Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Say the deal is approved with concessions.........what are the odds that MS is allowed to purchase another multi-billion dollar company in the next say 5 years?

Depends on whether its in the 10s range of 40s range of billions.

Just to be clear. Everyone pretty much agrees that making Bethesda games was a grave mistake MS made, right?

No, MS making more Bethesda games is awesome. 💚

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Say the deal is approved with concessions.........what are the odds that MS is allowed to purchase another multi-billion dollar company in the next say 5 years?
That’s why it’s so important the deal gets blocked. So nobody tries this again.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Bethesda never needed MS to make more Bethesda games.

That's what the post said 🤷‍♂️

If you meant making Bethesda games *exclusive* than that's their prerogative. Their games are universally going to be available on PC if someone doesn't want to play them in the Xbox eco-system. So there's always a choice for the gamers.

I can't wait for Redfall and Starfield. Redfall looks a bit uncertain but Starfield is going to be a veritable banger and a GoTY contender.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
That's what the post said 🤷‍♂️

If you meant making Bethesda games *exclusive* than that's their prerogative. Their games are universally going to be available on PC if someone doesn't want to play them in the Xbox eco-system. So there's always a choice for the gamers.

I can't wait for Redfall and Starfield. Redfall looks a bit uncertain but Starfield is going to be a veritable banger and a GoTY contender.
You’re missing the point lol but go on rambling.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Sorry. Meant gaming company.
Well then, it still depends what it is. Lots of billion dollar companies are floating around on the back-end just working in tech or visual effects, etc. Lots of them in mobile... Now, if you mean another publisher.... I doubt they even have the budget for that with Microsoft going on the back-foot in regards to economic issues in the tech sector. If something like a part of Ubisoft or WB were to fall into their lap as part of a bankruptcy or firesale though... yeah I think they'd be allowed to without any regulatory trials, due to them basically assuming a failed business. But if it were a hostile takeover of a large publisher, one that wasn't in trouble itself, then I think it would get blocked. I think MS gets the current deal through with just signed agreements on CoD non-exclusivity and other behavioral stuff but this is the end of the line for major, healthy, publishers. But not for "small" multibillion dollar deals. Like, EA brought Codemasters for more than a billion dollars last year, do you think anyone would step up to prevent MS from doing that deal and getting a couple niche/shitty racing games?

Reactions: CloudStrife
OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
That's new info to me, too. Dang, kind of reminds me of how MS had to pay Square-Enix to make a 360 port of FF XIII.

The point of my question was... to prove a point.

Microsoft (or Xbox, as I should have worded it) Is mostly unable to create new franchises. Most of their "beloved" franchises were actually moneyhat exclusives, not games they developed and fostered (or even commissioned). It's a sad state of affairs when the first console was released over 20 years ago.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I think MS gets the current deal through with just signed agreements on CoD non-exclusivity and other behavioral stuff
i am not sure, is your first language english? or you just ignore what regulators says? what is going on here?

CMA clearly, wrote, black on white, only way we gonna approve this deal if Activision and CoD is cut off from this deal.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
So now you’re taking turns trolling? 😂

No, there's a lot of genuine trolling going on this topic anyway.

The remedial discussions on the deal is very actively happening right now, saying definitively one way or the other at this point is a fools errand, you're generally smarter than this.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No, there's a lot of genuine trolling going on this topic anyway.

The remedial discussions on the deal is very actively happening right now, saying definitively one way or the other at this point is a fools errand, you're generally smarter than this.

The CMA: "we don't like behavioural remedies"

Deluded fanboys: "don't you see Microsoft is following behavioural remedies already?"