Message from Hideaki & Hermen - An Exciting Future at Sony Interactive Entertainment

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
sony already had several live service games. the problem isn't having live service games, it's forcing all their premier single player studios to do it.
Exactly. The problem with this whole discussion is that one says "why would they have their A studios working on live service" and the replies are "but they need live service", failing to understand that the argument isn't against live service, but rather against having the likes of Naughty Dog or Insomniac turned into Live Service studios.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Nah PS needs live service. You might not like live service but Sony needs live service games that are staples in the gaming industry to not rely on 3rd party. Live service can also expand PS ip to other platform that isn’t porting games to those platforms like Helldivers 2 having a collab w Killzone & selling Killzone armor or if Concord is a successful game they can bring sci fi characters like ratchet & clank as a hero or kratos as a hero (which would be cool & interesting to see)etc.

There’s 2 ways Sony could’ve expanded to live service & those are making them in house or partnering w 3rd party or buying 3rd party studios or publishers that have staples live service games just like MS did with ABK & Zenimax
Nah, PlayStation NEVER needed a live service game....I don't know where this lie started from, but it's become generally accepted for some reason. There is no such thing as "relying on 3rd party", 3rd parties rely on PlayStation, idk how everyone seems to have forgotten that. I guess during the ABK deal, everyone was worried about CoD becoming Xbox/PC only and that nonsense was ingrained in their brains. But the concept of relying on 3rd party never had any basis in reality. The fact is they have the largest AAA gaming storefront by far with the strongest install base (Switch doesn't get most 3rd party games). When you get 30% of every other live service game, you don't need your own, that's just a fact. Apple and Google make the most money from "gaming" and don't even make games. This gaas push is purely out of greed and not necessity, they did perfectly fine last generation without a big live service game....

Jim, Hermen, and Totoki are just greedy shortsighted idiots that don't care about PlayStation and just want to squeeze as much money out of SIE as they can, no matter how much it harms PlayStation in the long run. Which explains the stupid gaas push, punching pennies on 3rd party deals, and the failed PC initiative.

I'm not against gaas where it makes sense (mlb/gt7/hd2), but Sony went about it in the worst way. They threw billions into the gaas pit overnight without a clear plan, and now the entire generation is screwed because of it. This generation would be a lot better if 75% of that live service investment instead went into single player game investment. Let 3rd party try and fail chasing GAAS ghosts.

GHW8NUeWIAAP3PL.jpg:large

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
There probably won't be a Showcase this year so...what then?

There probably won't be a showcase this year?

Again, where do you get this stuff from?

There will almost certainly be a showcase in September to coincide with the PS5 Pro announcement. I'd bet my account against yours that there will be a showcase. You're once again completely off the mark.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
sony already had several live service games. the problem isn't having live service games, it's forcing all their premier single player studios to do it.

Yuh I was expecting Sony to make new teams inside there studios to work on live service games. Like for Naughty dog it seems the main team that makes singleplayer games was working on the live service which is questionable & if Sony did make a new team that specifically worked on live service it was clear w naughty dog that Sony underestimated the amount of man power they would need to crank out content for a live service. Which is something they should’ve known from the start of there live service venture.

Ultimately Sony needs to follow Nintendo route license PS ip to 3rd party to make singleplayer games & live service games using PS ip. Then there wouldn’t be a dry spell of PS studios games or games from PS ip coming from 3rd party

Last edited:

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Nah, PlayStation NEVER needed a live service game....I don't know where this lie started from, but it's become generally accepted for some reason. There is no such thing as "relying on 3rd party", 3rd parties rely on PlayStation, idk how everyone seems to have forgotten that. I guess during the ABK deal, everyone was worried about CoD becoming Xbox/PC only and that nonsense was ingrained in their brains. But the concept of relying on 3rd party never had any basis in reality. The fact is they have the largest AAA gaming storefront by far with the strongest install base (Switch doesn't get most 3rd party games). When you get 30% of every other live service game, you don't need your own, that's just a fact. Apple and Google make the most money from "gaming" and don't even make games. This gaas push is purely out of greed and not necessity, they did perfectly fine last generation without a big live service game....

Jim, Hermen, and Totoki are just greedy shortsighted idiots that don't care about PlayStation and just want to squeeze as much money out of SIE as they can, no matter how much it harms PlayStation in the long run. Which explains the stupid gaas push, punching pennies on 3rd party deals, and the failed PC initiative.

