Microsoft Business Update Podcast | OT | SEGABOX - 12 PM PT | 3 PM ET | 8PM GMT

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I don't get the celebration of Xbox potentially exiting the console market. I get not being a fan, but less competition is a bad thing.
On a personal level, I am a gamer who enjoys games like the Fallout series; Microsoft did the dirty on me by buying up a beloved franchise of mine and then wanted to make their games exclusive on their system, thus robbing me of future franchises that I have supported for years.

Am I meant to say "Thanks Phill"

Am I really meant to care about competition when the guy is basically robbing me right in my face?

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
PlayStation released their titles on PC and created the new PlayStation Plus Service in response to Game Pass and Play Anywhere. I don't think we would have God of War on PC if it wasn't for Xbox abandoning console exclusives.
Imagine thinking that the push of subscriptions like these is a good thing...

BTW Sony already did Cross-Buy for games across PS3, PSVita and PS4 long before "Play Anywhere" ever existed. Business as usual, MS using controlled media to re-write history and gaslight people.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
i don't really care about physical media but I would think this is the way Sony would go as well in the future?
Kinda feels like how they did the slim revision with the detachable disc drive is them testing the waters on that future.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Sircaw

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not all competition benefits consumers.
A competitor that works to attract consumers by proposing a quality product is, of course, always desired.
Competitors who are driven by quality encourage quality in the industry as a whole.

But since Microsoft entered the console market, the following happened:

- Online multiplayer paywall became normalized.
- Drive to digital only, harming legacy games conservation.
- Drive to the bottom in terms of aggressive microtransatctions and nickel-and-diming costumers. MS heavily promoted and were the ones who encouraged Todd Howard to introduce the infamous "horse armour" that started everything.
- Drive to the bottom in terms of games quality due to an obsession of copying the Netflix business model. The proliferation of this subscription craze (that in fact circles back to the first item in this list) has led to a contraction of the games industry.
- Pursuing anti-consumer consolidation by acquiring third-party publishers wholesale with an obvious intent of starving the competition of content.

This company not only directly harmed consumers, it also influenced their competitors to follow suit in the worst possible ways.
If it wasn't for nearly a decade of propaganda shoved down people's throats that it's ok to pay a second rent just to be able to use your internet to play games online, Sony and Nintendo would have never dared to start charging for online multiplayer.

No, not all competition is good. Microsoft would not be missed if they were to leave. Anything but that disgusting corporation.
michael fassbender perfection GIF

Bookmarked this post to use in the future to scare away green rats.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Helldivers! We have an automatons infestation on planet Ex-Box. Unleash all the Nuke stratagems on these mindless drones and cleanse the galaxy!!!

Video Game Fire GIF by Naughty Dog

Reactions: Gamernyc78