Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
It's still early. They removed the console SLC friday, they might remove the Cloud SLC next week if they feel it's not strong enough by itself.

Really dumb of them to do a complete 180 when MS is hoarding all the biggest IPs for the cloud future. Phil admit it as soon as the deal was announced.

If they where gonna remove the cloud SLC I would have thought they would have waited to remove it alongside the console SLC.

That would make sense right? That way they don't go through the embarrassment of updating their PF twice, an ex CMA lawyer even said that CMA changing their pf was a very rare thing for them to do, but then having to do is twice would be even more rare. Also cma removing it was due to the response they got from Microsoft, so clearly whatever response they got wasn't enough to remove the cloud SLC.

Anyways let's see what they do, I always thought everyone knew that CMAs cloud argument was their strongest due to the marketshare microsoft have in that area and the fact that they own azure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

What if we’re missing the forest through the trees here and Microsoft is shifting to mobile like they’ve been saying? Remember how at gdc there was a blank spot for a new console last week? What if that’s a cell phone ? Like this whole time we’re arguing from a console war perspective but what if Microsoft really is dropping the hardware in the future and wants to become this mobile publisher? They’re already bleeding tons of money on Xbox hardware and are slashing prices 3 years in just to remain barely relativent. Liar Phil has claimed that gamepass is stagnant which I do believe, and software sales have fallen off a a cliff. Maybe we’re all freaking out over nothing?
People are freaking out for nothing.

There are 3 competing markets; Handheld, Traditional consoles and Cloud gaming. Microsoft are carving out the path to own cloud gaming, which isn't an issue. Sony don't freak out with Nintendo selling 100 million handhelds, and vice versa when Sony sell 100 million consoles.

Subscriptions, play anywhere on anything and streaming will be the arena for Cloud gaming and will have little to no impact on Sony, Nintendo or PC. It's a new market.

• brain
Reactions: laynelane

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
It's still early. They removed the console SLC friday, they might remove the Cloud SLC next week if they feel it's not strong enough by itself.

Really dumb of them to do a complete 180 when MS is hoarding all the biggest IPs for the cloud future. Phil admit it as soon as the deal was announced.
All of us are new to this process and it could be completely normal that they continue updating their view based on the latest numbers they have received. If Sony finds a flaw in the new numbers they are working with or can provide another more accurate method of the value Microsoft can generate with a foreclosure strategy and CMA will need to review agakn

I think Sony also needs to address the CMAs assertion that Microsoft won't foreclose by illustrating the billions that Zenimax Bethesda have already made on PlayStation platforms that have been actively sacrificed

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Personally I don't see how they can still insist on divestment when the console SLC concerns have been removed, because these other platforms (Switch) and services (GeForce NOW, Boosteroid, etc.) that MS are offering 10-year COD deals to, don't have any significant reliance on COD revenue in the first place. And for most of them I expect that to remain that way for the 10 years.

To my knowledge Microsoft have not hinted at foreclosure strategies with COD on these other platforms & services like they clearly have with Sony/PlayStation, which the CMA don't seem to see as an issue. That would suggest Microsoft's foreclosure strategy was only aimed at platforms they felt were a clear threat to them channeling future peak revenue through their own console and service ecosystem, at platforms most direct in competition with Xbox, and the only platform fitting that bill is PlayStation.

Microsoft could probably just argue that they don't see divestment as an option because they would have "no incentive" to remove access of COD from other cloud providers and platforms taking the deal because, if you look at these companies, they are either in VERY different console gaming segments than them (Nintendo), or rely on users purchasing COD anyway to leverage the features of the service (Nvidia), or are so small in users & scale that they will never seriously threaten Game Pass & xCloud for revenue & market share (Boosteroid, etc.). Of course Microsoft won't mention those specifics, but any average person can arrive at those conclusions.

Why remove COD cloud access from some rinky-dink cloud streaming service with 4 million (if that) total subscribers if you know that service can't pair the offering with native versions of the game like Game Pass & xCloud can, don't have a company the size of Microsoft backing & funding that service, don't have all the other complementing 1P software in their service the way Microsoft does, and don't have vertical integration with gaming hardware like their own console brand? Let alone probably won't have the subscriber perks the way users of Game Pass & xCloud would? There's nothing to fear from such a rinky-dink service so yeah, make a 10-year offer, throw them a cheap renewal after that if they want it.