I'm not against gaas where it makes sense (mlb/gt7/hd2), but Sony went about it in the worst way. They threw billions into the gaas pit overnight without a clear plan, and now the entire generation is screwed because of it. This generation would be a lot better if 75% of that live service investment instead went into single player game investment. Let 3rd party try and fail chasing GAAS ghosts.

GHW8NUeWIAAP3PL.jpg:large
There is basis on not relying on 3rd party for live service that’s literally the reason Sony is doing live service. If Sony sees 3rd party make hundreds of million if not billion & a majority of this is massive profits as a platform & storefront owner who would earn 100% of profits why would you make live service? Not only can you make live service but you can rely less on 3rd party.

Nah if PS doesn’t expand there ips to live service PS as a whole will become irrelevant. Even Nintendo understands this which is why there relevant with the younger generation & there ip has a wide spectrum of young & old consumer base that buy Nintendo even thoe Nintendo makes “childish/family driven games”. Every publisher is pushing live service & it’s not only for massive profits but it’s to bring a younger generation to its ip. A marvel fan might buy Spider-Man 2 for $70 but for Spider-Man 3 they will have to wait 4-5 years or more for that marvel fan to spend $70 again but now that Marvel has a new live service game marvel rivals & has marvel characters including Spider-Man that Spider-Man fan who wouldn’t spend $ because Spider-Man is taking 5 years to make now plays marvel rivals & for the next 5 years that consumer buys $10 battlepass & buys Spider-Man cosmetics he’ll they buy other cosmetics for other heroes now that consumer spend more the $70 & that consumer is further invested in marvel. The goal for live service is to bring more content from the ip you like & get you to invest & spend more $ then a company would get by just selling a $70 singleplayer game that’s one & done.

Nintendo live service span Pokemon Go, Pokemon Unite, Pokemon Masters, Pokemon trading card online game, Mario Kart tour, Animal Crossing Pocket champ, Fire Emblem Heroes, Pikmin Bloom & many more Nintendo has was 10+ live service & those are just the mobile live service not even counting the live service on Nintendo console. Nintendo brings in more profit & is much more sustainable & balance as a business compared to PS. But PS having 3 (4 if you want to count MLB but that’s on Xbox & Nintendo) live service games on PS console isn’t enough to remain balance.

Not bringing new younger consumer to your brand leads to long term decay. It’s a balance & it’s something Sony should’ve done before the PS5 gen buying studios who make live service games & studios that make singleplayer games. Sony should’ve turn many of there studios multi team like Insomniac. Sony should’ve also green lighted live service that are guaranteed success a Diablo like GOW live service, SOCOM live service, PS Allstars reboot live service, Diablo like Demon Souls/Bloodborne live service all of these are essentially guaranteed success. The fact Sony green lighted a Twister Metal live service is just strange since that’s really a 50/50 toss up of success.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Exactly. The problem with this whole discussion is that one says "why would they have their A studios working on live service" and the replies are "but they need live service", failing to understand that the argument isn't against live service, but rather against having the likes of Naughty Dog or Insomniac turned into Live Service studios.
That’s not even the problem aswell. The problem isn’t that Naughty Dog or Insomniac where making live service games actually that’s a great thing because if Naughty Dog or Insomniacs had a live service game under there studio there studio wouldn’t have layoffs as much & the profits brought from the live service game could’ve went to singleplayer games.

The problem is that Naughty Dog & Insomniac main teams who make singleplayer games where working on live service games. When instead Sony should’ve heavily invested in the studio to create a live service team that solely works on the live service game ambitions.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
The problem is that Naughty Dog & Insomniac main teams who make singleplayer games where working on live service games. When instead Sony should’ve heavily invested in the studio to create a live service team that solely works on the live service game ambitions.
Semantics

24 Jun 2022
There probably won't be a showcase this year?

Again, where do you get this stuff from?

There will almost certainly be a showcase in September to coincide with the PS5 Pro announcement. I'd bet my account against yours that there will be a showcase. You're once again completely off the mark.

If what they have planned this year is only as "good" or even worst than the Showcase last year, and considering they're aware of the community feedback from that one...then yes, they will skip having a Showcase this year.

Better to just throw those announcements into a SGF, Gamescom, TGS and the VGAs than have all the pressure, and take all the heat, for a PlayStation Showcase that might end up disappointing again. Or worst, confirming more than a few worries about the future direction of the brand, focalized to a single event with all eyes watching.

