Metacritic improving moderation after "abusive, disrespectful" Horizon Forbidden West Burning Shores reviews

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I don't know why moderation needs to be improved, it should have already been a standard in place, why do we have to get to a stage where outrage has to be reached to remove homophobic comments?

This should already be the absolute bare minimum response or standard.

Just like on these forums, come in with any of that crap you get banned, do people really have to complain for them to do something.

The system is not fit for purpose.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
People want to critique a thing on a particular basis, that's their business. It's pretty obvious what someone's bent is when you read a review and that is kind of the point - what did this person think of this - if you don't like it when you finish it/read an excerpt someone pasted on a forum, you can ask for your money back I guess

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
People want to critique a thing on a particular basis, that's their business. It's pretty obvious what someone's bent is when you read a review and that is kind of the point - what did this person think of this - if you don't like it when you finish it/read an excerpt someone pasted on a forum, you can ask for your money back I guess
Nah, people shouldn't be allowed to post their bigoted views freely. Glad it's being taken care of. These are private business and they are allowed to moderate content at their will.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Does anyone outside of video game forums even care about reviews?
I know I dont care about reviews. If I see a game that has an interesting story, good gameplay loop and looks like the quality matches the asking price, im buying in. Why should we let a couple hundred people play tastemaker on what we supposed to enjoy as gamers. that's not even a reliable sample size for any data

• thisistheway
Reactions: Deleted member 417
P

peter42O

Does anyone outside of video game forums even care about reviews?

I would say no. Casuals who aren't on forums and social media don't give a shit about reviews. If anything, they would just based on word of mouth from others they know.

They should get rid of user reviews alltogether

This 100%. I have said for years that Meta Critic should eliminate user scores and user reviews because there's no way to verify any of them and no one who works for Meta Critic is going to go through each and every one of them to validate them. Plus, it would be a waste of money, time and resources. Eliminate both and problem solved.

I use to find new games to play... so I find it useful.
Metacritic in special always helped me to decide what play next.

I do this as well but on Open Critic instead. I usually will go through games every year just to see if I missed anything of interest. It has happened a few times and when it does, I watch reviews on YouTube from either GamingBolt or YouTubers that I follow as their interests normally line up with my own so if they like the game, pretty good chance that I will also like the game.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
FukSexnWcAAjb_q

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Nope, this is just plain wrong.

Where do we stop, comments about race as well?

There should be zero tolerance for people being bigots, those types of critics should never be allowed a voice.

Reactions: Swift_Star
24 Jun 2022
This still doesnt sound like what it needs to be. There needs to be a product verification system in place before you can write any user review. For a site as big as metacritic its unacceptable they didnt have something along those lines + more in place already.

Not just product verification, but also verification you've actually played a decent portion of the game. Meaning the verification should also be tied to the user's PSN/XBL/Steam/NSO user profile account(s). That way MC and others can verify they've played the game through their trophies/achievements etc. and then if they want to leave a review (positive or negative)...let them.

I'm not saying it would be super-easy to implement, but they will have to do it anyway, because the review bombings are getting out of hand and reflecting very poorly on Metacritic as a whole. And it's a better solution than just getting rid of user reviews altogether. Unfortunately the jackasses who review-bomb for politically-motivated reasons are always the ones who ruin an otherwise good thing for everybody else.

it can be so easy to fix. just make agreements with nintendo, sony, m$, that metacritic account is linked with those, and you can write review from your platform of choice after you bought the game. so this review will be visible on metacritic.
similar what Steam is done. you buy game, you can review it. it would filtrate most of this review bombing nonsense.

That's another good way it could be implemented. And, I'm sure Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft would be just fine with working with Metacritic to enable it. Point is, they need some actual verification now for user reviews, otherwise MC's reputation is going to take a big hit.

Reactions: Kyoji

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
At least critic reviews have a requirement, as a user you can write anything yo uwant without any proof you played the game.
I see you’re unfamiliar with some of the recent review controversies such as Days Gone.

Pros aren’t playing the games for more than half an hour in some cases.

Reactions: Zzero

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Nope, this is just plain wrong.

Where do we stop, comments about race as well?

There should be zero tolerance for people being bigots, those types of critics should never be allowed a voice.

A person saying they don't like a game for any particular political reason to me is not anything to be concerned about. I didn't lose my shit over the ridiculous politically motivated Harry Potter reviews either and the game seemed to do ok even with that stuff existing.

• they're_right_you_know

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
A person saying they don't like a game for any particular political reason to me is not anything to be concerned about. I didn't lose my shit over the ridiculous politically motivated Harry Potter reviews either and the game seemed to do ok even with that stuff existing.
No @Nym, SLAP

amanda bynes slapping GIF

• brain
Reactions: Nym

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not necessarily as I would not have played Terminator on PS4 based on the shot. Likewise the hatchet job on Days Gone was redeemed by positive user scores. I bought and enjoyed the broken road on Day 1. Unless there is some way to see if the user has played it, I'd agree with withdrawing it until its fixed.
You could just have looked for some gameplay of the game on youtube and figured that out. Metacritic user score will always be worthless and even critic scores are in risk of losing their relevance with so many awful reviews out there.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It is a little concerning to me that the particular thing mentioned in the review is part of the game's ending. I haven't played those games and as far as I can tell the story is garbage (the robot dinosaurs might be hint there...) but some people like it so its a bit annoying that reviewers are spoiling stuff like that. Its different from the Joel thing which happens comparatively early on in the game.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
You could just have looked for some gameplay of the game on youtube and figured that out.
Thats ridiculous. Asking people to switch from written to video or audio content is a brainlet move. People are going to gather information in the format they want and telling them to switch to some other format is like talking to a wall. Watching short gameplay clips is also not really a good way of learning if a game is good or not. You don't get to find out if the controls "feel" bad or if its too short, if it has limited character moves or bad and confusing menus, a dumb story, etc. All you really get to learn is what genre the game is (which, realistically speaking, you probably already know) and what the graphics are like (and who really cares about that?)

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Thats ridiculous. Asking people to switch from written to video or audio content is a brainlet move. People are going to gather information in the format they want and telling them to switch to some other format is like talking to a wall. Watching short gameplay clips is also not really a good way of learning if a game is good or not. You don't get to find out if the controls "feel" bad or if its too short, if it has limited character moves or bad and confusing menus, a dumb story, etc. All you really get to learn is what genre the game is (which, realistically speaking, you probably already know) and what the graphics are like (and who really cares about that?)
Keep reading Metacritic user reviews then, to me that is what's ridiculous. If there is any game you didn't play because of Metacritic user reviews I'm just sad for you.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Keep reading Metacritic user reviews then, to me that is what's ridiculous. If there is any game you didn't play because of Metacritic user reviews I'm just sad for you.
Do you only play brand new first party or massively advertised games or something? Metacritic is amazing for going back and finding games you missed, or reviewing on-sale titles to see if they are worth it. For every review-bombed there's 500+ that aren't.

I should make it clear though, you want to actually scroll through and read a few reviews rather than just taking the number as a whole.