Message from Hideaki & Hermen - An Exciting Future at Sony Interactive Entertainment

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
CEOBlogImage-053124-Blue.png

Since our founding, we have always strived to bring the best to our community and we take to heart Sony’s purpose to fill the world with emotion. We have pushed the boundaries of play by developing and launching hardware and content that brings more engaging experiences to more people across more devices in new and different ways for 30 years.

As of June 1, we have begun a new chapter in the history of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) and the PlayStation brand and family of products and services.

New Leadership
We take the helm of Sony Interactive as the CEOs of the SIE Platform Business Group and the SIE Studios Business Group. We will continue to collaborate closely to bring the best of the Platform Business Group, responsible for technology, hardware, and network services closer to the Studios Business Group, responsible for first party content and IP expansion, with the goal of bringing exciting new experiences to our expanding community.

The PlayStation community is at the heart of everything we do. While we don’t always get things right, we always listen, learn, and grow and adapt. Thank you for being with us these past thirty years. We appreciate our community and we want to be transparent and share what we can about our exciting new organizational structure.

We believe it’s never been more important for the leadership at SIE to step back, review our business holistically, and move forward with a new structure designed to bring out the best in the organization and deliver increasingly incredible experiences.

Below is the email we just sent to SIE employees worldwide. Thank you again for being on this journey with us and we look forward to amazing and delighting you for the next thirty years and beyond!

Team,

As announced in May, we have been appointed CEO of SIE’s Platform Business Group and CEO of SIE’s Studio Business Group effective June 1.

We would like to take a moment to express our excitement for this new challenge. We have both been with the organization for many years and in that time, we’ve seen the industry, and SIE, expand by leaps and bounds.

Over the last 30 years we have consistently delivered the “Best Place to Play” and the size of our community of players and creators has grown tremendously. Without the passion of everyone at SIE, we could not deliver the exceptional quality of experiences through our platforms and content, and we should all be proud of where we are today. We are confident the entire team at SIE will continue to respond to player and creator needs and advance experiences for the future.

Play and storytelling are fundamental to society. People are exploring new ways to interact with games just as the passionate creators within our studios and our development partners craft incredibly rich stories and immersive new ways to play and build communities. The inspiring technical talent within our engineering teams drive the creation of cutting-edge hardware and services, empowering game developers with the very best tools and ensuring gamers have the very best experiences. We are one SIE and all of us are essential to delivering these amazing experiences and share in our continued success.

Expectations for us are high and we aim to drive improving profitability. Technology has fundamentally changed the way we make and play games and more people are gaming than ever before. Digital transformation has changed the way we engage with our customers and the way we work. We recognize the world is evolving and we must prepare ourselves for growth in this environment. Through collaboration and innovation, SIE excels in both content creation and technological advancements, continuously reimagining the gaming landscape and charting a course for the future of interactive entertainment.

While having two CEOs is a new structure for SIE, we know this will foster greater creativity and innovation as we look for new ways to grow the business, always keeping our community at the forefront. Two distinct Business Groups will enable us to have more rigor and clarity across our lines of business as SIE continues to grow and evolve. As we step into our new roles, we will take time to deepen our understanding about various aspects of the business. In the coming weeks you will receive information about a future Town Hall, and moving forward, we plan to communicate with you regularly.

This is a truly exciting time with great opportunities to expand the boundaries of play. This new structure will let us continue our journey as trailblazers in the entertainment industry which has always been fueled by our passionate workforce. Together as one organization, we will continue to harness that passion to bring amazing innovative experiences to our expanding community.

Thank you for being on this journey with us!

Hideaki Nishino, CEO, Platform Business Group

Hermen Hulst, CEO, Studio Business Group

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
"best place to play"

I hope it can be again but I'm not convinced it is right now.

There's a lot to correct, the live big service push was a huge move in the wrong direction and some of the acquisitions were a true waste.

"Exciting time"... Not if you were to judge by the reception of the state of play.

There's lots of work to do.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
what i personally want them to do:

- bring PlayStation Experience back with presential crowd, orchestra and etc (have a fixed month for it every year, if it's June, it's June every year, if it's September, it's September every year)
- stop releasing games on Steam, EGS, GOG, invest heavly on a PlayStation PC Launcher, make the games be EXCLUSIVE to the PlayStation PC launcher, bringing Only On PlayStation back in a certain way (block games from running on Steam Deck, Lenovo Legion Go, Rog Ally and other portable handhelds)
- only port games to PC after 2 years, if possible, after 4 years when a sequel is coming out on the console
- make these live service games be avaliable on mobile, games like Helldivers 2 or Concord, make them playble on high end smartphones like iPhone 15 Pro (or higher) for additional revenue and profit
- acquire more studios like Ballistic Moon and Arrowhead
- invest in partner publishers to keep excluvity deals/marketing deals happening, (Square, Capcom, FromSoftware, Rockstar, WB)

Last edited:

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
"best place to play"

I hope it can be again but I'm not convinced it is right now.

There's a lot to correct, the live big service push was a huge move in the wrong direction and some of the acquisitions were a true waste.

"Exciting time"... Not if you were to judge by the reception of the state of play.

There's lots of work to do.
currently they're making PC the best place to play, Helldivers 2 doesn't require any subscription on PC, God Of War Ragnarok and other singleplayer titles run way better on the PC platform, and they even offer mobility with Rog Ally, Steam Deck, Lenovo Legion GO 🤡

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
I truly hope this PC thing ends up swiftly biting them in the ass and they correct course before it's too late for the brand to recover from their mistakes. Would be nice if PC ends up making them get rid of the requirement to have PS+ to play online, but that'll probably never happen

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Let's see what communication means for them. I don't really see anything changing much. This is obvious damage control because they definitely have seen the disgruntled PS5 base and the growing disdain towards the brand from their core audience.

I don't trust Hermen, so all of this is just PR nonsense.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The source with the full message:
https://sonyinteractive.com/en/news/blog/an-exciting-future-at-sony-interactive-entertainment/

The message is ok, but other than saying that they'll comunicate more regularly with their workers I don't see anything new or special in the message that is worth to be shared with the public.

Seems the typical mail from the CEO to motivate the workers, remind the high level mission and mentioning them that they'll have an internal A.M.A. where workers can ask them (them in this case) any doubt about the company's high level strategy. And well, in this case also to say hi after being promoted and mention they'll continue doing basically the same.

Last edited:

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Let's see what communication means for them. I don't really see anything changing much. This is obvious damage control because they definitely have seen the disgruntled PS5 base and the growing disdain towards the brand from their core audience.

I don't trust Hermen, so all of this is just PR nonsense.
Yes, damage control with the user base that's made this their most profitable gen ever by promising better communication and transparency with... staff.

Makes sense.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I truly hope this PC thing ends up swiftly biting them in the ass and they correct course before it's too late for the brand to recover from their mistakes. Would be nice if PC ends up making them get rid of the requirement to have PS+ to play online, but that'll probably never happen
They won't correct course anytime soon, all the people in charge are the ones that thought this was a great idea, even if it was obvious they have no incentive to admit it.

I love for it to end like you suggest, with them having to stop charging for online and cloud saves. It's what they deserve. :LOL:

what i personally want them to do:

- bring PlayStation Experience back with presential crowd, orchestra and etc (have a fixed month for it every year, if it's June, it's June every year, if it's September, it's September every year)
- stop releasing games on Steam, EGS, GOG, invest heavly on a PlayStation PC Launcher, make the games be EXCLUSIVE to the PlayStation PC launcher, bringing Only On PlayStation back in a certain way (block games from running on Steam Deck, Lenovo Legion Go, Rog Ally and other portable handhelds)
- only port games to PC after 2 years, if possible, after 4 years when a sequel is coming out on the console
- make these live service games be avaliable on mobile, games like Helldivers 2 or Concord, make them playble on high end smartphones like iPhone 15 Pro (or higher) for additional revenue and profit
- acquire more studios like Ballistic Moon and Arrowhead
- invest in partner publishers to keep excluvity deals/marketing deals happening, (Square, Capcom, FromSoftware, Rockstar, WB)
You forgot about adding Denuvo to all single player games, at least force PC players to actually pay for it like we do instead of them being able to play PlayStation games for free.

Reactions: Diah and kuzon

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yes, damage control with the user base that's made this their most profitable gen ever by promising better communication and transparency with... staff.

Makes sense.
What does their revenue has to do with my comment? And no I'm not asking a literal question as your answer will simply not make any sense even if you attempted to justify it.

Yes, damage control because exactly what I said in my previous comment. As I said, let's see what better communication means for them... As Hermen is nothing but a snake oil sales man. 🥱

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Strong leadership with good track record and gaming legacy. Playsation's future looks quite strong.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
All those fancy words are nice but when are we going to get new game announcements and see what's coming in 2025 and 2026? The sop was mediocore

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
OK compared to Xbox, PlayStation is much better.

& it ends there for me personally since I just enjoy gaming on console more than PC... I feel like I end up spending so much time tweaking when I play on PC. So console getting more powerful is such a positive thing for me.

You can Play Shadow of the Collosus, Bloodborne, Nioh 1& 2, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Stellar Blade Rise of the Ronin, God of War, God of War: Ragnarök, Horizon Zero Dawn, Horizon Forbbiden West, both the DLCs are amazing, Spiderman, Spiderman Miles Morales, Spiderman 2, Infamous, Infamous Second Son, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, The Last of Us, The Last of Us part 2, Uncharted 1, 2, & 3 (the remasters are great), Uncharted 4 + multiplayer DLC, Demon Souls remake, GranBlue Fantasy Relink, Final Fantasy XVI, Rachet & Clank, Rachet and Clank: Rift Apart, Returnal, Gran Turismo 7, The Last Gaurdian, Until Dawn, Detroit Become Human, Helldivers 2, Gravity Rush, Gravity Rush 2, Knack 1 & 2.

You could also try older titles like Resistance, Resistance Retribution, The order 1886, Jak & Daxter, Midevil 1&2, etc.

There's also just games that take longer or dont release on Xbox like granblue fantasy relink, etc.

Reactions: Diah

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
People are like... Where are the games Sony?... I'm like, where are the games.... entire industry?

Their next showcase/PS5Pro reveal is their ultimatum. if they don't have a proper showing of games (Uninterrumped gameplay from first party) then ok. it's time to riot.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
People are like... Where are the games Sony?... I'm like, where are the games.... entire industry?
They are in the store, you can go and buy them.

when are we going to get new game announcements and see what's coming in 2025 and 2026?
Other than some stuff they may show in the Doritos Summer Show, they always have a September TGS State of Play. But nowadays they focus on marketing stuff that is close to be released. Rarely they show stuff that is 2 or more years away.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022

Their next showcase/PS5Pro reveal is their ultimatum. if they don't have a proper showing of games (Uninterrumped gameplay from first party) then ok. it's time to riot.

There probably won't be a Showcase this year so...what then?