Microsoft: Xbox mid-gen refresh devices (FTC documents "leak")

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
The specs slide clearly say 12TF, so they didn't activate any more CUs nor did they increase the clocks.
I'm not sure they could, either. They disabled one WGP per shader engine and I don't know if the work schedulers would work with asymmetrical engines.
PS5 pro vs whatever that is.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
One would hope, but never underestimate MS’ willingness to threaten retailers with things like pulling Surface products and MS accessories for PC if they drop Xbox.
I considered that but aren't those products some of the worst selling in their respective markets? They'd be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I considered that but aren't those products some of the worst selling in their respective markets? They'd be cutting off their nose to spite their face.
A lot of retailers are very weak that way. A major brand, even one that’s a shitty, toxic partner in every way, can usually get whatever they want because the buyers and decision-makers don’t want their stores to miss out on a potential big product.

Shit, why do you think places like CompUSA carried Xbox even though they’d never stocked any consoles before?

HINT: MS actually threatened to cut off shipments of Windows XP to retailers who didn’t bring in Xbox at launch.

D

Deleted member 223

A discless Xbox is no worse for gaming than an Xbox with a disc drive.

They’re both cancer in plastic and silicon form.

One is terminal, late stage cancer (full digital), and the other is not (physical media). There are degree's to this cancer, and we're getting awfully close to the worst of it yet.

======= Sidenote:

J51vS44.jpg

Look at all the pre-packaged marketing talking points already. When the drones online repeat it verbatim in the future, just take a step back for a moment to marvel at the social-engineering taking place, and how pervasive and manipulative it's. And once you grasp how fucked up it's, you will never go back to being a happy sheep.

"awesome NEW haptics" - not just haptics, but NEW. The word new was chosen there to give the appearance of innovation, as opposed to copying.

"Rechargeable battery" - the turntables. You will never see a console war waged fiercely for batteries ever again. Trust and believe.

"Cloud".... of course it has to have a name drop even on a fucking controller. It's there for mind-share management, to condition and predispose the consumer to become familiar and comfortable with a remote server farm - which is more off putting than a romanticized marketing term as the "cloud". The less inoffensive it seems, and the more you associate it with "good", the better. That's how things go from 0 to "inevitable future". Never forget that and what it means. The consumer has a say. The job of Microsoft is to manipulate the consumer so he believes he had a say in the cloud being the future and that he chose it willingly and of free will without no outside intervention pushing it in and/or making any other alternative look less appealing, out of sight, out of touch, and old.

"Buying digital is as affordable as dics" - BIG ASS FAT LIE! This how they slide their dick into your behind by having the user voluntarily surrender freedom for convenience. Then abusing that power later down the line. Moreover, the used-games physical market can not be beat in value terms, freedom and versatility. Your bought and paid for license in physical media is not tied to a storage drive of a console/pc or server farm (access to which is at the whims of a corp - they set all the rules and change them whenever they feel like it).

"I don't miss my disc drive at all" - opinionated influencer angle type push to top it off. To give physical media the coup d' grace by "popular, people's vote". Naked manipulation. This all about coming full circle to 2013 Xbox with always-online DRM for physical discs. Remember when Phil said the problem was a "perception's management" problem and not the policy itself? Fast forward to 2023-2025, and an all-digital box, is the perception change, reaching the same end goal. Fuck em. If a corp is hellbent on killing physical it's for above all, their own bottomline, not the consumers. It's not done as a favor to the consumer, but to gain leverage on the consumer.

"Xbox really knows me" - I'm sure it does, that telemetry and user data may come in handy if you ever become a real threat to the governance system of the U.S (unlikely for your average Joe). Apart from that however we know that info is being used by strangers to market products at you etc... privacy be dammed in this new age so...whatever. Everybody knows how it's with these devices, not just Xbox.

"Sustainability" - climate change marketing. The most inoffensive of the bunch, and in many ways positive. A few bucks saved in the electric bill is something, even if trying to piggy back on a movement that deals with bigger topics.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Underestimated the ps5 & got their arse handed to them 🤣View attachment 2322

The real eye opener here is Phil Spencer, a guy who coded some things for Microsoft Encarta for a couple of years before taking management positions, tried to call bluff on the technical features exposed by Mark Cerny, a guy who coded videogames for 30 years before becoming Playstation System Architect for over a decade, and whose job was to travel around the world asking developers what they thought their console hardware should be.

And then Digital Foundry decides to repeat Phil Spencer's nonsense.

There's a number of incompetence layers to observe in this.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Underestimated the ps5 & got their arse handed to them 🤣View attachment 2322

Like 99% (exaggeration) of people that watched the presentation, they didn’t understand a thing. The SSD is not only more than 2x the raw speed; the whole I/O custom silicon makes it even higher.

No amount of software-based sampler feedback, or whatever fancy words they use, will make it close.

But hey, a console design by an engineer for developers vs a console designed by MBAs for the board.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
"awesome NEW haptics" - not just haptics, but NEW. The word new was chosen there to give the appearance of innovation, as opposed to copying.

"Rechargeable battery" - the turntables. You will never see a console war waged fiercely for batteries ever again. Trust and believe.
Both of those are fantastic: they literally paid their minions to spread propaganda against those two things, and are now ready to pitch them as the return of Jesus.

"Sustainability" - climate change marketing. The most inoffensive of the bunch, and in many ways positive. A few bucks saved in the electric bill is something.

I hate it when companies green wash shit. They don't give two fucks about the environment, and try and guilt trip the little guy to somehow think he can make a difference.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
One is terminal, late stage cancer (full digital), and the other is not (physical media). There are degree's to this cancer, and we're getting awfully close to the worst of it yet.

======= Sidenote:

J51vS44.jpg

Look at all the pre-packaged marketing talking points already. When the drones online repeat it verbatim in the future, just take a step back for a moment to marvel at the social-engineering taking place, and how pervasive and manipulative it's. And once you grasp how fucked up it's, you will never go back to being a happy sheep.

"Cloud".... of course it has to have a name drop even on a fucking controller. It's there for mind-share management, to condition and predisposite the consumer to become familiar and comfortable with a remote server farm - which is more off putting than a romanticized marketing term as the "cloud". The less inofensive it seems, and the more you associate it with "good", the better. That's how things go from 0 to "inevitable future". Never forget that and what it means. The consumer has a say. The job of Microsoft is to manipulate the consumer so he believes he had a say in the cloud being the future and that he chose it willingly and of free will without no outside intervention pushing it in and/or making any other alternative look less appealing, out of sight, out of touch, and old.

"Buying digital is as affordable as dics" - BIG ASS FAT LIE! This how they slide their dick into your behind by having the user voluntarily surrender freedom for convenience. Then abusing that power later down the line. Moreover, the used-games physical market can not be beat in value terms, freedom and versatility. Your bought and paid for license in physical media is not tied to a storage drive of a console/pc or server farm (access to which is at the whims of a corp - they set the all the rules and change them whenever they feel like it).

"I don't miss my disc drive at all" - opinionated influencer angle type push to top it off. To give physical media the coup d' grace by "popular, people's vote". Naked manipulation.

"Xbox really knows me" - I'm sure it does, that telemetry and user data may come in handy if you ever become a real threat to the governance system of the U.S (unlikely for your average Joe). Apart from that however we know that info is being used by strangers to market products at you etc... privacy be dammed in this new age so...whatever. Everybody knows how it's with these devices, not just Xbox.

"Sustainability" - climate change marketing. The most inoffensive of the bunch, and in many ways positive. A few bucks saved in the electric bill is something, even if trying to piggy back on a movement that deals with bigger topics.
'the voice of the player' they must only be talking about the brain-dead Xbox players because that certainly ain't my voice 🤣

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

======= Sidenote:

J51vS44.jpg

"Cloud".... of course it has to have a name drop even on a fucking controller. It's there for mind-share management, to condition and predisposite the consumer to become familiar and comfortable with a remote server farm - which is more off putting than a romanticized marketing term as the "cloud". The less inofensive it seems, and the more you associate it with "good", the better. That's how things go from 0 to "inevitable future". Never forget that and what it means. The consumer has a say. The job of Microsoft is to manipulate the consumer so he believes he had a say in the cloud being the future and that he chose it willingly and of free will without no outside intervention pushing it in and/or making any other alternative look less appealing, out of sight, out of touch, and old.

"Buying digital is as affordable as dics" - BIG ASS FAT LIE! This how they slide their dick into your behind by having the user voluntarily surrender freedom for convenience. Then abusing that power later down the line. Moreover, the used-games physical market can not be beat in value terms, freedom and versatility. Your bought and paid for license in physical media is not tied to a storage drive of a console/pc or server farm (access to which is at the whims of a corp - they set the all the rules and change them whenever they feel like it).

"I don't miss my disc drive at all" - opinionated influencer angle type push to top it off. To give physical media the coup d' grace by "popular, people's vote". Naked manipulation.

The fact it says 'I don't miss my disk drive at all' confirms there will be no optional drive this will be there new model they will phase out the one with a disk drive & there dreams of the Xbox one always online DRM will be realised

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
The real eye opener here is Phil Spencer, a guy who coded some things for Microsoft Encarta for a couple of years before taking management positions, tried to call bluff on the technical features exposed by Mark Cerny, a guy who coded videogames for 30 years before becoming Playstation System Architect for over a decade, and whose job was to travel around the world asking developers what they thought their console hardware should be.

And then Digital Foundry decides to repeat Phil Spencer's nonsense.

There's a number of incompetence layers to observe in this.
Phil Spencer thinks he's a genius 🤣

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The disc driveless console also goes to show that they're looking to imprison users in their ecosystem. Once you buy a game, that's where your library is. Hinted at in Phil Spencer's "we lost the worst generation to lose" - he thinks that if your library is all digital, you won't switch ecosystems because you can't sell or trade in your games to start a new library. What a scumbag.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
The disc driveless console also goes to show that they're looking to imprison users in their ecosystem. Once you buy a game, that's where your library is. Hinted at in Phil Spencer's "we lost the worst generation to lose" - he thinks that if your library is all digital, you won't switch ecosystems because you can't sell or trade in your games to start a new library. What a scumbag.
Phil Spencer expects the majority of their users to NOT be on their platform by 2027. Not kidding, it's in the leaked emails.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly