Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
You do realise they said "Switch is a handheld and performs on par as a Nintendo handheld always has."
  • DS - 154M units
  • Gameboy and GB color - 118M units
  • GB Advance - 81M units
So yeah, the Switch is performing on par with other handheld Nintendo consoles.
The Switch is mostly a home console, as confirmed by Nintendo themselves.
Yes, it is a hybrid but overall a home-console. A home-console that will outsell the PS4 this year.
Just like the next-gen Switch will outsell the PS4 and the PS5.

Reactions: DarkMage619
P

peter42O

What did Nintendo confirm?

From Polygon article in October 2016 -

“Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost,” the company told Polygon when asked if the system was going to impact the sale of the 3DS portable systems. “We have made no announcement regarding the future of Nintendo 3DS.

I really don't understand why anyone would dismiss Switch unless it's because it's going to most likely surpass PlayStation 2 to be the best selling gaming console of all time. Otherwise, don't see why anyone here would even care or why it would matter.

• Informative

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com

“Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost,” the company told Polygon when asked if the system was going to impact the sale of the 3DS portable systems. “We have made no announcement regarding the future of Nintendo 3DS.

I really don't understand why anyone would dismiss Switch unless it's because it's going to most likely surpass PlayStation 2 to be the best selling gaming console of all time. Otherwise, don't see why anyone here would even care or why it would matter.

I mean that's fine that Nintendo said that in 2016, the thing is the 3DS and it's games pretty much stopped selling. So Nintendo absolutely replaced both the Wii-U and 3DS effectively in their product lines, as far as consumers were concerned. If that quote is what @Sleepy Brown is referring to.. from 2016? That's pretty silly.

It's not a dismissal to point out that Switch is a hybrid console, it's a reality. It's not a dismissal to point out Nintendo's product line went from Home + Mobile to 1 hybrid device either, it's a reality.

It's not something negative against Nintendo (unless you are some warrior), but just not mentioning it in is odd too.

P

peter42O

I mean that's fine that Nintendo said that in 2016, the thing is the 3DS and it's games pretty much stopped selling. So Nintendo absolutely replaced both the Wii-U and 3DS effectively in their product lines, as far as consumers were concerned. If that quote is what @Sleepy Brown is referring to.. from 2016? That's pretty silly.

It's not a dismissal to point out that Switch is a hybrid console, it's a reality. It's not a dismissal to point out Nintendo's product line went from Home + Mobile to 1 hybrid device either, it's a reality.

It's not something negative against Nintendo (unless you are some warrior), but just not mentioning it in is odd too.

I don't know if that's the quote Sleepy is referring to or not. I simply did a search and that's what Nintendo said they consider it to be back in late 2016. I consider it a home console and a handheld since it's a hybrid which is perfect for Nintendo.

Nintendo's best success outside of Wii was handhelds so if you can combine the console success of Wii with the handheld success of 3DS, why wouldn't they? It was a brilliant move. I laughed back in January 2017 and thought it was going to bomb yet regardless of how anyone wants to look at it, it's going to end up at the very least, the 3rd best selling console of all time.

OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022

The reality is that the Switch is mostly a home-console and it will surpass the PS2 as the most successful & best selling home-console of all time.
Yes Nintendo realized that handhelds were dying (just look at the weak launch of the 3DS and the flop that was the PS Vita) and that supporting a handheld and a home-console at the same time was too difficult these days.
So they created the Switch, which is a hybrid, but mostly a home console.

And the rest is history. Nintendo is the market leader and the Switch will be the best selling home-console of all time.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
In no shape or form is switch a home console. It doesnt compete with either Xbox or PlayStation and is completely irrelevant to those consumers. It’s a supplementary game machine and the option for lower income gamers with limited TV sets or PCs at home; that is aside from their primary demographic —- elementary and middle school children.

Saying it’s a home console is just what Nintendo fanboys say to play pretend since they cannot accept Nintendo QUIT the home console race. Of course Nintendo played the same game of semantics and will continue to do so — doesn’t make it any less of a lie to call it a home console. It’s not.

It’s a handheld with a video out function. My laptop does this… does it make it a desktop? Didn’t the VITA do this too? So is the PS VITA a home console too or does it need a plastic stand for that?

Handheld thru and thru down to its mobile chipsets and sub hd resolutions. Performs just as the DS did. In fact, DS and Wii was more successful.

Nintendo quit home console development. Different demographics. Different software. No third party support.