Where it could get interesting is if the CMA focus on mobile storefronts, because Microsoft hasn't made any offers for COD into Google Play or Apple Arcade, have they? They've already revealed they want their own mobile storefront; they've been salivating for regulators to force companies like Apple to open up their devices so that companies like Microsoft can offer their own mobile storefronts free of charge. Well, if Microsoft wants to make this content available to more people, when are they going to offer at least a 10-year deal for Google and Apple's own mobile storefronts?

I can see that being what the CMA shift to in order to insist on divestiture, and I don't think Microsoft would easily stomach (or stomach at all) making such offers for places that are going to be direct competitors for their planned mobile storefront. So if it comes down to that, they could still be forced to divest COD & associated studios, or the deal gets blocked, or Microsoft walks away from the deal altogether.

Personally I don't think any of this makes up for them dropping virtually all of the console SLC concerns, that was still pretty short-sighted of them IMHO, but I guess there's still a very huge hurdle Microsoft may be forced to confront here just in terms of cloud or possible mobile storefront concerns. If the mobile storefront stuff never once comes up though, then these regulators (goes for all of them) will officially forever be jokes in my eyes.

Would be a hell of a development. Although it doesn't completely absolve the console side of things (it's not like they're going to suddenly cancel Xbox if they were to suddenly release a cell phone), and it doesn't change the fact their "hardware-agnostic" strategy still involves having hardware directly competing against competitors in specific market segments (Sony via through Xbox, potentially Apple & Google via through a phone, even though they also want their mobile storefront ON Apple & Google devices rent-free)...it's interesting to consider.

The problem I have in believing MS shifting to mobile means an end to their consoles, is that they have the money to absorb any Xbox losses, as the business currently operates, and have shown they can do this for 20+ years with little impact on the company as a whole. These acquisitions will have at least SOME positive effect on the Xbox side of things, so if MS can easily absorb and justify any losses, what incentive do they have to drop Xbox?

What I personally thought, was that maybe they would turn Xbox into a PC-like gaming NUC line, and shift it off the traditional console business model altogether. I think that's the only scenario where you can have Microsoft make a "real" pivot to mobile, still keep Xbox around, and where none of this seriously impacts PlayStation long-term because at that point Microsoft have a stronger incentive to make the content available, truly available, on as many devices that can run it, which would obviously also include PlayStation. Sony probably wouldn't still be able to get marketing deals for stuff like COD but getting COD, most other ABK games, Zenimax and XGS games Day 1 (outside of exceptions like Age of Empires, Flight Sim etc. which always seem to prioritize PC first) would make up for that.
I’m not suggesting Microsoft create their own phone again, I’m suggesting they’ll have like a Samsung phone with their concept of this mobile store front. I think they’ll stick with Xbox consoles at least for this generation but as time movies on that’s ultimately where they want to be.

24 Jun 2022
Well CMA are still insisting on divestiture based on the cloud SLC. I feel like so many people aren't reading the updated provisional findings where all of this is stated.

If CMA didn't feel like the cloud SLC wasn't enough for a divestiture you don't think they would have removed that from the PF? Why would they leave it on their as a joke? So they can have more egg on their face when they have to update to remove it....

Geforce now and boosteroid are byog providers Microsoft have yet to make a deal for non deal byog providers like playstation. 10 year+ is very important as cloud is a growing market, and handing over that much power over to Microsoft this early could hurt future and present cloud competitors. Now whether CMA hold onto what they want who knows

Well, FWIW they did offer a 10-year deal to Nintendo, but I get you mean in the sense of cloud providers who also have their own storefront to sell a copy of COD to for their customer base, of whom Microsoft haven't provided any such offer to, as you said.