EDIT: Oh as to the bet? Wanna make it a two-week account ban for who's wrong? I'm game for that. 😂

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
My Dual Sense stopped working yesterday... I had never had any hardware failure in all my console gaming history until this gen, had to send my console to be repaired due to a faulty disc driver and now my triangle button won't register on the controller. 🙃

What a cursed generation.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Which of Sonys A studios are doing gaas? ND was one but they have history with multiplayer, TLOUO made perfect sense. You still have SSM, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, and Guerrilla making AAA single player games. Firewalk is brand new and they decided on multiplayer... bungie is also multiplayer

this gass initiative hardly even seems to be effecting their pipeline... the only one I can think of is ND.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Which of Sonys A studios are doing gaas? ND was one but they have history with multiplayer, TLOUO made perfect sense. You still have SSM, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, and Guerrilla making AAA single player games. Firewalk is brand new and they decided on multiplayer... bungie is also multiplayer

this gass initiative hardly even seems to be effecting their pipeline... the only one I can think of is ND.
Fuckin hell I have answered this before.
With the exception of SSM, ALL of their main studios are or were working on live service games.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Fuckin hell I have answered this before.
With the exception of SSM, ALL of their main studios are or were working on live service games.
So SIE is falling apart because Bend isn't making a single player game? Guerilla is going back to it's multiplayer roots? Sucker Punch will have the GoT Legends mode (again) at launch? Is it joever for GoT2 becuase of this? This all seems like business as usual honestly.

Horizon 3 is still coming, Naughty Dog will deliver a new Ip, Bend will try a New Ip. and Insomniac remains a marvel studio until 2032. The only thing that sucks is that ND wasted several years, but we will still seer their next game, albeit a little later.

Just to remind you SIE "big 5" PS4 output 4 years into the gen was

Insomniac - ratchet remake
Bend - had been silent for a long ass time
ND - Uncharted 4
Sucker Punch - Infamous SS/FL
Guerrilla - Horizon, Killzone Shadow fall

to be honest with you, most of the listed games above are mid aside of U4 and Horizon. Were you whining this much last gen too?

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So SIE is falling apart because Bend isn't making a single player game? Guerilla is going back to it's multiplayer roots? Sucker Punch will have the GoT Legends mode (again) at launch? Is it joever for GoT2 becuase of this? This all seems like business as usual honestly.

Horizon 3 is still coming, Naughty Dog will deliver a new Ip, Bend will try a New Ip. and Insomniac remains a marvel studio until 2032. The only thing that sucks is that ND wasted several years, but we will still seer their next game, albeit a little later.

ND - Uncharted 4

to be honest with you, most of the listed games above are mid aside of U4 and Horizon. Were you whining this much last gen too?
you forgot Sony London had to be shut down because their live service game sucked. Maybe they'd have released a banger already if they were working on a 1p game.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
you forgot Sony London had to be shut down because their live service game sucked. Maybe they'd have released a banger already if they were working on a 1p game.
Sony London is not relevant and theirs no reason to pretend they ever were.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sony London is not relevant and theirs no reason to pretend they ever were.
Sucker punch wasnt relevant before ghost of tsushima. Insomniac was barely relevant before spider-man.

This is a terrible argument.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sucker punch wasnt relevant before ghost of tsushima. Insomniac was barely relevant before spider-man.

This is a terrible argument.
The same Sucker Punch that made Sly Cooper and Infamous? The same Insomniac that made Ratchet and Resistance? Are we gonna compare them to the folks behind the hit game...... EyeToy? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The two devs you mentioned earned their stripes over a long period of time. Sony London was getting memed on for Wonderbook (a game you likely never heard of)

This is coming from someone who bought at least 4 of their games.

Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
If what they have planned this year is only as "good" or even worst than the Showcase last year, and considering they're aware of the community feedback from that one...then yes, they will skip having a Showcase this year.

Better to just throw those announcements into a SGF, Gamescom, TGS and the VGAs than have all the pressure, and take all the heat, for a PlayStation Showcase that might end up disappointing again. Or worst, confirming more than a few worries about the future direction of the brand, focalized to a single event with all eyes watching.

EDIT: Oh as to the bet? Wanna make it a two-week account ban for who's wrong? I'm game for that. 😂

They have a lot more in the works. They can show Wolverine at any time they want, but they choose not to. How many other games are in that position? They're obviously waiting for a bigger show to fully display Wolverine and we already know Venom is going to come out before Wolverine.

Let's make it a month.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

Sony London never released a critically acclaimed game.

I would say that Naughty Dog significantly surpassed Insomniac after the PS2 generation with Uncharted having significantly more success than Resistance.