Stop lying

Last edited:
  • haha

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Well people didn't know they would go PC for years and look where we are now. I just am of the camp to never assume everything will be as it always was. Change *does* happen over time.
Sony has literally 70% profits reason to not drop playstation anytime soon lol

Yes I'm talking about the amount of money they make with 3rd party content in their store

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
They reality is that the Switch is mostly a home-console and it will surpass the PS2 as the most successful & best selling home-console of all time.
Yes Nintendo realized that handhelds were dying (just look at the weak launch of the 3DS and the flop that was the PS Vita) and that supporting a handheld and a home-console at the same time was too difficult these days.
So they created the Switch, which is a hybrid, but mostly a home console.

And the rest is history. Nintendo is the market leader and the Switch will be the best selling home-console of all time.
You are quoting them deflecting a question about whether the Switch replaces both their home and mobile consoles, and they sort of say "Switch is mainly a home console, no comment on the future of 3DS."

From 2016...

Then, Switch clearly replaced the 3DS and Nintendo killed off the line, as nobody was buying it or games for it anymore.

Because, quite obviously... the Switch is NOT primarily a home console lol

There's nothing wrong with that, but there's something strange about denying the reality of that with a defensive 6 year old comment from Nintendo that absolutely didn't pan out.

Switch gets a small fraction of big 3rd party games.. it's a product in the same market, but one that is not being targeted by most of the companies we talk about on gaming forums.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
That would be very dumb. They're market leaders by a good margin, and they make most of their money from the 30 % cut on any sale on their store + DLC and all. Would Apple give up on the cut on Apple Store ? Don't think so either. You have no reason to change a winning strategy. They bring their games to PC to both add easy money to the bank AND make new people aware of Sony games and ecosystem. Some of them will ultimately buy their games on the PSN Store and buy their console. Some of them will talk about those games to their friends. The others will continue buying Sony games on PC when the port releases 1 or 2 years later or something, and that's fine too. There's zero reason to go 3rd party for them.

Those who could go 3rd parties are the competitors, especially Xbox if GP isn't very successful (which looks likely from the first numbers we have). But then MS would probably prefer just selling everything and move on from gaming because without the cut on the store, profit margins are limited (which is the only reason MS still tries its luck on gaming ultimately).

There's one other potential scenario that can play out for MS that effectively guarantees a spot for GamePass in the future even if it ends up never turning a big revenue with high profit margin: big influx of Azure cloud clients from the gaming scene.

MS have been wanting to expand Azure growth for a while because growth for it in the entrenched markets has slowed significantly. They know it'd be hard if not impossible to keep trying to grow Azure usage in business-related markets like data centers, finance, medical, engineering, telecommunications etc. Either because they already have fully saturated those markets, or competition from Amazon is too strong, or in the case of foreign markets, competition and favoritism from home-based rivals would make it nearly impossible.

So, that's why they want to turn to gaming. Getting more Azure clients from the game development community would net MS a lot of long-term clientele, and long-term big revenue with high profit margins. GamePass is really just acting as the door for them to get their Azure foot in and then let the Azure department get to the real business. That's why they celebrated the strategic partnership announcement with Sega earlier on, and the Kojima one, too; for MS those might represent big growth for more Azure clients from Japan, the Japanese gaming scene, it's a big growth market for them.

However, I think (or at least, I hope) companies like Sony see this other intent, and are making their own moves in this regard. It's probably a reason why Sony still aren't outright using Azure, but are on via a MOU (Memorandum of Understanding). It's probably also a reason Haven had that recent interview talking about cloud-based software development being a utility for the dev team, and the possibilities it presents. Sony simply can't compete with MS when it comes to outright cloud infrastructure, they're way too late in that game and don't have enough funds.

However, they obviously have their own SDK packages, API tools, their ICE teams (and the services & tools they can provide), and therefore a suite of technologies and services for enabling game development for 3P developers that they can provide and therefore retain developers as clientele over the long-term using their tools and services over, say, Microsoft's, at least primarily. Things like ensuring install base leadership with PS consoles and expanding PS reach into PC (thereby potentially developing tools, both native and cloud-based, that can facilitate easier dual development of PS & PC versions of games for 3P partners) will make this easier for them to accomplish. Same with retaining PS+ sub counts and expanding them, and spreading out into mobile.

This is the other side of the resource battle things like the industry acquisitions are hiding. Or, well not really "hiding" but might be less noticeable since it's not dealing about IP or games specifically, and also because it isn't wholly dependent on acquisitions in the first place, though those can help (for example, there's some tech from studios like iD Software MS got alongside buying Zenimax that they've since been working with to bolster xCloud and, most likely, implement at an API level in the GDK and within other tools for Azure cloud services to non-gaming clients, maybe by integrating Origin code into source code of other products like Teams).

I don't know about that to be honest. I am getting vibes of software only in the future but we'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS and Sony abandon consoles next-generation (2027 and beyond).

If that happens it would be the absolute biggest mistake either company could make, and I'd be praying for Apple, Samsung, anybody to hop in with a real 10th-gen console to show them what a mistake Sony and/or MS would make by not putting something out there.

There are still so many technologies they can incorporate in a future design, there is still a need to standardize VR & AR and make them mainstream, still quite a few untapped gaming experiences that can be served in a way only a proper console can truly deliver at mass scale. Still so many efficiencies that can be had in console engineering with new technologies and methodologies.

Not to mention the software-related benefits being a platform holder brings. I still see one more true generation for console gaming but, after a PS6 or Series Z, I can definitely see the traditional console market as it currently exists subsiding into something more like where the consoles are equivalents to set top boxes or smartphones, and either all game development is done on a common OS and SDK where games can run natively regardless of platform holder box (with scalable settings), or where even that's skipped for a cloud streaming approach.

Ironically I think we'd see those type of systems built in partnership with actual set top box cable and satellite providers, in a way it could be the PSX-DVR and XBO type of designs coming full circle, just in 2040 instead of 2004 or 2013.

A while ago there was a thread showing ps had more revenue then xbox in the npd data. Some idiot mod didn't like it, so they shutdown the thread because apparantley revenue didn't matter. Don't reallty use era for news anymore, ps subreddits seems as quick as era in posting news.

Wow, that place has zero shame in the shilling now I guess. @Swift_Star was pointing this stuff out months ago, then I started to notice, and now they're shutting down discussion over literal facts from industry analysts because they don't push the narrative they want?

There was another thread asking if PC (Steam) users would switch to console if Steam suddenly went away, and a mod locked that one up too because they said the thread was arguing based on bad faith, even though the OP just asked a hypothetical question. They have plenty of threads there with wild hypotheticals all the time, never got shut down.

Very thinly-veiled agendas there now, sadly.

Reactions: laynelane and Rivet

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
What a stupid article… I wonder how many analysts say apple will go out of the market for raising prices… that never happens because it’s an American company. American media hates Sony because it’s not an American company.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
I don't know where this narrative of Playstation going third party came from but its hilarious since Xbox basically is third party.

• they're_right_you_know

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don't know where this narrative of Playstation going third party came from but its hilarious since Xbox basically is third party.

They seem to forget that out of all the hardcore gaming platforms that exist; Xbox is smallest playerbase of them all. Like significantly smaller compared to either PlayStation or Steam. It’s like 40/40/20

What a fucking joke

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

I think that narrative fell when they started selling a portable only version and no fixed version.

What's telling here is that they tell us why, they would have preferred to keep selling the 3ds as well as the switch for as long as possible.

Reactions: Swift_Star
OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
You are quoting them deflecting a question about whether the Switch replaces both their home and mobile consoles, and they sort of say "Switch is mainly a home console, no comment on the future of 3DS."

From 2016...

Then, Switch clearly replaced the 3DS and Nintendo killed off the line, as nobody was buying it or games for it anymore.

Because, quite obviously... the Switch is NOT primarily a home console lol

There's nothing wrong with that, but there's something strange about denying the reality of that with a defensive 6 year old comment from Nintendo that absolutely didn't pan out.

Switch gets a small fraction of big 3rd party games.. it's a product in the same market, but one that is not being targeted by most of the companies we talk about on gaming forums.
The Switch is mostly a home console. A hybrid, but overall a home-console.
Nintendo says it. The media says it. The fans say it.

It's just the fanboys who are mad because the Switch will be the best selling home-console of all time. Which means it will hurt some feelings.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
The Switch is mostly a home console. A hybrid, but overall a home-console.
Nintendo says it. The media says it. The fans say it.

It's just the fanboys who are mad because the Switch will be the best selling home-console of all time. Which means it will hurt some feelings.
They can say whatever they want, it's still a tablet you can connect to the TV and attach controllers.

• they're_right_you_know

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Where is the TV only version? Even the Vita had a TV only version.

- They have a portable only version
- The features they improve are related to portability (OLED screen is useless when connected to the TV)
- The true full size controller is optional

I'd say that the docked mode is an afterthought.

Reactions: Deleted member 13
Status
Not open for further replies.