Although I partly wonder if Microsoft try going in with Nintendo on a cloud partnership with Azure, similar to they have with Sega, and try using that to say to the CMA "nuh-uh, see!! We'll give deals to cloud providers who can also sell the game on their own storefront, too!", conveniently ignoring that Nintendo is specifically using their own Azure tech for that hypothetical cloud network, Azure of course being owned by Microsoft.

I'm a bit concerned Microsoft might try, if the fact these cloud providers they're making offers to operate on a BYOG model, Microsoft will try saying those cloud providers are appealing to customers who don't have to buy from Microsoft's Windows storefront, because it's most likely they'd buy the game on Steam if they're on PC. And that would probably work as an argument for the CMA to believe.

Hell, they might even dig up the fact Boosteroid already offered COD before the MS deal, albeit without MS's legal consent. Though that would work against Microsoft because the CMA could reference that when MS realized Nvidia were providing access to MS PC games and Microsoft wasn't getting a cut, they promptly removed all support for GeForce NOW. The only reason they are even making these offers to companies like Nvidia is because Microsoft are now getting some kind of payment exchange for allowing these companies to provide cloud access to content they're looking to own.

There are 3 competing markets; Handheld, Traditional consoles and Cloud gaming. Microsoft are carving out the path to own cloud gaming, which isn't an issue. Sony don't freak out with Nintendo selling 100 million handhelds, and vice versa when Sony sell 100 million consoles.

Subscriptions, play anywhere on anything and streaming will be the arena for Cloud gaming and will have little to no impact on Sony, Nintendo or PC. It's a new market.

I don't quite agree with that, at least when it comes to Sony. Microsoft's play for the subscriptions and cloud gaming markets is to acquire gaming content that has built up its revenue worth and reputation not just in console gaming, but particularly have done so for the past several years through the strength of the PlayStation console brand.

Regulators like the CMA have already expressed that partial foreclosure isn't a concern on the console side of things, they have also expressed that MS making games like RedFall and even Starfield Xbox console-exclusive are of no concern, either. But in absolute terms, those are now two less games/IP for PlayStation, and now Zenimax is one less 3P publisher (of a wide 3P developer suite) Sony can turn to in order to sign exclusivity deals, enter marketing agreements, or even co-fund and co-develop on joint efforts.

If Microsoft's growth strategy in game subscriptions and mobile were truly focused on just those markets, they would not need to purchase 3P publishers who are very well associated and owe much of their brand strength and revenue flow to console gaming for, and in that regard owe a lot to Sony for. So their strategy is already having an impact on Sony because it's constricting the amount of large 3P publishers they can independently work with as a platform holder. Saying this strategy has no impact on them just kind of gives a blanket for them to make other 3P acquisitions that they may say are mainly for "Game Pass and mobile" but just also happen to conveniently remove more big 3P publishers & developers from Sony to be able to work with as a platform holder, be it Take-Two, Capcom, Sega, CDPR, Ubisoft, EA etc.

It's not like Microsoft doesn't have the money to make those purchases, either, and they'll probably at least try and go for at least one more notable 3P publisher (probably a Japanese one). Even if they don't, they are now laying the blueprint that other Big Tech companies can leverage for gaming acquisitions of their own, and that still negatively affects Sony unless they get really cozy with one of those other Big Tech companies (and the only one I can really see that happening with is Google, but Google doesn't seem they would be interested in making gaming acquisitions after Stadia's failure).

I don't buy the idea that the three competing markets you mention don't have an overlap because at least for cloud gaming/subscriptions, the one company pushing for that market is relying on buying publishers & developers with VERY strong history in the traditional console market to do so, so they're effectively trying to kill two birds with one stone (constrict Sony in what 3P partners they can independently work with; attack Apple, Google and gain solidified majority presence in cloud/subscription before many others even have a chance to try). Microsoft are disproving that those markets are mutually exclusive, at least with their strategy, and if other companies with a focus on cloud/subscriptions and presence in mobile go after similar 3P publishers as MS to compete, then that's just even more disproving of the mutual exclusivity theory.

I’m not suggesting Microsoft create their own phone again, I’m suggesting they’ll have like a Samsung phone with their concept of this mobile store front. I think they’ll stick with Xbox consoles at least for this generation but as time movies on that’s ultimately where they want to be.

