games and PS+ subscription renewals for the past 20+ years, I think I'm within my right to act this way. Doesn't mean people have to agree with me, though, and I know many don't.

I have a PC that I built in 2020, although it's not crazy powerful (Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1660 Super, 16 GB RAM). However, I sit at a desk for work and after doing that for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, the last thing I want to do is sit at a desk to game. I'm so much more comfortable gaming on the couch or, as I have been lately due to an injury, from bed.

I do appreciate your approach, trying to understand why I'm not a fan of Sony's recent emphasis on PC. Most people who are into it seem to brush it off with "Just a build a PC and stop bitching!" But yeah, definitely feeling like a second class citizen due to their stances lately.

Interesting tbh. Arent the Playstation PC ports usually a bit dodgy upon release though? Feels like they still do prioritize their console market

For years, I was a dyed in the wool Nintendo guy but built my own PC for Witcher 3 out of the chicken scraps I could afford at the time

I work at a desk also. While my PC is my go-to, I was just talking about this with someone else to explain why I prefer having my consoles for some games to play in my living room.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Interesting tbh. Arent the Playstation PC ports usually a bit dodgy upon release though? Feels like they still do prioritize their console market

For years, I was a dyed in the wool Nintendo guy but built my own PC for Witcher 3 out of the chicken scraps I could afford at the time

I work at a desk also. While my PC is my go-to, I was just talking about this with someone else to explain why I prefer having my consoles for some games to play in my living room.
PCs also work in the livingroom

Reactions: teezzy

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That means HFW never broke even. HFW sold 8.4 million copies by May 2023. If we account for the retail cut and discount, then it is highly likely it never crossed 500 million in revenue. HFW had to bring in 800 million in revenue to even be considered successful.
Maybe back in May still didn't broke even, but it will because it's still being sold, will be ported to PC, there's an Horizon film adaptation coming and 8.4M in a year is more than what Horizon Zero Dawn sold in a year: 7.6M. And as of May 2023 (so slightly around 5 years after its release) HZD sold 24.3M including the PC port, and pretty likely will continue selling.

Meaning that very likely it will end selling over 25M.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
That means HFW never broke even. HFW sold 8.4 million copies by May 2023. If we account for the retail cut and discount, then it is highly likely it never crossed 500 million in revenue. HFW had to bring in 800 million in revenue to even be considered successful.
Wait why does a game that cost $200 million to develop need to bring in $800 million to be successful? 😂 that’s excessive. Also Sony themselves ruined HFWs potential, Guerilla wasted 6+ months on fixing the HZD PC port, which caused HFW to be delayed out of Holiday 2021 into early 2022. Right next to ELDEN RING 🤦‍♂️ and then they only gave it an 8 month sales window and threw it into PS Plus…killing any future sales. Then they announce the PC port a year after it being on PS Plus, a lot of people will wait and pirate it. So if HFW failed to meet expectations, it’s no one’s fault but Sonys. I do think it profited but not much….

HZD sold 20m before PC sales
HFW can’t even crack 10m because of Jim/Hermens incompetence!!

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Wait why does a game that cost $200 million to develop need to bring in $800 million to be successful? 😂 that’s excessive.
HFW did break even. However, for 'HFW' to be considered successful, it needs to make at least 2.5 times the total cost of production and marketing.

I was replying to Yurinka. He believes that it took an additional 200 million dollars to market the game, bringing the total cost to 400 million dollars for development and marketing. He assumes that another 200 million was needed for marketing, which seems excessive, especially when considering that 'Indiana Jones: Dial of Destiny' had a marketing budget of only 100 million dollars and 200 million dollars production budget. I am pretty he got the marketing budget wrong. Even if he got it wrong, and it only cost 100 million to market, that would still mean HFW needed to make 600 million dollars to be successful. Wheter it made that much I don't know.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Because you are judging this from a Playstation player perspective instead of a PC gamer perspective:

PC players doesn't care that much about Playstation games, we can see that every time they bring a port to pc and they sell really modest quantities,
Seems that you are not aware that Sony:
  • Made hundreds of millions selling full priced PC ports of several years old games
  • Now have Destiny 2 and its expansions
  • With a few games is a top 20 PC publisher
So yes, PC players care about PS games. And not only the ones published by Sony, many or most popular multiplatform AAA games on PC sell more on console (with PS being their best selling platform) or originally came from console (and in several cases started as PS exclusives many years ago).

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
HFW did break even. However, for 'HFW' to be considered successful, it needs to make at least 2.5 times the total cost of production and marketing.

I was replying to Yurinka. He believes that it took an additional 200 million dollars to market the game, bringing the total cost to 400 million dollars for development and marketing. He assumes that another 200 million was needed for marketing, which seems excessive, especially when considering that 'Indiana Jones: Dial of Destiny' had a marketing budget of only 100 million dollars and 200 million dollars production budget. I am pretty he got the marketing budget wrong. Even if he got it wrong, and it only cost 100 million to market, that would still mean HFW needed to make 600 million dollars to be successful. Wheter it made that much I don't know.
2.5x is only for cinema, and that's due to movie theaters taking a big cut. But games sell 50%+ digitally where the platform holder gets a 100% cut of first party games. The number needed to break even is gonna be far less than 2.5x.