Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
As long as you use any of their crap (Windows included), their power and influence grows.
The only product I use is windows and I got a cheap 10 quid key. I moved office to libre office and Google docs, and don't subscribe to any other service. I removed all the privacy sharing shit from my installation and I don't store account data on windows (outlook, teams, etc). I'm ok with that arrangement, they got 10 quid.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
That maybe does apply for the gaming companies in the west but for sure not in Japan. Japan forbids hostile takeovers. Japanese doing mergers behind the scenes. Sony would have no problem getting Square Enix and Capcom.
If that happened, the bots would seethe.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Square enix and Capcom are literal bird shit compared to COD revenue. There is no acquisition that is similar for Sony to do. Probably only buying Epic could settle the playing field but I don't see that happening.
Sony needs to find their own way. If they get Square Enix and Capcom, this would be a huge get for Playstation. Sony needs to be creative.

• haha
Reactions: ChorizoPicozo

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Square enix and Capcom are literal bird shit compared to COD revenue. There is no acquisition that is similar for Sony to do. Probably only buying Epic could settle the playing field but I don't see that happening.
Epic owns UE, no way any company will allow sony to buy a company that have such an impactful tool thats used by everyone in media. Get T2, make an argument thats its for cloud (not for console) sign cloud deals with competitors, put legacy games on cloud service make all new games PS exclusives.

Reactions: Cool hand luke

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Welp, sony better be on the phone with Square and capcom right now about how much. Problem is, i dont think sony is going to focus on traditional gaming companies that most of us would like, theyre going to want the GAAS money. I predict the company that makes PUBG for example or something like that, although square has ff14 so maybe they will go for them. Either way sony need to take advantage of microsoft still being tangled up with activision and make moves pronto.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
While true I doubt either of them could buy anything bigger than Call of Duty for playstation. This is the biggest multiplatform steal, literally nothing else could compare besides EA and fifa.

Also people need to stop saying Sony can just buy anything, clearly the CMA is saying that only the console market leader buying things would lessen competition, so Sony could not get away with the same thing that MS just got away with.
Of course they could in Japan. They would have no problems there with regulators. And now let’s be honest: Approving two big Publishers buyouts im a row but denying Sony to eventually buy some publishers in Japan, really?? And forget the market leader numbers, this is just a snapshot in time. Nintendo proved it. They have sold most of all consoles right now. This is a term of assets. Wether CMA, EUC nor FTC could interfere with Sony consolidating Partners in Japan. JFTC is here responsible.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
And only one company can outbid everyone else...
To a point, MS just cant buy everything, once they hit 50% market share with PS (abk + zenimax should do this) they will get denied most other acquisition if they attempt. I can live with that.
My issue is regulators not looking at how much more cash MS have to spend compared to Sony.
The message regulators are sending today is if you have less than 50% market share you can buy your way to 50%, we wont stop you.
So now companies are no longer competing for users.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
This unbelievable. How do you get from needing to sell Activision and now getting to this stance???
At this point just discard of all Antitrust authorities in Europe and North America. There is no point for keeping them afloat if they will approve any business deals for the biggest corporations on the world. This frauds would probably also allow Microsoft to buy EA. Honestly I don’t care, the world is filled with corruption.
1000000000 $

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
one thing is right, though… the 3rd parties must be celebrating because now their GAAS IP will have a fighting chance on PS. EA will be thrilled.

• haha

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Only people that are too dumb to see 1 metre away from their nose think consolidation is good. This will force Sony to acquire more, it will force Google and Amazon to try bigger acquisitions if they want to join the market, and the fewer players we have, the shittier product we get and the more we'll pay for it.

There isn't a single instance where market consolidation is good for the consumer.
For example: We will stop having independent 3rd party studios and if we do, they will not survive long. Creativity and risks will no longer be taken in the gaming industry and the publishers who are too big to fail will do whatever they want because we consumers are trapped with barely any choice.

Anyone really think Nintendo can compete at the same level ( money wise ) as Google?

Will Xbox fans cheer when Amazon buys EA and make them exclusive to Amazon Luna?
These are some of the questions we should all be asking. Unfortunately most of our community is selfish and do not care about others.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I see a lot of people wiith the coping mechanims of: 'now sony must buy this, this and this".

this could be true, sony could be in a position in which the HAVE to buy a publisher, and there is probably only one that will be a direct answet to ABK.

but this is the the thing. you are not buying a toy, you are acquiring lot of people. but the most important thing you are forgetting:

PLAY STATION IS THE DOMINANT COMPANY.

acquiring a big company that triggers the Regulators investigation will have bigger odds against PlayStation. use your brain people

sony would be smarter spending like 1-2 Billion having and exclusive deal for GRAND THEFT AUTO VI.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
That maybe does apply for the gaming companies in the west but for sure not in Japan. Japan forbids hostile takeovers. Japanese doing mergers behind the scenes. Sony would have no problem getting Square Enix and Capcom.
They get FF by default. I think the breakdown of other SE-involved titles like Outsiders vastly skew PS sales and/or engagement tail-end. I don't know just how important SE's mobile efforts are in a financial context.

Capcom are far more important in a games context, I'd say, for how they support PSVR in big IP, and among other things their IPs also do heavier numbers on PS too.

Of the two choices, I'd swing Capcom personally, for a closer sewing-up of Capcom/part Dimps ownership and EVO efforts.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
PLAY STATION IS THE DOMINANT COMPANY.

With this acquisition going forward, Xbox + Bethesda + Activision will put them at a clear studio advantage and also on par revenue wise. So no, they are not anymore. And let's not forget that Sony got to their market position by providing a product customers wanted, not by acquiring the biggest publishers and removing IP from their competition.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
With this acquisition going forward, Xbox + Bethesda + Activision will put them at a clear studio advantage and also on par revenue wise. So no, they are not anymore. And let's not forget that Sony got to their market position by providing a product customers wanted, not by acquiring the biggest publishers and removing IP from their competition.
look at the "facts guy"

this is why i mean you cannot have a real conversation.

• haha
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
acquiring a big company that triggers the Regulators investigation will have bigger odds against PlayStation. use your brain people
No. The regulators have clearly shown to be either susceptible to political influence or outright corrupt and clearly are always going to rule in service of the best interests of Microsoft. So, obviously Sony will always be blocked from acquiring anything of substance from this point forward.

• haha

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
it is like 2+2.