Oh okay, I see what you are saying now.

Well, in that case I don't know if that really washes away any concerns in regards to this MS strategy for Sony, because Xbox is still in the picture and more importantly still as a traditional console, so it's priced in a way to directly compete with PlayStation. MS have no problem, IMO, with just eating up whatever losses Xbox would take operating in perpetuity as a traditional console if it means they can whittle away at PlayStation and Sony, and Xbox can benefit from these acquisitions in due time.

Especially if, let's say, they do that partnership with Samsung you mention, and push their mobile store with them on a new phone that's maybe "built" for cloud gaming and "acceptable" native gaming of some offerings through the mobile store (if that hypothetical phone is Steam Deck-level powerful it could definitely provide this) and MS & Samsung push the phone heavily with tons of carriers like Verizon, AT&T, Sprint etc.

If that and the mobile storefront blow up into huge successes, and brings in even say $4-5 billion in annual profits (which is probably over 2x more than what Xbox brings in), they won't care about Xbox bringing in meager net profits and probably predict their revenue would increase at least a decent bit from content from acquisitions like Zenimax and ABK. So they'd keep Xbox going because honestly it probably would never get to the XBO's lowest points ever again and the revenue drops the division's seen earlier this year would automatically get reversed just by rolling in ABK's revenue with Xbox's.

So that's why it's still a problem if MS eventually want to "mainly roll" with a mobile solution since it still means they can probably keep Xbox around. Unless they took Xbox off the traditional console business model, of course, and made it something more like a NUC PC gaming brand of devices and not priced to compete with PlayStation (or even Nintendo) as a result. That would require them to do other things though like enable full Windows to run on them and I don't know if MS are comfortable with Xbox owners having the choice to choose Steam over their own Xbox storefront, when they are putting all their 1P games on Steam Day 1.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Well, FWIW they did offer a 10-year deal to Nintendo, but I get you mean in the sense of cloud providers who also have their own storefront to sell a copy of COD to for their customer base, of whom Microsoft haven't provided any such offer to, as you said.
Yeah so 2 types of cloud gaming providers. One like sony where you don't actually buy the game but get it as part of a service from Sony, and second type of cloud game provider like stadia who sells it to you on their own storefront and you can play it through cloud.

Nintendo deal will be an interesting one, what's Microsoft intention of providing cod on nintendos platform, is the deal for a native version or through cloud.

The Nintendo deal also has been known for a very long time, since last year but CMA still persist with the cloud SLC.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Stop. If MS was buying all Nintendo partners like Capcom/Sega/SE and removing their games from Nintendo plataforms hey would also freak out.

CoD, Diablo, TES, Fallout, THPS, Doom, Crash, Overwatch, those are all console games in the end of the day, that sold really well on PlayStation.

Cloud gaming library subscription is stupid because cloud is ment to substitute hardware not software. NVidia of all companies gets it.

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 417
D

Deleted member 417

Stop. If MS was buying all Nintendo partners like Capcom/Sega/SE and removing their games from Nintendo plataforms hey would also freak out.

CoD, Diablo, TES, Fallout, THPS, Doom, Crash, Overwatch, those are all console games in the end of the day, that sold really well on PlayStation.

Cloud gaming library subscription is stupid because cloud is ment to substitute hardware not software. NVidia of all companies gets it.
Is this the next stage of the media attack on Sony? That Sony are now doomed because games are going to Microsoft? I take it you've not being playing games long?

There will be no ps4 (prior to the PS4 Sony received fair criticism)
Sony are bankrupt
PS4 underpowered
PS4 overpriced
There will be no PS5
PS5 is RDNA 1
PS5 has cooling problems
PS5 is too expensive
PSVR2 will fail, not enough games, too expensive, has a cable

I've heard all of the Sony panic articles before and this is no exception.
CoD - was on its' arse and saved only by remaking MW1 and MW2 and turning it into a FtP Battleroyale
Diablo - One of the better games in the line up, won't be removed from Playstation
TES - we won't see TES 6 for at least another 3 years so it isn't on PS5 anyway
Fallout - I'm a massive Fallout fan and the series has been dead since New Vegas
THPS - lol. attempted remake was a disaster
Doom - not a bad shooter, lacks the impact it once had. Any words on a sequel?
Overwatch - Just screwed players with a disastrous attempted at making a sequel to a FtP game

That's before any of those games get give the Lionhead and Rare treatment. Half of the team making PD remake quit, 343 are terrible, Gears is sliding down the shitter even under a competent team, Hellblade is still MIA even though gameplay was release 18 months ago. No Wasteland 4. Redfall is getting negative reviews.