Sucker Punch would have rated below Insomniac.

Right now I think the Sony rankings are as follows:

Naughty Dog - 4 successful franchises, all original IP, technically most advanced studio, 2 franchises that can sell games with more than 10 million units
Bungie - Largest studio, 2 successful franchises, all original IP, currently owns 1 IP, working on bringing back Marathon
Santa Monica - Only 1 IP, but sony's current top original IP
Polyphony Digital - Only 1 IP, but the longest-tenured successful IP
Guerrilla Games - 2 successful franchises, all original IP
Sucker Punch - 1 very successful franchise, all original IP
Insomniac - Very successful with licensed IP, but 4 well done franchises, biggest overall franchise for Sony at the moment, expanding to Wolverine/X-Men
Nixxes - Extremely consistent technically
Bluepoint - Extremely consistent technically
Asobi - Not really a track record for success, though critical acclaim
Bend - Mixed, but Day's Gone and Syphon Filter were moderately successful for their times, they haven't had much critical success lately
Housemarque - Returnal sold okay
Media Molecule - Critically acclaimed, but lack of financial success in a very long time
San Diego Studio - financial success, but only works on one IP, which seems in pretty serious decline
Firewalk - Pretty mixed impressions so far, but could boost up if the beta is successful for Concord
Firesprite - Very mixed
Haven - Nothing worth talking about so far

I don't think it's a coincidence that the studios sony just purchased are in the lower half of this list, not only do they have less track record or perhaps no track record.

Overall I ranked studios based on technical prowess, original IP, generating multiple franchises, critical acclaim, and financial success, and overall value.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Are you able to argue without a massive strawman? I proved you wrong, take the L and move on.

ND - Uncharted 4

Just to remind you of this (only PS studios releases. Not including games from studios that were not part of SIE)
    • Killzone: Shadow Fall
    • Knack
    • The Playroom
    • Driveclub
    • Infamous First Light
    • Infamous Second Son
    • Entwined
    • Bloodborne
    • Tearaway Unfolded
    • Ratchet & Clank
    • The Last Guardian
    • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

• Demon's Souls
    • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    • Astro's Playroom
    • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    • God of War Ragnarök
    • Gran Turismo 7
    • Horizon Forbidden West
    • The Last of Us Part I
    • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
The kicker is... All of the games listed between 2013 and 2016 are PS4 exclusives with the exception of Entwined. On the contrary, only Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Rift Apart, Spider-Man 2, and The Last of Us Part I are PS5 exclusives. Out of all the games from the PS5 generation so far, only Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Gran Turismo 7, and Spider-Man 2 have not already been ported to PC.

I didn't even include PS3 remasters for the PS4 years just to give this generation a fair chance and it still pales in comparison. 5 exclusives with 1 being a remake, and since 2020 only 4 of their exclusives have not been ported to PC. If I include "published by PS Studios" games above the last generation not only wins with a bigger margin, it absolutely destroys the current generation.

This generation has been absolute garbage and there's little incentive right now to buy a PS5.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Are you able to argue without a massive strawman? I proved you wrong, take the L and move on.

Just to remind you of this (only PS studios releases. Not including games from studios that were not part of SIE)
    • Killzone: Shadow Fall
    • Knack
    • The Playroom
    • Driveclub
    • Infamous First Light
    • Infamous Second Son
    • Entwined
    • Bloodborne
    • Tearaway Unfolded
    • Ratchet & Clank
    • The Last Guardian
    • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

• Demon's Souls
    • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    • Astro's Playroom
    • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    • God of War Ragnarök
    • Gran Turismo 7
    • Horizon Forbidden West
    • The Last of Us Part I
    • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
The kicker is... All of the games listed between 2013 and 2016 are PS4 exclusives with the exception of Entwined. On the contrary, only Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Rift Apart, Spider-Man 2, and The Last of Us Part I are PS5 exclusives. Out of all the games from the PS5 generation so far, only Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Gran Turismo 7, and Spider-Man 2 have not already been ported to PC.

I didn't even include PS3 remasters for the PS4 years just to give this generation a fair chance and it still pales in comparison. 5 exclusives with 1 being a remake, and since 2020 only 4 of their exclusives have not been ported to PC. If I include "published by PS Studios" games above the last generation not only wins with a bigger margin, it absolutely destroys the current generation.

This generation has been absolute garbage and there's little incentive right now to buy a PS5.
Why did you list last of us part 1 but not the original last of us and its remaster?