Media Molecule is reportedly laying off 15-20% of staff (around 20 of its 135 employees.)

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Sony PlayStation desperately wanted a cartoony platformer to compete with Nintendo and their extremely passionate base also clamored for this. Little Big Planet’s (and subsequently Media Molecule’s) success comes from this fleeting moment in time. They’ve never actually capitalized on it with anything truly great and their popularity has dwindled over time.
Astro bot is that platformer

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This I expected much sooner and was surprised it didnt happen earlier considering everything after LBP wasn't successful such as Tearaway.
Maybe weren't as successful as LBP, but all Media Molecule games were profitable and this studio gets many awards with each game they release.

What happened to Evo?
Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst basically resurrected Evolution and Liverpool Studio by acquiring Firesprite (+Fabrik) and hiring Lucid for Firesprite.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
xDDD

Let's see Jimbo's results:
-They are generating record revene for any console maker in gaming history
-They are generating more profit than SCE/SIE ever did
-They just broke the record of the fastest selling Sony game ever with Spider-Man 2
-Their previous record was set a few months ago with GoWR, and before it TLOU2. All games of his era
-PS5 is at record sales and performance
-Most of their studios released their best selling ever game during his period, and/or received more awards/better reviews than ever did before
-PSVR2 selling better and has a bigger and better first year lineup than PSVR1 with bigger focus on AAA IPs
-Highly improved their game subs and cloud gaming
-Bought Insomniac, Bungie, Firewalk (ex-Bungies), Bluepoint, Housemarque or ("resurrecting" SCE Liverpol Studio, Evolution and Bizarre Creations) Firesprite
-Highly increased the manpower of all their other studios
-Successfully expanded their IPs to movies, tv shows or even theme parks
-Successfully exploited the new revenue and profit source that are the PC ports without negatively affecting their console business

Why do you think he was fired? He's the most successful CEO than any console maker ever had. Unless he was raping kids or something like that, looking at his performance and strategy results there's absolutely no reason to fire him.

He got old and retired, that's all.

Totally wrong.

PS marketing team is more successful than ever. In addition to a small portion of the records he achieved and that I mentioned above, during his era PlayStation also achieved gaming history records in social media (Instagram, Twitter, Youtube...) for any console maker.

Most of the Sony live services games being developed now (that we know, including via job offers, LinkedIn etc.) or released during his era weren't greenlighted by him. Most of the games greenlighted by him (that we know including via job offers, LinkedIn, etc.) aren't live service games.

One of these live service games broke the record in Youtube quickly achieving 19M views on its reveal trailer. You may not like this games, but many other people do.

Another blowjob. So unexpected.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Maybe weren't as successful as LBP, but all Media Molecule games were profitable and this studio gets many awards with each game they release.

Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst basically resurrected Evolution and Liverpool Studio by acquiring Firesprite (+Fabrik) and hiring Lucid for Firesprite.
So why didn't we get driveclub back then

Reactions: JAHGamer

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
you're gonna love concord, and pretend you always loved Jim Ryan
I have not played multiplayer games, other than Souls, since the medival times. I suck at multiplayer and fail big times at it.

Also Concord haven't left the state of vaporware yet.

Last edited:

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I wonder why Sony even funded Dreams. They wasting amazing talent on a game development engine that obviously no one would use. Hope these guys are making something singular again

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Some western shills here will have a mental meltdown when the next appointed PlayStation CEO will turn out to be Japanese. Guaranteed!
Why would ppl have meltdowns?
Some western shills here will have a mental meltdown when the next appointed PlayStation CEO will turn out to be Japanese. Guaranteed!
Why would ppl from the west gaf about the head of Sony being Japanese? Sony thrived under their leadership and it's a Japanese company? I look forward to that if so.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Why would ppl have meltdowns?

Why would ppl from the west gaf about the head of Sony being Japanese? Sony thrived under their leadership and it's a Japanese company? I look forward to that if so.
Well you do look forward to it, but clearly some guys don’t share this positive vibes towards this idea. If you had read the past months the discussion, some people lost their mind about mentioning the idea of a Japanese guy becoming new PlayStation CEO.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Well you do look forward to it, but clearly some guys don’t share this positive vibes towards this idea. If you had read the past months the discussion, some people lost their mind about mentioning the idea of a Japanese guy becoming new PlayStation CEO.
I have been reading them lol I'm always on here and I didnt get that vibe but we live in a world where you'll find ppl with all diff opinions so maybe so.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Mate calling me western shill lol.
Not gonna happen lol

And there is a reason to fear that.

The most profitable gaming asset of Sony is a mobile game.

Jim Ryan got scrutinised by Sony' boards for Mobile sector slow growth.

Remember Capcom comments about mobile games?

SE's quarter reports also show their ambition to grow in mobile sector.

Japanese leadership are blinded by mobile games money lol

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Mate calling me western shill lol.
Not gonna happen lol
I never mentioned you? 🤔
You’re not one of them. Anyway never say “not gonna happen”, unless you work for SIE and maybe share your knowledge…
Next CEO will definitely be Kiichiro Urata or Lin Tao.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I never mentioned you? 🤔
You’re not one of them. Anyway never say “not gonna happen”, unless you work for SIE and maybe share your knowledge…
Next CEO will definitely be Kiichiro Urata or Lin Tao.
You can ruled Urata out because PS never really promote outsider for the CEO. Urata joined in 2021.

For Lin Tao, there is a reason why women only get so far as communication position in a lot of big corp. No way in hell Sony's boards allowed that to happen.

Very likely it's Hermen Hulst, as much as I hate to say this.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Actuallt there is Japanese person that can be appointed as head of PS. His family name started with Iwa-

Chances are still slim though.