Outside of Outerworld 2 and Starfield, Microsoft have 27 studios, soon to be a lot more, and they have nothing to show for it.

Sony paid $250 million for Insomniac because Microsoft said "No". Bungie went to Acti because Microsoft said no to a sci-fi MMO. Microsoft can own the whole industry, all they are going to do is crash it, because they're out of their depth by letting suits run the show. They have no idea what they're doing.

Cloud services will replace hardware and software because the biggest cloud service company - soon to MS, will also own and control the software. That's what happens when the mega-corporation with their own servers, buy up the industry. But it will matter not one jot.

Sony have survived 30 years in the gaming industry. This purchase changes nothing for traditional gaming and will hopefully, pull away all of the bad apples and dump them around Microsoft

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Is this the next stage of the media attack on Sony? That Sony are now doomed because games are going to Microsoft? I take it you've not being playing games long?

There will be no ps4 (prior to the PS4 Sony received fair criticism)
Sony are bankrupt
PS4 underpowered
PS4 overpriced
There will be no PS5
PS5 is RDNA 1
PS5 has cooling problems
PS5 is too expensive
PSVR2 will fail, not enough games, too expensive, has a cable

I've heard all of the Sony panic articles before and this is no exception.
CoD - was on its' arse and saved only by remaking MW1 and MW2 and turning it into a FtP Battleroyale
Diablo - One of the better games in the line up, won't be removed from Playstation
TES - we won't see TES 6 for at least another 3 years so it isn't on PS5 anyway
Fallout - I'm a massive Fallout fan and the series has been dead since New Vegas
THPS - lol. attempted remake was a disaster
Doom - not a bad shooter, lacks the impact it once had. Any words on a sequel?
Overwatch - Just screwed players with a disastrous attempted at making a sequel to a FtP game

That's before any of those games get give the Lionhead and Rare treatment. Half of the team making PD remake quit, 343 are terrible, Gears is sliding down the shitter even under a competent team, Hellblade is still MIA even though gameplay was release 18 months ago. No Wasteland 4. Redfall is getting negative reviews.

Outside of Outerworld 2 and Starfield, Microsoft have 27 studios, soon to be a lot more, and they have nothing to show for it.

Sony paid $250 million for Insomniac because Microsoft said "No". Bungie went to Acti because Microsoft said no to a sci-fi MMO. Microsoft can own the whole industry, all they are going to do is crash it, because they're out of their depth by letting suits run the show. They have no idea what they're doing.

Cloud services will replace hardware and software because the biggest cloud service company - soon to MS, will also own and control the software. That's what happens when the mega-corporation with their own servers, buy up the industry. But it will matter not one jot.

Sony have survived 30 years in the gaming industry.and will hopefully, pull away all of the bad apples and dump them around Microsoft
I don't think you even understood any of what I said since your points don't have anything to do with what I said. If you think that MS taking control of those IPs/studios won't have a big impact in the long run I just completely disagree.

You seem to assume that everything will just stay the same and as you say " this purchase changes nothing for traditional gaming", that looks a lot like someone in denial.

24 Jun 2022
Yeah so 2 types of cloud gaming providers. One like sony where you don't actually buy the game but get it as part of a service from Sony, and second type of cloud game provider like stadia who sells it to you on their own storefront and you can play it through cloud.

Nintendo deal will be an interesting one, what's Microsoft intention of providing cod on nintendos platform, is the deal for a native version or through cloud.

The Nintendo deal also has been known for a very long time, since last year but CMA still persist with the cloud SLC.

Well, Microsoft have outright said they can get COD to run natively on the Switch, so I'm assuming their deal with Nintendo is for native versions. Granted, they will probably skip the original Switch and go straight to Switch 2, which would make that task a lot more feasible.

Though I still bet there are some COD programmers and asset artists who aren't necessarily thrilled with having to scope out the annual releases (I'm assuming that's what Microsoft's deal with Nintendo for COD entails) for yet another device.

@Night Sky there's still something to this I don't think you're getting. Yes, most of Microsoft's studios don't have a lot to show right now. But you know that won't be the case forever, eventually they're going to start producing some results.

I can understand what you mean in terms of Microsoft "owning the industry" because in your view they're going to just mess everything up and crash things, but there's a very real threat right now with their strategy in terms of how it affects Sony. Like I said before, the more 3P publishers Microsoft acquires, the more they constrict on Sony's ability to effectively work with independent 3P devs/pubs as a platform holder, because there won't be as many left (particularly among those who own some of the most prolific IP & franchises in the 3P space, be it in terms of cultural cache, revenue, or both).

Microsoft buying up 3P publishers means it's Microsoft who have complete control over those IP, the dev staff of employees who make those games, the tech, and the revenue. Every 3P developer or publisher Microsoft buys is one less 3P Sony can go to in order to get a marketing deal, or timed exclusivity, or co-develop an exclusive together, because there is no way in hell Microsoft allows Sony, who directly competes against Xbox with PlayStation, to make arrangements that could benefit PlayStation at the potential detriment of Xbox, when it's Microsoft who have the negotiating power.

Meanwhile Microsoft acquiring these 3P developers and especially publishers, IS a detriment on Sony and PlayStation. It doesn't really matter if games like Diablo IV are still coming to PS5; now all of those sales on PS5 are Sony PlayStation customers providing 30% revenue right back to Microsoft. Sony still "loses" because PS sales of Diablo IV are partially benefiting Microsoft's revenue pipeline, and can just help fund and enable further 3P acquisitions that further foreclose on Sony's options of working with independent 3P companies as a platform holder.

That is not a sustainable outcome for Sony, because it weakens what they can provide as a platform holder to 3P devs and pubs, which WILL end up affecting 3P content on the platform, and that can create a nasty feedback loop which 1P software alone won't be able to make up for. That WILL lead to some sort of downsizing of PlayStation, at the very least, unless Sony do something to combat against Microsoft's market foreclosure strategy.

We know PlayStation has a lot of heavy-hitters coming in terms of 3P exclusives and 1P games over the course of the next few months through the next 2-3 years. But guess what they won't be able to do for PS6? Get timed exclusives from Arkane, because guess who owns Arkane now? And guess the likelihood that owner would ever entertain Sony's offer for such even if Sony were willing to pay a decent amount? Exactly. Now imagine that same company buying, say, Capcom, or Sega, or Koei-Tecmo, or Ubisoft, or Take-Two, or CDPR, or some combination of those. That further hurts PS6.

It's time to look at the long-term. I don't know what Sony's plan is going to be going forward, but they really need do a combination of 1-2 strategic publisher acquisitions and increase shares in all other key 3P publishers, and probably acquire a few more independent 3P developers. Provided they were willing to sell, the two publishers would probably be Capcom and Square-Enix. Publishers they should buy large volume of shares into include Epic (which they already have some, so just increase the amount), Kadokawa (same), Sega, Koei-Tecmo, Konami, Ubisoft, Take-Two, CDPR etc. Pull a Microsoft and get some Sony people employed at these places you're buying shares in, the higher up the better. And of course continue to look into studios like the Havens, Housemarques, Blue Points etc. that would make for smart acquisition targets, too.

It's cool to figure that nothing necessarily changes for Sony in the short-term, because it doesn't, but they actually will have to start securing their placement with key 3P developers and publishers, through a combination of acquisitions and large investments (via buying shares or a combination of that and select periodic upfront investments, they've done both with Epic for example), to make sure they have a strong standing for the long-term.

D

Deleted member 417

I don't think you even understood any of what I said since your points don't have anything to do with what I said. If you think that MS taking control of those IPs/studios won't have a big impact in the long run I just completely disagree.

