Mat Piscatella - I get fans ❤️ consoles but US video game hardware market is mature market at this point. Have to get beyond the boxes to find growth.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Why should we cut out PS2? Why does it deserve a special exception other than being extremely successful?

I don't agree that Xbox exiting the market will radically help Playstation (and also they're not exiting the market). There's only 10M Series X in the market. If Playstation 6 sold 150M it would both be the most successful Playstation, and still represent a low rate of growth since 2001.

The cost and scope of software is growing much faster than the growth of total console ownership. That doesn't mean Sony and Nintendo stop making consoles, but it does mean publishers need to look beyond consoles for growth.
hey arent exiting the market will exit them,so bad luck cuco

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Why should we cut out PS2? Why does it deserve a special exception other than being extremely successful?

I don't agree that Xbox exiting the market will radically help Playstation (and also they're not exiting the market). There's only 10M Series X in the market. If Playstation 6 sold 150M it would both be the most successful Playstation, and still represent a low rate of growth since 2001.

The cost and scope of software is growing much faster than the growth of total console ownership. That doesn't mean Sony and Nintendo stop making consoles, but it does mean publishers need to look beyond consoles for growth.
Not that you should cut it out, but I think some people forget/disciount the fact that it was boosted by being a really solid and affordable DVD player at a time that DVD players were new and expensive. You got a good console and a DVD player at the same time. It really felt like an incredible piece of tech. I remember buying DVDs and games on that launch day, along with the Sony branded DVD remote. Sony, of course, tried to get that same traction with Blu-ray and the PS3, but people cared a lot less about the jump from DVD to Blu-ray than they did the jump from VHS to DVD.

Funny how antiquated and silly that sounds now.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I recently witnessed this guy acting like a little bitch because someone questioned him (I think it was about Helldivers 2). He blocked the person and ultimately took down the tweet (he didn't have the data to back it up). Even the first line of the tweet in the OP (console fans love their consoles) comes across as generalizing condescension.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I recently witnessed this guy acting like a little bitch because someone questioned him (I think it was about Helldivers 2). He blocked the person and ultimately took down the tweet (he didn't have the data to back it up). Even the first line of the tweet in the OP (console fans love their consoles) comes across as generalizing condescension.
Yeah becsaid it was because he said Helldivers was selling more on PC and ppl got mad lol

Reactions: laynelane