Microsoft: Xbox mid-gen refresh devices (FTC documents "leak")

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Phil Spencer expects the majority of their users to NOT be on their platform by 2027. Not kidding, it's in the leaked emails.
That was a callout to their ambitions in mobile and cross-platform (the samsung tv shit) and getting people to buy gamepass on devices they don't control

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Pure Xbox with the stupid takes thinking a $500 version of the same console without a disk drive will suddenly make the split between series S & X more even 🤣🤣View attachment 2330
You know he doesn't actually believe that. The disk drive costs like ten bux, taking it out is to drive the switch to digital. Maybe he means the "good deal" on the extra tb but I don't think that will sway public opinion like he does and doubt it will have a price drop.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
It's going to make both consoles sell even less. Ask that dude what the ratio of Series S:X is if they're both 0:0
The series S will now be $350 once they phase out the launch model & people cheer on the price increase because of a bit of extra storage 3 years after launch & the series X will be $500 with no disk drive 3 years after launch & they still like to pretend they're consumer friendly 🤣

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The series S will now be $350 once they phase out the launch model & people cheer on the price increase because of a bit of extra storage 3 years after launch & the series X will be $500 with no disk drive 3 years after launch & they still like to pretend they're consumer friendly 🤣
But Xbox isn't ARROGANT like that stinky, no-good Sony!

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The fact it says 'I don't miss my disk drive at all' confirms there will be no optional drive this will be there new model they will phase out the one with a disk drive & there dreams of the Xbox one always online DRM will be realised
Most of their sales are the Series S anyway, with so few machines equipped with the drive in their ecosystem there is no reason for them to keep selling a Series X with a drive inside.

Obviously, if they still want to play the pro-consumer\gamer angle that does not fly.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: KiryuRealty
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Most of their sales are the Series S anyway, with so few machines equipped with the drive in their ecosystem there is no reason for them to keep selling a Series X with a drive inside.

Obviously, if they still want to play the pro-consumer\gamer angle that does not fly.
If there console ends up with no disk drive that will mean any Bethesda / Activision games they publish in the future that end up being multiplat (yeah probably none except live service always online crap) wont have physical versions because they wouldn't do physical versions for otter consoles when there's doesn't have any

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
If there console ends up with no disk drive that will mean any Bethesda / Activision games they publish in the future that end up being multiplat (yeah probably none except live service always online crap) wont have physical versions because they wouldn't do physical versions for otter consoles when there's doesn't have any
They won't have disc's but they will go the Sony route for physical collector edition bundles.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
few notes that furiously anger me. Only 2 points. Somehow tell me I am not totally crazy?

-Tons and tons and tons of people on the internet repeating the same bs "physical is dead, lol old tech" and championing death of physical. Fools are championing getting fucked from behind and I don't understand that. Console digital stores are a nightmare. no key resellers, no shops, no choice at all. On pc you have key sellers and you access your files. The disc on ps5 was/is the LAST form of ownership we have. I can play elden ring 1.0 and kill radahn 1.0 IF I WANT. I can patch the game and play offline if I want... and it's all cheaper. CHOICE CHOICE CHOICE.... And it's incredibly infuriating seeing tons of people downvote my reddit posts or seeing other people argu against physical, pro digital... like if existance of discs somehow made their digital purchases wore. The truth is, fools are seeking validation in their digital life choice.

-Another thing - New xbox controller will have "rechargable battery". Supposedly it is some sort of custom battery back that you can replace and charge within controller. AND FUCKING FOOLS KEEP CHAMPIONING IT !!!!!!! But that is WORSE thn current solution on xbox controllers. The excellent batter door RIGHT NOW allows you do use AA, rechargable AA or play'n'charge kit. You have all options. ... and the new solution will replace this with some fucking stupid custom battery pack that you will not be able to find new one in few years. Still better than fully built-in dualsense battery honestly...

edit: yeah, I know I barely post nowadays and come out of the woodworks like some psycho :p

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
There isn't anything psycho about reacting negatively and being outraged about MS's march towards erasing physical media in the console space and their negative and undue influence in this industry. MS has a legion of astroturfers working for them on the net and social media, on top of their crazy fanboys who are as dumb as a rock - but that is often the case for any fanboy, regardless of allegiance.

Remember, coming freshly off a massive consumer rebuttal of their always-online, physical media DRM for Xbox One, Philochio Spencer, on the record said, "It's a perception management problem". That's double speak for, "We, MS, are going to get our way one way or another. The problem is how we get to kill physical media without the consumer noticing, and bitching, not the policy intent being wrong". Fast forward to today.... and the clear answer to their strategy has been the slow rollout of digital-only consoles, presented at first as a choice of hardware, with digital-only having hardware cost "savings" ($50 at best), to sit along consoles with disc drives - and "we", meaning MS, let consumers "decide". Today they're moving one step forward, phasing out physical completely from their offerings by the end of this gen, and surprise, the "savings" on digital is gone too.

MS is a disgusting cancer in gaming, period.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
That new XB controller looks fucking awful, just a strip line of white in between the black padding, the color balance/visual of it is all fucked up.

Someone tell me it's a mockup and it won't actually look like that?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Portable-300ML-Air-Humidifier-Aroma-Essential-Oil-Diffuser-with-Romantic-Lamp-USB-Mist-Maker-Aromatherapy-Humidifiers.jpg
Whatever these things are, they look better than XB codename Brooklyn for damn sure.

• haha

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

But Microsoft IS pro-consumer, and we have always been at war with Eastasia!

• haha