Metacritic improving moderation after "abusive, disrespectful" Horizon Forbidden West Burning Shores reviews

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's about damn time! Review bombing because there are two women kissing is snowflake manchild behavior.
Get a grip, gamer manchildren.
Yeah there are things I don't agree with in Tlou2 but I love the game itself and wouldnt review bomb a game just because of my personal beliefs or opinion. It's stupid!

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Here's what Metacritic actually said:

"Fandom is a place of belonging for all fans and we take online trust and safety very seriously across all our sites including Metacritic. Metacritic is aware of the abusive and disrespectful reviews of Horizon Forbidden West Burning Shores and we have a moderation system in place to track violations of our terms of use.

Our team reviews each and every report of abuse (including but not limited to racist, sexist, homophobic, insults to other users, etc) and if violations occur, the reviews are removed. We are currently evolving our processes and tools to introduce stricter moderation in the coming months."
Sounds like nothing to me (internal policies are always evolving) and whatever changes are upcoming were prompted by past review bombing campaigns rather than this one specifically.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Spongebob and Harry Potter say otherwise. Its good to have both the user and critic reviews and a good Metacritic user can get information from both.
Anyone that puts any weight into Metacritic user score is a complete moron.

Does anyone outside of video game forums even care about reviews?
If you play single player games you probably do to some degree.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
it can be so easy to fix. just make agreements with nintendo, sony, m$, that metacritic account is linked with those, and you can write review from your platform of choice after you bought the game. so this review will be visible on metacritic.
similar what Steam has done. you buy game, you can review it. it would filtrate most of this review bombing nonsense.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
They should just drop the user review completely, it was always worthless and it's not fixable.
Not necessarily as I would not have played Terminator on PS4 based on the shot. Likewise the hatchet job on Days Gone was redeemed by positive user scores. I bought and enjoyed the broken road on Day 1. Unless there is some way to see if the user has played it, I'd agree with withdrawing it until its fixed.
Just ask to verify if you have an Xbox / Microsoft gaming account and ban them from submitting reviews if they do. Simple!
To be fair I'm sure there are some unfair stinkers of reviews of Xbox games. I don't think anyone can claim a moral superiority.