Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
God, send Reee to the gulags already. It's all about how the CMA is weak and will lose face and feel pressure and how they were never the key to getting the deal through.

Meanwhile, in reality, the UK govt has repudiated Microsoft's  pathetic criticism, Brad Smith had a spastic collapse and threatened their national security, the CAT judge set the trial date after the drop-dead date for the deal, and the CMA is being granted MORE power by the UK government. They were also (reportedly, haven't verified) the only entity to block Meta/Giphy, which was unwound.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Idas's latest post now has all the thread regulars convinced that MS can just circumvent the CMA/UK and get the deal through. It's wild.
I found that mlex report great tbh.

All it does is give the CMA more ammunition. Just shows the contempt microsoft has for regulators even if it just an attempt to put pressure.

I very well hope the CMA/CAT bring it up as not an accusation rather a question to MS lawyers in future hearings, if that is on the cards.

They either answer no and we can move on from this charade, or they don't answer no as a foolish attempt to put pressure, opening them up to further probing during the hearing that will only make them look worse.

Can't imagine the CAT judge being very happy with them attempting to bully the regulators.

And no doubt the FTC will be watching as well to use anything against MS in august.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitro and Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I found that mlex report great tbh.

All it does is give the CMA more ammunition. Just shows the contempt microsoft has for regulators even if it just an attempt to put pressure.

I very well hope the CMA/CAT bring it up as not an accusation rather a question to MS lawyers in future hearings, if that is on the cards.

They either answer no and we can move on from this charade, or they don't answer no as a foolish attempt to put pressure, opening them up to further probing during the hearing that will only make them look worse.

Can't imagine the CAT judge being very happy with them attempting to bully the regulators.

And no doubt the FTC will be watching as well to use anything against MS in august.
I really don't get why the entire MS gaming business isn't being investigated. I think a core issue should be a huge trillionare company leveraging massive profits from other segments to dominate markets by ways of acquisitions without costumers having any say.

It's such a shame that regulators are so weak, this shit should've been blocked on every country unless MS has some excellent justification on why they needed this.

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
The shills in era really think MS will circumvent the CMA, as if they could lol
People in era don't want to bother with these shills
I mean you will waste your time talking with paid shills with 100 accounts and even if they get banned they will activate another account
So era users are chil and laughing at the idea ms will leave the uk lol 😆

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Yeah, Era is crying A LOT over the CMA. More then they have been crying until now. Hilarious.
They act like spoiled children because of poor trillion dollar company MS.
They're like "waaaaaaah it's not fair waaaaaaaaaah only the uk blocked, everyone else accepted it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"
Tantrum Crying GIF

Bunch of manchildren corporate shilss.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yeah, Era is crying A LOT over the CMA. More then they have been crying until now. Hilarious.
They act like spoiled children because of poor trillion dollar company MS.
They're like "waaaaaaah it's not fair waaaaaaaaaah only the uk blocked, everyone else accepted it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"
Tantrum Crying GIF

Bunch of manchildren corporate shilss.
It makes no sense, if they like CoD so much buy the fucking game.

It all comes down to hating Sony and not wanting to buy any games. They even put all their political anti-capitalistic agenda over that, absolutely no integrity and confirmation that they are not serious people.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Now that people are being appointed to this CAT trial i think i now understand the point of Sarah Bond's tweet activating the Cult. No doubt they want to use their insane, deranged, cult fanbase to harass and send threatening messages to individuals named.

25 Jul 2022
The CMA is pretty much fighting for all of it's power, if they can't even block some gaming acquisition why would they be able to block anything else? MS would be pretty much taking a massive dump on the UK.

It's so weird how committed MS is to get this trough goes against all reason. This is clearly part of their plan to challenge the App Store and Play Store, it's the only thing that makes sense.

They seem to have no self awareness, I wish they had no involvement with games. What a disgraceful and cancerous company. They should be broke down into a million pieces.

Despite MS's best efforts to downplay the significance of COD to regulators its the key piece they need for future plans of growth.

