Microsoft claims it can get Call of Duty Warzone and MW2 running natively on Switch

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
cod-switch-1280x720-1-1024x576.jpg

Microsoft claims that because Warzone “[supports] PC hardware with GPU cards that were released as far back as 2015,” there’s no reason it couldn’t optimise the 200-player battle royale work on Nintendo Switch.

“The Activision development team has a long history of optimizing game performance for available hardware capabilities

Microsoft goes on to claim that since “the game engine that powers Warzone is mature and has been optimized to run on a wide range of hardware devices (ranging from the Xbox One console released in 2015 up to the Xbox Series X),” it could be altered to run on the Nintendo Switch, which was released in 2017.

However, this is a clear error, since the original Xbox One was released in 2013, not 2015, arguably strengthening Microsoft’s point.

Microsoft then cites Apex Legends, Doom Eternal, Fortnite, and Crysis 3 as similar titles that have been successfully ported to Switch using “standard techniques.”

It wrote:

“The Parties are confident that in addition to Warzone, CoD buy-to-play titles (e.g., CoD: Modern Warfare 2) can be optimised to run on the Nintendo Switch in a timely manner using standard techniques which have been used to bring games such as Apex Legends, DOOM Eternal, Fortnite and Crysis 3 to the Switch.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
So... The Activision development team has said they can't port to the switch due to hardware limitations, but Microsoft, whose studios can't release a marquee franchise with substantial improvements over last-gen efforts (Halo Infinite) says they can?

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
A native switch version would have to look like an early PS3 game in order to maybe hit 60 fps. I wonder if ABK attempts to get their devs to hack together a switch port to show regulators over the coming weeks, lmao.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I mean the call of duty I played on WiiU didn’t look horrible and Switch is around that level of processing power, but a bit more efficient. But we all know what this is about.

I’m be more concerned about the file size.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I mean the call of duty I played on WiiU didn’t look horrible and Switch is around that level of processing power, but a bit more efficient. But we all know what this is about.

Nah mate. If we go by flops alone, the WiiU had ~350 gigaflops, while the Switch has ~1 teraflop. The switch is as powerful as a modern toaster, but even if we ignore teraflops, it's way more powerful. The WiiU is an evolved Wii in a portable form factor.

• haha
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Zzero and Entropi

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Nah mate. If we go by flops alone, the WiiU had ~350 gigaflops, while the Switch has ~1 teraflop. The switch is as powerful as a modern toaster, but even if we ignore teraflops, it's way more powerful. The WiiU is an evolved Wii in a portable form factor.
Switch is definitely a lot stronger than a Wiiu, but I doubt it could offer the same native experience on a game like COD as the PS5 or Series X. Even with a hypothetical Switch 2 closing the hardware gap some, what happens when things shift over to the PS6 and next Xbox?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Switch is definitely a lot stronger than a Wiiu, but I doubt it could offer the same native experience on a game like COD as the PS5 or Series X. Even with a hypothetical Switch 2 closing the hardware gap some, what happens when things shift over to the PS6 and next Xbox?

Yeah, you can't. You could probably do it for single player, even if at 30fps, but not in a cooperative fashion with feature parity. People comparing it to Apex or Fortnite are out of their mind.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They might make it run but it will never fit on any cartridge. You also need to install both MWII and Warzone. It's not standalone.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
No worries, they will have to reduce texture, polygon, etc. so much that the file size will be cut quite a bit.
They might make it run but it will never fit on any cartridge. You also need to install both MWII and Warzone. It's not standalone.
I don't think that they signed themselves into shipping a physical version.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023

That’s better than I thought. I don’t see any issues running CoD on a Switch, albeit, scaled the fuck down.

Let’s see if Switch only users even care for CoD.