Media Molecule is reportedly laying off 15-20% of staff (around 20 of its 135 employees.)

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Sadly they lose the touch after BigLittlePlanet... perhaps their dream were too big to be successful.
They basically did nothing in years.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Dreams released 3 years ago.
That was my point because Dreams is not a game... it is like a RPGMaker tool but for more genres.

Their last game was LittleBigPlanet 2 in 2011.

How many more years you want to give to a studio that doesn't delivery? At minimum they needs a big shake up.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
It's a bloodbath at Sony. The legacy of Jim Ryan is terrible
It's a bloodbath at Sony. The legacy of Jim Ryan is terrible.
Wtf does this have to do with Jim Ryan? Sony gave MM a decade to work on Dreams u fortunately it flopped and the studio has moved on to a different game. They have earn their funding and until than Sony will keep them on a tighter budget. Jim Ryan isn’t in a position to be making last lasting decisions like this anymore hence why they have an interim ceo. Ppl blame ND for not releasing a new game in the last 3 yrs but it’s Jim Ryan fault mm has only released 1 game in the pas decade that flopped?

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Wtf does this have to do with Jim Ryan? Sony gave MM a decade to work on Dreams u fortunately it flopped and the studio has moved on to a different game.
Media Molecule is the Titanic
Jim Ryan is the captain

Your logic: Wtf does the captain have to do with the Titanic crashing into an iceberg?

They have earn their funding and until than Sony will keep them on a tighter budget. Jim Ryan isn’t in a position to be making last lasting decisions like this anymore hence why they have an interim ceo. Ppl blame ND for not releasing a new game in the last 3 yrs but it’s Jim Ryan fault mm has only released 1 game in the pas decade that flopped?
See above. And they released Dreams, which all you little sycophants are cleverly ignoring to defend your god and saviour. Yes, it's not a game, but it's a very clever game engine that also allows for music to be created. You're no better than Xbox apologists that suck Phil Spencer's dick at every opportunity.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Not a fan of them at all. Only sympathize with the layoffs but not really. I would’ve shuttered them long time ago. Huge waste
My son grew up on LBP. He would choose that over Mario everytine and lord I tried to get him to play Mario lol

They are a breathe of fresh air in a stagnant landscape. I always saw them as innovative project piece for Sony, not as a money maker and thts why I always thought Sony kept them.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
media molecule days are numbered now. Honestly, I've been impressed this studio isn't closed yet, because they got high of their own supply in the past, which resulted in their huge failure, dreams lol.

24 Jun 2022
It's a bloodbath at Sony. The legacy of Jim Ryan is terrible.

It ain't looking good. Unless MM were working on a GaaS and that GaaS is being shelved, then it's incredibly disappointing. They wanted to make Dreams a commercial engine product that users could actually sell their creations in. Never happened, and that's probably down to a decision from the top.

Same with it not getting a PC port and, for ALL the Sony games that might've made sense as a port to PC, Dreams was arguably the most obvious especially if they allowed users to sell their own creations.

One of the few ways these layoffs and studio downsizings make sense to me, though, is if Sony really are gearing up to make some big gaming acquisitions. Cut underperforming staff at various studios because you know you will be taking on more staff with acquired developers (and maybe publishers). Considering the timing though, if it is being done in part for M&As, it would probably be starting with independent developer studios, not publishers.

At least, not yet. Buying a developer is pretty much smooth sailing, especially if they aren't publicly listed. Sony do need more internal teams for AA-budget games so they can have more published releases between the AAA games that are taking more time (and money) to develop, without needing to rely as much on 3P timed exclusives. So, I can only hope the layoffs are with this in mind since it'd mean we could hear about a few developer acquisitions soon (preferably Japanese but some Western ones like Ember Lab would likely make sense too).

We'll see if he's really retired or is joining another company in the coming couple of years...

If he joins a "certain" other company in a couple of years, I hope Sony sue the shit out "that" company. It would be a form of planned corporate espionage plain and simple, it's illegal, and overseeing government agencies should provide means of that type of foul play being punished.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
It ain't looking good. Unless MM were working on a GaaS and that GaaS is being shelved, then it's incredibly disappointing. They wanted to make Dreams a commercial engine product that users could actually sell their creations in. Never happened, and that's probably down to a decision from the top.

Same with it not getting a PC port and, for ALL the Sony games that might've made sense as a port to PC, Dreams was arguably the most obvious especially if they allowed users to sell their own creations.

If he joins a "certain" other company in a couple of years, I hope Sony sue the shit out "that" company. It would be a form of planned corporate espionage plain and simple, it's illegal, and overseeing government agencies should provide means of that type of foul play being punished.
He won't

He most likely will do consulting work like Hirai, with retiring funds. The man has been around for 30+ years, wtf would he wasted the glorious career on shit?

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm starting to realise there's no point in pointing this out to some people. Jim could say himself "I willingly sabotaged Playstation and was fired from my job" and people would still find a way to defend him.

And I'm not saying he willingly sabotaged anything, that's just dumb. But that he was fired, or at the very least encouraged to leave? Absolutely, I will stand by that.
He was either fired or encouraged to leave. Otherwise, Sony would have someone ready to replace him.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Darth Vader

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Give them a chance to make one last game but if it fails...what's the point? I'm sorry but you have to keep it real. Jim Ryan or not the same would happen.

Some people really need to take their meds and let go. He's leaving soon. Drop it already and seek therapy.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Japan Studio was killed for so much less.

I hope Mm can recover and make something good but there are now large gaps in the lineup. The plan for just focusing on a few big AAA games is not enough for a massive platform like PlayStation.

Time to end PC ports and buy some prestigious publishers and fill the gaps, make PlayStation the only place worth playing.

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023

I hope Mm can recover and make something good but there are now large gaps in the lineup. The plan for just focusing on a few big AAA games is not enough for a massive platform like PlayStation.

Time to end PC ports and buy some prestigious publishers and fill the gaps, make PlayStation the only place worth playing.
Or atleast look into buying or working with people who are more in tune with the PC front.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

None of Mm's games had PC ports, Bryan.