You seem to assume that everything will just stay the same and as you say " this purchase changes nothing for traditional gaming", that looks a lot like someone in denial.
Show me what this purchase changes in the traditional gaming industry, outside of thoughts, feelings and fears. It changes nothing.

If you were old enough to remember when MS bought Rare, people went through the same song and dance now. How Nintendo will be ruined, how Nintendo have lost their main 3rd party support. And what did Microsoft do with rare? Nothing. Nada. Diddly squat.

Microsoft aren't buying these studios to compete, they're buying them so no-one else can have them. Which would be a brilliant strategy if not for the fact that Microsoft bollocks up everything they touch.

The people who play overwatch, CoD and candy crush are the same people buying into the horse-raddish that is Gamepass. These aren't sony gamers, they aren't gamers at all. They are people who game because the cost/hour for entertainment is cheaper than anywhere else. It's why they gravitate to Gamepass and free games.

@Night Sky there's still something to this I don't think you're getting. Yes, most of Microsoft's studios don't have a lot to show right now. But you know that won't be the case forever, eventually they're going to start producing some results.

I can understand what you mean in terms of Microsoft "owning the industry" because in your view they're going to just mess everything up and crash things, but there's a very real threat right now with their strategy in terms of how it affects Sony. Like I said before, the more 3P publishers Microsoft acquires, the more they constrict on Sony's ability to effectively work with independent 3P devs/pubs as a platform holder, because there won't be as many left (particularly among those who own some of the most prolific IP & franchises in the 3P space, be it in terms of cultural cache, revenue, or both).

Microsoft buying up 3P publishers means it's Microsoft who have complete control over those IP, the dev staff of employees who make those games, the tech, and the revenue. Every 3P developer or publisher Microsoft buys is one less 3P Sony can go to in order to get a marketing deal, or timed exclusivity, or co-develop an exclusive together, because there is no way in hell Microsoft allows Sony, who directly competes against Xbox with PlayStation, to make arrangements that could benefit PlayStation at the potential detriment of Xbox, when it's Microsoft who have the negotiating power.

Meanwhile Microsoft acquiring these 3P developers and especially publishers, IS a detriment on Sony and PlayStation. It doesn't really matter if games like Diablo IV are still coming to PS5; now all of those sales on PS5 are Sony PlayStation customers providing 30% revenue right back to Microsoft. Sony still "loses" because PS sales of Diablo IV are partially benefiting Microsoft's revenue pipeline, and can just help fund and enable further 3P acquisitions that further foreclose on Sony's options of working with independent 3P companies as a platform holder.

That is not a sustainable outcome for Sony, because it weakens what they can provide as a platform holder to 3P devs and pubs, which WILL end up affecting 3P content on the platform, and that can create a nasty feedback loop which 1P software alone won't be able to make up for. That WILL lead to some sort of downsizing of PlayStation, at the very least, unless Sony do something to combat against Microsoft's market foreclosure strategy.

We know PlayStation has a lot of heavy-hitters coming in terms of 3P exclusives and 1P games over the course of the next few months through the next 2-3 years. But guess what they won't be able to do for PS6? Get timed exclusives from Arkane, because guess who owns Arkane now? And guess the likelihood that owner would ever entertain Sony's offer for such even if Sony were willing to pay a decent amount? Exactly. Now imagine that same company buying, say, Capcom, or Sega, or Koei-Tecmo, or Ubisoft, or Take-Two, or CDPR, or some combination of those. That further hurts PS6.

It's time to look at the long-term. I don't know what Sony's plan is going to be going forward, but they really need do a combination of 1-2 strategic publisher acquisitions and increase shares in all other key 3P publishers, and probably acquire a few more independent 3P developers. Provided they were willing to sell, the two publishers would probably be Capcom and Square-Enix. Publishers they should buy large volume of shares into include Epic (which they already have some, so just increase the amount), Kadokawa (same), Sega, Koei-Tecmo, Konami, Ubisoft, Take-Two, CDPR etc. Pull a Microsoft and get some Sony people employed at these places you're buying shares in, the higher up the better. And of course continue to look into studios like the Havens, Housemarques, Blue Points etc. that would make for smart acquisition targets, too.

