Matt Piscatella: PS5 unit sales are trending 7% ahead of PS4, and 66% ahead of PS3 launch-aligned in the US

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Uhm no.

Ps5 disc is the one that is mostly stocked, and that is still expensive.
If you had any chance of being right, once you reached for the availability excuse your odds went all the way down to 0.

I think Software profit in a few years, 1st and 3rd party will be important. Its all too early. Theres new kids/teens getting into consoles, buying there first Playstation, but there are also plenty of people not bothering with PS5 and waiting for PS games on PC instead.

Also everyone is gonna have to backtrack when Valve release a home console version of Steamdeck. They are slowly creepying up in sales, users, and they dont spend nearly as much as Xbox/PS. They are just sitting back and racking money. They are one step away from consoles after Steamdeck
A SteamOS console with the same configuration as the PS5 for a similar price would be a superior device in almost every way.

Free online, better library, free save storage, better prices, better refund policy, better forward compatibility, better backwards compatibility, better services, etc.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Japan is also trending ahead I believe.

So Europe is the issue. It's also where games and hardware are most expensive.... maybe they need to have a targeted push in the region.
It is where they had a price rise.
Like I said in the last thread price is the sole reason PS5 is not ahead PS4 worldwide (PS4 was already $299 at that time) because PS5 sales potential is stronger than PS4.

PC ports / strategy has nothing to do with it.
It is not related markets.

If PS5 had a price cut last year (for example $399 the normal model and $349 DE) it should be leap and bounds ahead PS4 now instead being 800k behind.

Reactions: Bryank75

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Says facts.

The PS4 is the benchmark we have to use.

The PC Ports haven’t afffected PS5 sales cause they are similar to PS4.

Also this fiscal year the PS5 sold 20.8 million which is better than any PS4 year.

The PS5 is in fact doing better than expected considering we haven’t seen a price drop, lack of new AAA games and inflation in a major region.
I was expecting the PS5 to go higher than the PS4 because the PC SP ports were supposed to advertise the PS5 to new customers. It doesn't look like there was any shift. Where they at 🤔

They made a few pennies from the porting cost and that's it. Their platform didn't grow.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
If you had any chance of being right, once you reached for the availability excuse your odds went all the way down to 0.
The fact that you can't comprehend what i'm sayng about price being an issue and not availability is shocking really.

I've repeated multiple times, yet you still bring up this straw man argument about availabilty.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
I was expecting the PS5 to go higher than the PS4 because the PC SP ports were supposed to advertise the PS5 to new customers. It doesn't look like there was any shift. Where they at 🤔

They made a few pennies from the porting cost and that's it. Their platform didn't grow.
Say that to 6 million units sold (at least half of 12 million of HD2), it grew where there was just few thousands before.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The fact that you can't comprehend what i'm sayng about price being an issue and not availability is shocking really.

I've repeated multiple times, yet you still bring up this straw man argument about availabilty.
Own up to it, you wanted to push a narrative that the alleged lack of PS5 DE availability was holding the sales back.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Before this generation started, pretty much everyone agreed that the PS5 had potential to dethrone the PS2. And now the bar has fallen so low that 100m would be acceptable.

Which morons believed the PS5 the PS2/DVD player?

Which was on sale for 13 years at 99 pounds during its last few years.

The PS5 will easily cross 100 million. What planet are you living on?

Also let me remind you that the PS5 is ahead of the PS2 in the same timeframe.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Own up to it, you wanted to push a narrative that the alleged lack of PS5 DE availability was holding the sales back.
No i didn't.

My point was price is the problem, i used the ps5 de going out of stock regulary as an example of what happens with a cheaper price.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It is where they had a price rise.
Like I said in the last thread price is the sole reason PS5 is not ahead PS4 worldwide (PS4 was already $299 at that time) because PS5 sales potential is stronger than PS4.

PC ports / strategy has nothing to do with it.
It is not related markets.

If PS5 had a price cut last year (for example $399 the normal model and $349 DE) it should be leap and bounds ahead PS4 now instead being 800k behind.

I still believe PC ports have a negative impact. It's obvious that they would...

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Which morons believed the PS5 the PS2/DVD player?

Which was on sale for 13 years at 99 pounds during its last few years.

The PS5 will easily cross 100 million. What planet are you living on?

