Matt Piscatella: PS5 unit sales are trending 7% ahead of PS4, and 66% ahead of PS3 launch-aligned in the US

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Once it goes down it'll sell alot more. They are waiting for tht pro announcement.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Times are pretty rough in Europe as their energy cost are through the roof. The United States made them stop getting gas, oil, and resources from Russia and Europe has no choice because the United States protects them or they'd be food.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
GTA6 and hopefully upcoming AAA 1st party games will give a boost
jet engine GIF

I still believe in PS4 numbers if the base model gets proper discounts.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Which morons believed the PS5 the PS2/DVD player?

Which was on sale for 13 years at 99 pounds during its last few years.

The PS5 will easily cross 100 million. What planet are you living on?

Also let me remind you that the PS5 is ahead of the PS2 in the same timeframe.
Are you joking? 😂 PS4 did 117m with a slow start and Xbox doing much better, and you think 155m for PS5 is impossible? Cmon. If I was in charge, the PS5 would easily reach 200m sold. Possibly more.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
They have A LOT of work to do across Europe. They're losing Spain quickly kinda unreal to see as well.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
So PlayStation does better on markets where PC wasn't traditionally strong?

There we have it folks, mystery solved, the impact of PC ports is a significant decline in sales in Europe and other PC centric markets.

Ground floor of Yodobashi Camera stores in Tokyo these days is usually largely dedicated to PC gaming hardware.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
For those that don't think price is the real factor, especially in Europe:

PS4 launched for 400 Euro in 2013, it dropped to 300 euro in 2016.

PS5 is currently 550 euro nearly 4 years post launch. It's nearly double the price.

You guys are clueless.

Reactions: ethomaz

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I love how easily these people make stuff up.

Explain to me why EA FC is ranked 31st in Germany on Steam then.

In fact, most of the games on Steam in Germany are PC exclusive or PC oriented rather than console oriented games.

Again with the narrow sight. The core audience will make the jump first, casuals will follow.
GoT PC port at #3, Helldivers 2 at #9, R&C #24.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Well it’s not showing in sales. That’s all that matters.

Valve can release whatever they want. They have failed before. The Steamdeck has sold several million so let’s not talk like it’s a success.

It won’t even reach Vita sales of 14 million which is considered a failure.
Its not showing for now. It will matter if changes things in the longterm. Maybe mid PS6 gen, 2030.

Valve failed before, but things change, look at Nintendo and MS. Steam Machine was 10 years ago, they are doing so much better now than back then. And Its not even about if they win or fail, its about they are competition to PS.

If Steam isnt competition, then Nintendo/Switch is less direct competition to PS than Steam is. Pretty sure porting games to Switch will sell more copies than it does on Steam. If its all about profits than why not port games to Nintendo machines too?

All its gonna take Steam making a console like device and then every other 3rd party will do, like Steamdeck. Then its not about how many they sell, they will all run SteamOS/steam store which means sales for them and entry into the living room again.
Games will be cheaper, online will be and free and it will have Playstation games.

Steam is competition, former PS CEO/Presidents have said it, Nintendo knows it, Playstation knew it and Xbox basically nailed there coffin when they started porting games to PC.

Even if sales dont go down, I still think Playstation is better off being like Nintendo and what they use to be. Playstation only titles, and giving people reasons to move over to PS instead of possibly other competition.
It worked for 4 generations…And worked for Nintendo for decades. It didnt work out for Xbox though…. Why follow the loser and abandon your own successful formula

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Muddasar and arvfab

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Under the recent circumstances, any company would want to be pushing positive news. They would do 'creative accounting' in order to push good news.

While "creative accounting" is certainly Gamepass' second, third and fourth names, I'm not sure how Sony can be creative at altering unit sales reported by a 3rd party.

VGChartz has PS5 at 57.4 Million as of 4th of May....

Yet official numbers pass 59.3 million back in March.

What a joke of a website VGChartz is.
How dare they, being wrong by 3%.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
While "creative accounting" is certainly Gamepass' second, third and fourth names, I'm not sure how Sony can be creative at altering unit sales reported by a 3rd party.
They are copying Microsoft at everything else, they may as well copy them at 'sold through' and 'sold in' shenanigans.
PS4 numbers are sold to customers
PS5 numbers are..?