In fact it's scary how many of MS future plans rely on having COD and why divestiture was never an option.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

Phil Spencer called the deal an accelerant, internal MS documents from CMA say its more than that. The documents note how MS want to change the behaviour and habits of gamers and condition them to a cloud gaming only future. MS's plan requires the need to acquire and restrict access to a huge enough IP. The IP needs to be big enough to get people to switch (COD or GTA size) and current games in MS's roster are no where near big enough.

Lets also recall Phil Spencer's recent interview “There is no world where Starfield is an 11 out of 10 and people start selling their PS5's that’s not going to happen.”

Odd comment right?! why is Phil trying to get people to sell their PS5. Well you just got a glimpse into MS internal thinking. Starfield will not move the needle but owning and restricting COD in some way could make people sell their PS5's. So there's another plan in jeopardy.

Also note PlayStation is the reason MS got into console gaming. XBOX is nothing more than a defensive move. 20 years in the console hardware game and they've tied their hopes on leveraging COD (and/or other huge acquired IP like say GTA) to eventually kill PlayStation. I can't see any other way for them to beat PS or any contingency plan open to MS that can get the desired result if the deal falls through. This is the big one for me.

You already touched on MS's universal app store plans to take on Apple and Google mobile stores, but this also requires having COD to make any real dent in getting people to switch from what they're happy using today. During behavioural remedies CMA looked into the scenario of MS offering competition to the mobile giants their conclusion was to call it anti-competitive. So another plan in jeopardy.

In conclusion MS future plans REQUIRE owning and leveraging a huge IP. Without it they can't realistically get people to switch from Apple & Google stores or get people to sell / switch from their PS5's.

MS can act all tough in the public arena but their actions and mind blowing bullying and pressure tactics show this is a desperate move by a desperate company trying to remain relevant against better competition.

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
You already touched on MS's universal app store plans to take on Apple and Google mobile stores, but this also requires having COD to make any real dent in getting people to switch from what they're happy using today. During behavioural remedies CMA looked into the scenario of MS offering competition to the mobile giants their conclusion was to call it anti-competitive. So another plan in jeopardy.
I wanna comment only on this, there's no universe that Microsoft gets to make a successful alternative app store, even fortnite making vbucks cheaper outside of Play Store made any difference, alternative app stores are there exclusively for enthusiasts and people that download region locked apps.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Despite MS's best efforts to downplay the significance of COD to regulators its the key piece they need for future plans of growth.

In fact it's scary how many of MS future plans rely on having COD and why divestiture was never an option.

Phil Spencer called the deal an accelerant, internal MS documents from CMA say its more than that. The documents note how MS want to change the behaviour and habits of gamers and condition them to a cloud gaming only future. MS's plan requires the need to acquire and restrict access to a huge enough IP. The IP needs to be big enough to get people to switch (COD or GTA size) and current games in MS's roster are no where near big enough.

Lets also recall Phil Spencer's recent interview “There is no world where Starfield is an 11 out of 10 and people start selling their PS5's that’s not going to happen.”

Odd comment right?! why is Phil trying to get people to sell their PS5. Well you just got a glimpse into MS internal thinking. Starfield will not move the needle but owning and restricting COD in some way could make people sell their PS5's. So there's another plan in jeopardy.

Also note PlayStation is the reason MS got into console gaming. XBOX is nothing more than a defensive move. 20 years in the console hardware game and they've tied their hopes on leveraging COD (and/or other huge acquired IP like say GTA) to eventually kill PlayStation. I can't see any other way for them to beat PS or any contingency plan open to MS that can get the desired result if the deal falls through. This is the big one for me.

In conclusion MS future plans REQUIRE owning and leveraging a huge IP. Without it they can't realistically get people to switch from Apple & Google stores or get people to sell / switch from their PS5's.

MS can act all tough in the public arena but their actions and mind blowing bullying and pressure tactics show this is a desperate move by a desperate company trying to remain relevant against better competition.
Seems like gaming is MS new Trojan Horse, except they just happen to suck at making games.

I just hate how MS tries to make themselves unavoidable, Windows, Office, GitHub, VSCode, Teams, Azure, etc, all collecting data, most of them being forced on people. I really don't understand how public opinion turned so positive on MS when to me they are worse and more agressive than ever.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

They're an old dinosaur of a company that uses their monopoly money to buy out competitors in a desperate attempt to stay relevant.

They've never managed to effectively compete in any areas, except by buying others. Windows and Office have been the same products for decades, with a new coat of paint every now and then.

The only area they try to compete, cloud infrastructure, they are beat by AWS, and their advantage is bundling other MS products like Windows and Office (that are also triggering anti-competitive probes).

I wouldn't be surprised when the ABK deal falls through that they pivot to video streaming to copy-cat Amazon and Apple.

Exbox was their entertainment division, but it's flailing constantly. Even the Zenimax acquisition hasn't payed off.

Management seems to be failling upwards.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The fact that MS may be looking at ways to work around the UK might be implying that they don't have so much confidence in the CAT appeals process.

I would also like it if the FTC doubled down on their opposition to the deal, if only to destroy the narrative that the CMA are the only ones against the deal.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
The fact that MS may be looking at ways to work around the UK might be implying that they don't have so much confidence in the CAT appeals process.

I would also like it if the FTC doubled down on their opposition to the deal, if only to destroy the narrative that the CMA are the only ones against the deal.
They know it's dead.
It's been dead since it entered in phase 2 in the UK.

24 Jun 2022
I really don't get why the entire MS gaming business isn't being investigated. I think a core issue should be a huge trillionare company leveraging massive profits from other segments to dominate markets by ways of acquisitions without costumers having any say.

It's such a shame that regulators are so weak, this shit should've been blocked on every country unless MS has some excellent justification on why they needed this.

This is something I've mentioned in the past. Even other major tech companies of their day like NEC pulled out of gaming after a single failure (PC-FX). Same with Panasonic/Matsushita with the 3DO. Sony would have done the same if PS1 ended up bombing, despite being notably bigger than Nintendo and Sega at that time.

Microsoft have been using the Netflix model in gaming since the get-go and while it's one thing to leverage resources and profits from other divisions to help get a new division up and going (after all, Sony did this for the PS1), most normal companies intend for that new division to eventually become self-sustaining, as in able to generate its own profits, within a reasonable amount of time. 22 years is not a reasonable amount of time unless you can continuously leverage profits from other parts of the company to sustain mounting losses in a less-critical market in ways that can bleed competitors out on no other merits besides having less money.

The only time this would have worked for Microsoft in a way that could arguably be considered "fair" was the 360 era, because while doing just as described, Sony actually did make several mistakes of their own early on, causing self-inflicted damage. But Microsoft did not capitalize, and lost that opportunity. Now they're leveraging market valuation and profits from Windows, Azure and Office to finance the largest gaming acquisition in history, in order to artificially boost their gaming revenue and starve a competitor of content (and free access to that content i.e without the ownership of another platform holder/competitor getting in the way).

No matter what Satya Nadella or anyone else at Microsoft want to say, that is not "competition".

That line always bothered me because in the context of that interview and knowing where Xbox is today, he should've said there's no world where Starfield's an 11 out of 10 and people go out to buy an Xbox. It just goes to show how much some Xbox fanatics pretend otherwise, Microsoft themselves very much still see Sony and PlayStation as a competitor, and I think they see them as such because they are a stepping stone towards taking on companies like Apple and Google in gaming.

Out of three, they assume Sony would be the "easiest" to dismantle and as you said, COD ownership is the key way they want to accomplish that. Then combined with ownership of other ABK IP, alongside what they already purchased in Zenimax, and some of their pre-publisher acquisitions, that starts to create an easy way to go after a chief rival in the core console gaming market. That's in addition to mentions of even more acquisitions (or at least the intention) from Microsoft, while it seems Sony are leaning in the opposite direction of that type of strategy.

It's also just funny to hear Phil Spencer say they can never "out-console" Sony or Nintendo but then in the same interview show they still have the yearning of outselling PlayStation and outstripping it in market share.