It's cool to figure that nothing necessarily changes for Sony in the short-term, because it doesn't, but they actually will have to start securing their placement with key 3P developers and publishers, through a combination of acquisitions and large investments (via buying shares or a combination of that and select periodic upfront investments, they've done both with Epic for example), to make sure they have a strong standing for the long-term.
Like I say above. Your thinking is in line with other peoples at the moment, that Microsoft will take market share from Sony. On the whole, it will move single-digits, at best, if at all.

Microsoft don't have what it takes to compete with Sony and Nintendo, we've seen this and we can see it now, everyday. Microsoft are going to create their own corner of the market and take people who aren't traditionally gamers, out of the market.

If people don't buy games day one or refuse to spend money on games (How many xbox gamers have you seen say they will wait for gamepass?) Then how can losing those kinds of gamers hurt Sony in the long run? They pay for nothing.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They will do whatever the US senator tells them to do. Unfortunately the UK seems like more and more part of the US.
Maria Cantwell is from Washington, the state, her words were for a local audience and carry no real weight outside of people making excuses. They certainly never do anything for Boeing.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Show me what this purchase changes in the traditional gaming industry, outside of thoughts, feelings and fears. It changes nothing.

If you were old enough to remember when MS bought Rare, people went through the same song and dance now. How Nintendo will be ruined, how Nintendo have lost their main 3rd party support. And what did Microsoft do with rare? Nothing. Nada. Diddly squat.

Microsoft aren't buying these studios to compete, they're buying them so no-one else can have them. Which would be a brilliant strategy if not for the fact that Microsoft bollocks up everything they touch.

The people who play overwatch, CoD and candy crush are the same people buying into the horse-raddish that is Gamepass. These aren't sony gamers, they aren't gamers at all. They are people who game because the cost/hour for entertainment is cheaper than anywhere else. It's why they gravitate to Gamepass and free games.

Like I say above. Your thinking is in line with other peoples at the moment, that Microsoft will take market share from Sony. On the whole, it will move single-digits, at best, if at all.

Microsoft don't have what it takes to compete with Sony and Nintendo, we've seen this and we can see it now, everyday. Microsoft are going to create their own corner of the market and take people who aren't traditionally gamers, out of the market.

If people don't buy games day one or refuse to spend money on games (How many xbox gamers have you seen say they will wait for gamepass?) Then how can losing those kinds of gamers hurt Sony in the long run? They pay for nothing.
I also wholeheartedly agree that MS will run ABK into the ground. This is not anything new.
And the people believing they'll revive IPs like Spyro... lol

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I wonder if that senator bringing up the 98 percent high end market share is because MS is getting word the JTC may block the deal?
Nah, I think MS maybe be setting the stage to attempt a buyout of a Japanese publisher next ("Let us compete" - Japan edition), or at the very least attempt to stop Sony from doing it because they "Already have too much marketshare in Japan".

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Nah, I think MS maybe be setting the stage to attempt a buyout of a Japanese publisher next ("Let us compete" - Japan edition), or at the very least attempt to stop Sony from doing it because they "Already have too much marketshare in Japan".
Doubt Japan will ever agree with that. They barely tolerate immigrants, they won’t tolerate an American company trying to buy a Japanese one. They’re way too traditional for that.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Microsoft can’t do nothing when Sony will announce an acquisition of a Japanese publisher. Of course they will cry in media but Sony will counter this with Zenimax.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I wonder if that senator bringing up the 98 percent high end market share is because MS is getting word the JTC may block the deal?
Its because she's from Washington and people from Bellevue vote just like everyone else.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
What in the world does Microsoft hope to achieve by this political agenda???

@Bryank75 @Dabaus @TubzGaming @Sircaw
What’s your thought?

So American congress thinks they have a say in Japanese economy because an American company struggles there?
What do they think they can change? Force people to buy Microsoft products?
So in this case any country can do what they want as long as the American government agrees? But the other way around, No you don't have a say in what We/They do.