Microsoft targeting next Xbox for 2028, court docs show

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
1695047049191.jpg

Microsoft executives expected in spring 2022 to launch the next Xbox console in 2028, and were considering a more flexible approach to its gaming hardware, according to an internal chat log released as part of the Federal Trade Commission's lawsuit to block Microsoft's purchase of Activision.

Driving the news: The 2028 launch plan was referenced in a May 2022 meeting among more than a dozen senior Microsoft executives attended by CEO Satya Nadella, CFO Amy Hood, and head of gaming Phil Spencer, among others, according to the document.
  • In a brief chat exchange, a non-Xbox executive asked the gaming leadership team whether the next Xbox will veer from the traditional model of consoles having fixed hardware standards that all game makers develop for.
What they're saying: "One of the things consoles have been really great at is giving a very clear platform target for developers, and [Game Development Kit] has been really good at this," Anuj Gosalia, corporate vice president of immersive experiences, wrote in the chat at one point.

• "Is the plan for 2028 to keep that [illegible] like model or force a Windows like flexible/capabilities like model?"
  • "We have already started this journey with Xbox One and Xbox One X, furthering it in Series S | X," Kevin Gammill, corporate vice president of gaming ecosystems, replies, referring to Microsoft's experimentation with different-powered Xbox models in recent console generations.

• Shake
Reactions: Entropi
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
This is old news lol it's funny because Phil Spencer said this right after that leaked email to Jim ryan came out that was talking about all activision games remaining on playstation through to December 31st 2027 meaning as soon as we release our next console in 2028 we're cutting playstation off & all the casuals will buy our console for cod & not buy PlayStations so our dream of killing playstation comes true 😂

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

DeadPGN

8 May 2023
This is old news lol it's funny because Phil Spencer said this right after that leaked email to Jim ryan came out that was talking about all activision games remaining on playstation through to December 31st 2027 meaning as soon as we release our next console in 2028 we're cutting playstation off & all the casuals will buy our console for cod & not buy PlayStations so our dream of killing playstation comes true 😂
I think you’re in for a big surprise if you think COD being exclusive to Xbox is going to kill PS.
Plus, once the deal goes through, it will 10 years from that date when COD goes exclusive to Xbox. So your wrong on multiple counts.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
We heard they assumed PS6 was 2028, but now they also want to go for 2028?

The series S ain’t surviving that long.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I think you’re in for a big surprise if you think COD being exclusive to Xbox is going to kill PS.
Plus, once the deal goes through, it will 10 years from that date when COD goes exclusive to Xbox. So your wrong on multiple counts.
I didn't say I think that 😂 you can clearly see I'm talking from Microsoft / Xbox / Phil's Spencers perspective & yeah that's under the deal that was later offered to them , if you look at the initial emails from Phil Spencer & jim ryan it says 'through to December 31st 2027'

DeadPGN

8 May 2023
I didn't say I think that 😂 you can clearly see I'm talking from Microsoft / Xbox / Phil's Spencers perspective & yeah that's under the deal that was later offered to them , if you look at the initial emails from Phil Spencer & jim ryan it says 'through to December 31st 2027'
Oh right so you were laughing at Phil Spencer’s initial plan to time the exclusivity with the launch of the new SKU? Got it, my bad, but tbf it wasn’t very clear 😅

Banana

10 Jan 2023
They need to go back to 5 year gens since everything is iterative now.

Next xbox and PS6 in 2025.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Seems like they are making cheap console and marketing cloud compute bullshit.
At the end they will just build a backward compatible console and real next gen games will be streamed through cloud.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Seems like they are making cheap console and marketing cloud compute bullshit.
At the end they will just build a backward compatible console and real next gen games will be streamed through cloud.
Yeah, it's same talk from ten years ago. They don't learn but you know the fans will drool over it and than make excuses when it doesn't full fill it's promises.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, it's same talk from ten years ago. They don't learn but you know the fans will drool over it and than make excuses when it doesn't full fill it's promises.
They will keep telling us how PS6 is last gen because it doesn't have "Hybrid Compute" 😂
But it's clear that Microsoft just admitted that series S is 75% of their sales this gen. This means Microsoft is planning for a next gen Series S only. No more high end hardware. The Hybrid bullshit is for the cope

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I do think there are significant benefits in switching to ARM. That being said, I can’t wait to see how MS funks that up and Cerny outsmarts every one of their ‘engineers’

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman