Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
It's pretty funny how Microsoft's current plan to force this deal through was seen as so ridiculous that even Resetera banned it from discussion. It's looking more and more like they're preparing a Hail Mary to try and get this done before the cutoff date.
they banned it? Really?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
It's pretty funny how Microsoft's current plan to force this deal through was seen as so ridiculous that even Resetera banned it from discussion. It's looking more and more like they're preparing a Hail Mary to try and get this done before the cutoff date.
Thats exactly what this is. A temper tantrum of empty threats and "id like to speak to the manager" energy. If the CMA buckles, or is forced to buckle to this, then any company can just pull the same petulant stunts Microsoft is doing to override them and make them of no effect.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
All hopes for the appeal seem to hinge on the idea that the CAT will determine cloud gaming to not be a separate market. Well, it is. And even if it wasn't, the CMA has enough discretion with their market definitions that they can class it to be one.

South Korea agrees, and barring one EU official's comments outside of their published decision, I don't see where the EU denies the distinction, either. Speaking of comity, EU failed to take this into consideration when approving the deal, knowing the FTC and UK were against it.

Reactions: Arminius

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
All hopes for the appeal seem to hinge on the idea that the CAT will determine cloud gaming to not be a separate market. Well, it is. And even if it wasn't, the CMA has enough discretion with their market definitions that they can class it to be one.

South Korea agrees, and barring one EU official's comments outside of their published decision, I don't see where the EU denies the distinction, either. Speaking of comity, EU failed to take this into consideration when approving the deal, knowing the FTC and UK were against it.
I don’t think CAT can make that decision anyway.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I don’t think CAT can make that decision anyway.
I believe it's one of the grounds of MS' pathetic and hopeless appeal. The idea is the CAT upholds this ground and remits back to the CMA with the understanding that they arrived at the (correct) conclusion in error. Not happening.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Someone on gaf who watched the hearing on Tuesday mentioned that when the point about the market definition was brought up, the cat judge said "the CMA wins" if their was a disagreement on that.

Which wouldn't be surprising as one of the UK m&a lawyers who posts on era mentioned this
CMA have a wide margin of error in merger cases under the EA2002 to define markets and b) as above, market definition is just an analytical tool to see whether there is an SLC - it's not a rigid barometer that determines whether you (i.e a regulator) get the assessment right or wrong

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Thats exactly what this is. A temper tantrum of empty threats and "id like to speak to the manager" energy. If the CMA buckles, or is forced to buckle to this, then any company can just pull the same petulant stunts Microsoft is doing to override them and make them of no effect.
I mean, yeah? Its dubious here because Xbox is such a small part of Microsoft, compared to, say, sales of Office or Azure in the UK. They almost certainly won't divest themselves of all operations on the island. But if a company doesn't like a foreign country's rules they can always leave. The actual temper tantrum is you thinking thats "petulant."

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I mean, yeah? Its dubious here because Xbox is such a small part of Microsoft, compared to, say, sales of Office or Azure in the UK. They almost certainly won't divest themselves of all operations on the island. But if a company doesn't like a foreign country's rules they can always leave. The actual temper tantrum is you thinking thats "petulant."
The temper tantrum is Microsoft's. Thanks.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Lmao

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What a bizarre conclusion.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It is painful to type out such idiocy?

It really ought to be.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Let xbox spend the rest of this gen busy fighting for this deal

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Democracy seems to be a go-to buzzword for xbox fans. They complain how the CMA are being undemocratic.

Couple that with how many xbox fans are totally OK with MS leaving the UK because MS have the rest of the world behind them.

Xbots really are the dumbest gamers to have ever existed.
They are not gamers. Just m$ activists

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Nah.

• fire
Reactions: Deleted member 417