Also let me remind you that the PS5 is ahead of the PS2 in the same timeframe.
Stop the cap, I bet you were saying the PS5 was going to sell better than the Switch given how hard you guys cheerlead for Sony.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I think Software profit in a few years, 1st and 3rd party will be important. Its all too early. Theres new kids/teens getting into consoles, buying there first Playstation, but there are also plenty of people not bothering with PS5 and waiting for PS games on PC instead.

Also everyone is gonna have to backtrack when Valve release a home console version of Steamdeck. They are slowly creepying up in sales, users, and they dont spend nearly as much as Xbox/PS. They are just sitting back and racking money. They are one step away from consoles after Steamdeck

Well it’s not showing in sales. That’s all that matters.

Valve can release whatever they want. They have failed before. The Steamdeck has sold several million so let’s not talk like it’s a success.

It won’t even reach Vita sales of 14 million which is considered a failure.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I still believe PC ports have a negative impact. It's obvious that they would...
Not sure... it is unrelated markets.

The issue was if PS5 had not a price rise in Europe we should not even talk about PS4 being 800k ahead and Sony probably should had reach numbers over the 21m they projected the second time... after all Europe was always one of the strongest PlayStation region but a $50 price rise is something never head in console business.

Plus if PS5 had a $100 price slash like PS4 at the same time frame then you should say the first 25m projection was bound to happen.
Sony probably projected 25 million because they expected a price cut.

With 25m we should be talking how PS5 was 3.5 million ahead PS4 at same time frame not even remembering about unrelated PC market.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Stop the cap, I bet you were saying the PS5 was going to sell better than the Switch given how hard you guys cheerlead for Sony.

My predictions for this gen were that PS5 would outsell Xbox by 4:1 and could reach over 150 million if they played their cards right.

Also thought it would be Xbox's last gen.

I don't think PS5 will get past PS4 now, mostly due to PC ports, economy and Sony being unwilling to be aggressive enough.

It's a mixed bag.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Just to add.

PS5 needs a price cut.

If Sony do it this year then it will be ahead PS4 again and they will probably beat the 18 million projection but seems like no price cut will come.
How they talked to investors and how they projected 18 million shipment tells me a price cut won't happen.

And without price cut PS5 will never reach it sales potential that is stronger than PS4.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
My predictions for this gen were that PS5 would outsell Xbox by 4:1 and could reach over 150 million if they played their cards right.

Also thought it would be Xbox's last gen.

I don't think PS5 will get past PS4 now, mostly due to PC ports, economy and Sony being unwilling to be aggressive enough.

It's a mixed bag.
I think it will likely still beat the PS4 but by a much smaller margin that if they were 100% focused on PlayStation and on supporting PlayStation with great games made for that audience.

I think people fail to understand the long term impact for their health of their business of something really small like even 5% less sales per year. Not to mention how the fact that their games will all release in on PC influences the games they'll be making.

Helldivers 2 being this break out success is probably the worst thing that could've happen to long time PlayStation fans, it will just make Sony pivot even harder towards catering to the PC audience.

The best thing that could happen to PlayStation console fans is for Valve to show up with a console-like PC running SteamOS. It would force Sony to rethink their entire strategy and might explain why Valve is weighting, they probably want Sony to over commit to PC.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
what are you saying?

1 post - he is PC extremist.

Another post - he is PLaystation fanboy.

Are you okey? maybe go outside, touch some grass.

• fire
Reactions: Muddasar

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
what are you saying?

1 post - he is PC extremist.

Another post - he is PLaystation fanboy.

Are you okey? maybe go outside, touch some grass.
PlayStation apologists that think every move Sony makes is correct and find an excuse to justify anything, there is no contradiction.

PC master racers actively dislike Sony and will openly mock Sony strategy and ambitions, they now PC will be the ruin of PlayStation an they don't care, in fact they like that.

These two groups both are hardcore supporters of PC ports for different reasons.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Not happening. Neither are people choosing a 1000 dollar PC to play Sony games instead.

What you will be seeing is people who already own a PC not bothering to get a PS5 to play a handful of exclusives.

They will come to PC eventually.

I’m totally against the PC ports but the truth is it hasn’t affected PS5 sales.

The price of the console and inflation have.

Next generation will be another matter and if they go Day 1 it will be a total disaster.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters