The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Speculation from Microsoft based on their analysis/predictions:

From the FTC/Microsoft court case:

“Xbox Series S is sold for $50 less than the Switch OLED model,”

Microsoft stated in their proposed findings of fact legal document":

“Xbox Series S is sold for $50 less than the Switch OLED model, PlayStation likewise sells a less expensive Digital Edition for $399.99, and is expected to release a PlayStation 5 Slim later this year at the same reduced price point.” A footnote on the same page touches on Project Q’s expected price as under $300, which would roughly convert to £235 / AU$450.

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom
D

Deleted member 417

I hope so. I'll get one for xmas be in a waiting list to pick one up 6 months after release.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
24 Jun 2022
"Anticipates". AKA just going off Tom Henderson's rumors like everyone else.

Although since Tom was right about Project Q, I expect he's right about the slimmer model with the detachable disc drive.

And probably the PS5 Pro as well.

24 Jun 2022
Price drop to $399 would be some serious judo move when xbox have raised it.

I mean PS5 Digital is already $399 here in the US. This new model is basically same as old but you "make" a physical PS5 by adding the detachable disc drive to a digital one.

It's mainly a change to simplify & streamline production logistics on Sony's end.

It's not a Slim, it's the detachable disk drive model and will not come with a price drop

Yeah, I'm expecting the actual size to be roughly similar to the current model. Though if it's a bit smaller and has a different look to it in ways, that would be interesting.

Whether there's a price drop, I guess depends on which region you're in. The systems are still $399/$499 here in America, I'm expecting it to stay that way. In places where they increased the price, guess there's a 50/50 chance they bring them back down to the $399/$499 equivalents with this new model.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
doesn't Sony anticipate this too?

I mean PS5 Digital is already $399 here in the US. This new model is basically same as old but you "make" a physical PS5 by adding the detachable disc drive to a digital one.

It's mainly a change to simplify & streamline production logistics on Sony's end.

Yeah, I'm expecting the actual size to be roughly similar to the current model. Though if it's a bit smaller and has a different look to it in ways, that would be interesting.

Whether there's a price drop, I guess depends on which region you're in. The systems are still $399/$499 here in America, I'm expecting it to stay that way. In places where they increased the price, guess there's a 50/50 chance they bring them back down to the $399/$499 equivalents with this new model.
I will not comment on the chances of a price drop, but I know that a storage upgrade would make sense because SSDs are much cheaper now that they have been before.

This or they add slightly more expensive SKUs with 1.6 to 2TB of storage.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
It's not a Slim, it's the detachable disk drive model and will not come with a price drop

It’s a slim and it will be cheaper looking at historical PS revisions.

More like an attachable drive.

Simply add a drive to the PS5 and you have a physical PS5 SKU.

All we will see for the digital PS5 is an empty disk drive bay.

I highly doubt you will be able to buy the drive separately in stores.

This is simply a case to help Sony produce more PS5s and lowering costs.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
A unified $400 PS5 will do wonders..

Twist the knife in for Black Friday and Xmas and drop it $350 as well to eviscerate the Series S..

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
A unified $400 PS5 will do wonders..

Twist the knife in for Black Friday and Xmas and drop it $350 as well to eviscerate the Series S..
No, starfield + GP will just crush Sony to death, especially if they have another show with all those CGI trailers that people only notice in Sony's shows.

Reactions: Johnic

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
No, starfield + GP will just crush Sony to death, especially if they have another show with all those CGI trailers that people only notice in Sony's shows.
Ah yes of course. Totally forgot about the most important game of the generation that will magically turn the tides and make everyone come running to Xbox lol.

But seriously if Sony plays their cards right they have this fall in the bag.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It’s a slim and it will be cheaper looking at historical PS revisions.

More like an attachable drive.

Simply add a drive to the PS5 and you have a physical PS5 SKU.

All we will see for the digital PS5 is an empty disk drive bay.

I highly doubt you will be able to buy the drive separately in stores.

This is simply a case to help Sony produce more PS5s and lowering costs.
Wrong on all accounts according to the person who actually leaked this info.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
PS5 is set.

It makes way more sense than PS5 Pro imo.
Not if you can release a cheaper to make,lower temperatures/power consumption and most importantly lower priced sku.

Pro is next yearish.

I'm aiming for both.

$450 with Drive|$400 without

$550-$600 for the Pro.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Not if you can release a cheaper to make,lower temperatures/power consumption and most importantly lower priced sku.

Pro is next yearish.

I'm aiming for both.

$450 with Drive|$400 without

$550-$600 for the Pro.
There is no way a pro is touching $600.

It's gonna be $499

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Yes please, I won't buy PS5 till Slim version is out, although I'm not sure the price will be $399 since the current $499 price still selling gangbuster LMAO.