Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Wow, those comments under the Eurogamer article are pound your head against the wall infuriating. They're not all shills, so how stupid is the average Xbox fan, and how susceptible are gamers to their propaganda?
Post some of the better ones.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
If i did my math right we have 59 days left til July 18th when the deal is supposed to expire. I wonder what schemes and machinations MS will come up with by then and how much pressure the CMA would be under if any? I feel like the FTC has been way too quiet this past week.

Reactions: Nitro

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
If i did my math right we have 59 days left til July 18th when the deal is supposed to expire. I wonder what schemes and machinations MS will come up with by then and how much pressure the CMA would be under if any? I feel like the FTC has been way too quiet this past week.
FTC probably won't do anything until august.

I'd imagine if the CMA approved it last month and with the EC approval, FTC would immediately file for an injuction to prevent microsoft from moving ahead with the acquisition.

FTC now have time on their side and will drag this case out as long as they can. They no doubt will be building their case in the background.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
and how long till appeal time expires? 2 weeks? less?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
FTC probably won't do anything until august.

I'd imagine if the CMA approved it last month and with the EC approval, FTC would immediately file for an injuction to prevent microsoft from moving ahead with the acquisition.

FTC now have time on their side and will drag this case as long as they can. They no doubt will be building their case in the background.
IMO, anything we hear about this case for the next couple of months is just noise. I'm sure some smaller markets will approve the deal, and China might be a wildcard, but the major players are basically locked in with their decision.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
A Mac is not an answer to everything and being poor doesn't mean the person should suffer being subjected to Windows.

Not only that, but Macs are generally less capable or less in terms of features than Windows laptops at comparable price points.

But, so are Surface laptops, so there is that. Still sucks Windows being the default though; when it's a good time I'll be swapping my laptop from W10 to Linux.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Not only that, but Macs are generally less capable or less in terms of features than Windows laptops at comparable price points.

But, so are Surface laptops, so there is that. Still sucks Windows being the default though; when it's a good time I'll be swapping my laptop from W10 to Linux.
Linux just feels right, now that you can game on it there is no excuse to stay on Windows.

24 Jun 2022
Linux just feels right, now that you can game on it there is no excuse to stay on Windows.

Hopefully that extends to emulators as well. I got a feeling some of my media playback players like PotPlayer would work just fine, as they have Linux distros.

I'd love to be able to do proper music production with professional VSTs on a Linux. I can't. I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Yeah, this is one of my few reservations. I've jumped back into trying music production recently, but the program I use (MuLab) doesn't have an official Linux distro. I simply can't use other music programs, too used to MuLab's UI and workflow, so I'd have to use Windows for that.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
I'm little out of touch from REERA M$/ABK thread? Any reasonable and level headed posts there? I know member gofreak was reasonable at least

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yeah, this is one of my few reservations. I've jumped back into trying music production recently, but the program I use (MuLab) doesn't have an official Linux distro. I simply can't use other music programs, too used to MuLab's UI and workflow, so I'd have to use Windows for that.

Not just that. A lot of conventional VSTs, etc, don't have a linux version. You can replace by freeware ones, sure, but for my use case it wouldn't be possible to achieve the same standard of quality I want for my own projects.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I'm little out of touch from REERA M$/ABK thread? Any reasonable and level headed posts there? I know member gofreak was reasonable at least
He's always in there rationally and calmly shutting down the crazies, but no one engages with him for that reason. Every post I read on there yesterday was some masturbatory fantasy about how MS was going to circumvent the airtight ruling handed down by the CMA or pressure UK politicians into overruling them.

24 Jun 2022
Not just that. A lot of conventional VSTs, etc, don't have a linux version. You can replace by freeware ones, sure, but for my use case it wouldn't be possible to achieve the same standard of quality I want for my own projects.

I've got an old ProteusVX VST that I haven't managed to get working with my program on Windows 10, and it's kind of annoying. Technically had to install it as its own program on another system though and download some old utility files to get it working, don't want to redo that again.

Doubt it has a Linux version at all; have got to try getting it to work on my laptop though. Love the sound banks it has.

Haven't stepped in that minefield for what feels like a week.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I've got an old ProteusVX VST that I haven't managed to get working with my program on Windows 10, and it's kind of annoying. Technically had to install it as its own program on another system though and download some old utility files to get it working, don't want to redo that again.

Doubt it has a Linux version at all; have got to try getting it to work on my laptop though. Love the sound banks it has.

Haven't stepped in that minefield for what feels like a week.
I took a gander at the ree thread today. Still alot of people thinking there is some way Microsoft can work around or bribe the cma. Somewhere between the denial and bargaining stages.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I took a gander at the ree thread today. Still alot of people thinking there is some way Microsoft can work around or bribe the cma. Somewhere between the denial and bargaining stages.
Lol, wouldn't the CMA be in a lot of trouble if they got caught taking bribes?

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
It looks like the loons on Reee and Installbase are hinging on the hopes that the CAT will erroneously determine cloud to be a distribution model rather than a market, despite the fact that all major regulators agree there is an SLC in the cloud gaming market as a result of this proposed acquisition.

That argument seems to primarily hinge on the premise that if a market has the ability to 'cannibalise' another (cannibalise is loaded language here), or is merely a distribution method for the same content, then it cannot be considered separate.

The reality that continues to be ignored is that we consider the streaming market, dominated by Netflix, Disney, and Amazon, and the theatrical box office market, dominated by a handful of studios (including Disney), to be separate markets, despite the fact that theatrical releases find their way onto streaming services, sometimes simultaneously, and would, to a disingenuous idiot, merely be considered different distribution methods.

Cloud is targeted to a different audience, even if members of that audience overlap. Some of those idiots have outed themselves on Reee as not owning Xbox consoles and only playing on cloud.

Last edited: