Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

24 Jun 2022
Most of the Switch game sales are Nintendo game sales, for big publishers 3rd party sales on Switch are a very small market compared to AAA gaming in high end home consoles+PC or specially to mobile.

This is why most of them don't support or almost don't it. But yes, for publishers it would be better to have competition there, specially if doesn't require specific games or ports for it: this is why all of them support Steamdeck, because they can use with a few minor tweaks their PC version.

You're completely ignoring the contradiction in your logic. It doesn't matter if most Switch game sales are Nintendo or not, or if big 3P pubs don't really support it. That is all the MORE reason why, by your logic, Nintendo should have an actual competitor in the portable/handheld space. So that maybe, they are forced to open up to 3P publishers more, and make hardware that they would actually want to bring more of their content to.

And you're being completely silly insisting Steam Deck is a Switch competitor; it has nowhere near the market volume of Nintendo's system, and Valve provides virtually zero 1P software on it so the platform cannot benefit from software designed with vertical integration in mind. Steam Deck is a niche product that has no major competitive threat to Nintendo until Valve produces them at volumes comparable to actual consoles.

Obviously Sony like any company would love to have a monopoly with no competition, or to have their competition as weak as possible. But that would make them too overconfident, lazy, arrogant and pretty likely abusive. It's better for them and specially us to have good competition.

And again, you seem to be misguided in thinking they can only have competition from an external product. Do you not think Sony's own 1P teams are internally motivated to do better than their previous work? That some of them have friendly rivalries/competition among each other to see who can push the hardware the most or in creative ways? Do you not think the various 3P devs/pubs have competition among each other, to see who can make the games that become the most popular on the market?

Again, by your logic, if Sony would suddenly become "overconfident, lazy, arrogant and pretty likely abusive", then the argument can be made that Nintendo, who do NOT have an actual direct competitor to the Switch, are ALREADY emblematic of those very same traits! So I'm asking you: are you willing to, right here and now, say that you agree with that assertion?

Because if you do not, then you have to admit your logic is inconsistent, and it's probably best to drop the irrational concern that Sony suddenly takes on those traits simply because there no Xbox in the console space to "check" them.

Good point, they would become the top grossing console 3rd party publisher.

Which should have been one of your first conclusions reading into the CEO's statements, yet it wasn't :/

Without ABK as 3P, there would be less big 3P games to bid for, so T2 would have more chances of being one of them. 1st and 3rd party are different things and budgets, having more 1st party doesn't mean investing less in 3P: during decades Sony had more 1P than MS and Nintendo combined and they got more 3P deals than MS and Nintendo combined.

We are already seeing a situation where more indie devs are either getting shut out of Game Pass or are afraid of speaking out to problems with the service's model in fear of getting shut out. Do you not see the correlation between Microsoft's acquisitions (particularly Zenimax) and these various indie developers having these concerns or less opportunity into the service?

Also, uh...what?

during decades Sony had more 1P than MS and Nintendo combined and they got more 3P deals than MS and Nintendo combined.

I hope you are not conflating natural 3P exclusives with targeted 3P exclusivity deals, because they are not the same. During PS1 and PS2 especially, the vast majority of Sony's 3P exclusives were simply by choice of 3P devs and pubs with no specific deals done by Sony. Those 3Ps had little market incentive to put their efforts to comparatively struggling platforms like the Saturn, N64, 3DO, Dreamcast, Gamecube, or Xbox.

If otherwise you are conflating them, you're either intentionally or unintentionally parroting a talking point usually used against Sony to erroneously paint them as anti-competitive.

Yes, as mentioned now with less big 3P it's more likely that both Sony and MS would bid for Take2.

No, it means MS has less a need for bidding on Take 2 and Take Two would get preferential treatment from Sony because Sony would be the one needing their support more.

If you want historical examples of this, just look at EA's relationship with Sega on the Genesis/MegaDrive and what they tried negotiating (or strong-arming) with Sega on the Dreamcast.

I think what it's awful for publishers from the top AAA ones to small indies is the 'day one on a subscription' potentially becoming the standard: that would kill most big and small publishers, devs and platform holders. I think it's very toxic and it hope it fails and never becomes the standard.

So why are you seemingly in support for MS to acquire big publishers like ABK in order to be more "competitive"?

And for the platforms with cloud gaming, the abusive conditions that MS puts to give them CoD during 10 years. I think these conditions of giving 0% instead of 30% of the revenue must kill the acquisition.

The fact the EC has forced MS to provide an automatic free license to all cloud providers for the 10-year period might negate the implicit issues of the lopsided revenue cut among most of them. Obviously, it doesn't with companies like Sony (for starters, it wouldn't be on MS's terms to offer a free license as a publisher on PlayStation platforms when Sony as the platform holder dictates companies purchase a license for publishing), Apple, Google, (likely) Amazon etc. though.

But, if the 100% cut for MS remains intact then I figure it's due to the automatic free license requirement. But that only works where MS is treated as the platform holder of the content licensing it out to the equivalent of 3P publishers (that would be the dynamic of the cloud providers in this relationship). It's basically a subversion of the traditional model and favors acquisition of market content.

Which should really be the bigger issue of concern in this.

But outside these two things, I think that the acquisition would help MS be in a better shape, even if still behind Sony, and Sony having stronger competition would do an even better job.

It is stronger "competition" that MS bought their way towards, though. They did not work for that growth WRT providing a product customers in the gaming market invested into through purchases, it would not be earned on the merits of their effectiveness in the gaming market. That purchasing power comes from entrenchments in non-gaming markets, a lot of which were built off of anti-competitive practices in the past.

You keep talking about "competition" through avenues that represent no legitimate competition, then surmise Sony would be better motivated to compete, in this case (assuming your previous posts) through leanings of strengths and revenue exclusively through the merits of the PlayStation unit and sans acquisitions. Rules for one but not rules for the other.

Actual competition also factors (or should factor) in the fairness of that competition, and we're talking about a lopsidedness here that is very advantageous (borderline manipulative) towards Microsoft, and very unfair to a company like Sony.

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
This part of the nonstop pressure campaign i was referring to the other day. Its going to be everyday of news articles, ceo comments, "market analysts" etc etc saying how great this deal is and how wrong the CMA are. I also expect MS is calling members of Parliament and UK government officials as well.

Eurogamer are playing their part

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
What did Minecraft do for their CREATIVE OUTPUT!?
Nothing, but weren't talking about this. We were talking about MS getting more competitive. Even if the new Minecraft games haven't been huge successes, Minecraft still created them a shit ton of money.

Look at the issues many of the XGS studios still have.
Yes, still there.

Issues that potentially some of the Zenimax studios are now having.
Probably, even if I think Zenimax already had their own issues. And ABK also have their own ones. I think under MS some of the issues these publishers had before will be solved, other will grow or added.

If Zenimax ends up like Mojang then what's the net benefit for Xbox outside of folding that revenue into the Xbox division's?
The aquired publishers and studios make a lot of revenue and profit in all platforms, that gets added to the one from their gaming division.

Because the games you're getting are still the exact same you'd have gotten if Zenimax stayed independent.
Yes, AAA take a lot of years to be made. So we'll need to wait a lot to see their first games started inside MS.

And you want them to replicate that with ABK? You're just getting COD still, Diablo, Overwatch etc. Do any of them get better? Maybe they end up worst.
A company doesn't make an acquisition to make the acquired games better, they make an acquisition to get the money they make.

Maybe Zenimax and ABK end up like Rare, basically a shell of their former selves that has no connection to their legacy whatsoever.
Yes, maybe. In fact, I think both in ceartain way already were an empty shell of what they were in the past before MS was interested on acquiring them. I think with or without MS, Blizzard won't be as great and successful as they were in Overwatch, Warcraft or Hearstone, or with their new IPs, I think King won't make a game as successful as Candy Crash, and that the whole Activision will be mostly a CoD pumping machine with some pretty rare cases of smaller project from time to time.

I think many CoD players are tired of it but continue there due to the lack of better alternatives. And that if some of the Sony GaaS shooters end being good enough will steal a portion of the the CoD fanbase.

I also think that with or without MS, Zenimax won't make an ES as successful as Skyrim, that Fallout won't be as big as it was in the past, that Arkane won't make a game as good and successful as Dishonored and that Machine Games and Tango will never be highly praised super sellers.

I think there may be two exceptions: I think that GaaS Doom (Zenimax and MS are turning all their big IPs that moderately fit into GaaS) may be the most succesful in the series and that Indiana Jones may be the most successful Machine Games (which isn't too difficult) due to the good IP choice.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I didn't say that they'd want MS being market leader. I said they'd prefer MS to be more competitive, closer to (but still behind) Sony.
A close to 50/50 market split is as bad as a monopoly for the stagnation and homogenization of the industry it creates. The sheer mediocrity of third-party releases in the 360/PS3 era was a result of that kind of duopoly, and I never want to see that again. Not even 60/40

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Darth Vader

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Windows and Office are the type of products you rarely have a say if you are going to support it or not, comes with new laptops (where most of the time you have no choice but to pay for it), your school buys, your government buys, your college buys it, your work requires it, they all get suckered/bribed into paying for unnecessary software and people get conditioned to using it.

Humanity being held hostage by shitty software due to corruption and lack of regulation.
Windows only comes on your new laptop if you’re too poor or stupid to buy a Mac.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I wonder what will happen if China blocked the deal too 🤔
They might approve it because it helps Tencent. WoW belonging to Xbox would open things up for their WoW knockoff that they're working on. It would also set a precedent for Tencent to buy anything they want as well.

Last edited:

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Eurogamer are playing their part

Embarrassing. Here's the quote they should have led with

"I think one of the reasons companies like Microsoft and Google want to invest in the UK is because we have independent regulators that are not controlled by politicians and therefore they can be confident there will be a level playing field," Hunt continued.

"I would not want to undermine that at all"

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The EU's proposed remedies also seem to imply that if Sony spun up their own separate cloud service that could work on PC and PS5, they could finesse their way into continuing to get all of ABK's games.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
The EU's proposed remedies also seem to imply that if Sony spun up their own separate cloud service that could work on PC and PS5, they could finesse their way into continuing to get all of ABK's games.
That’s what ec wants, knowing won’t happen, then they’ll collect MS’s fines.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Honestly at this point, it might just be that these websites are trying to milk this story for clicks and are just trying to invent drama to keep engagement up.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Wow, those comments under the Eurogamer article are pound your head against the wall infuriating. They're not all shills, so how stupid is the average Xbox fan, and how susceptible are gamers to their propaganda?

Reactions: Edmund

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Wow, those comments under the Eurogamer article are pound your head against the wall infuriating. They're not all shills, so how stupid is the average Xbox fan, and how susceptible are gamers to their propaganda?
I learned not to read comments under articles like this a long time ago, lol.