Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
If this deal somehow goes through, Sony need to buy something like TakeTwo to maintain power in the industry.

It's not just about console share, I am sure they'll stay ahead there. But leverage, revenue and reach are important too....

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I've seen the argument return that these acquisitions are karma for PlayStation having too many 3rd party deals. It gets extremely old and MS likely would have done this regardless of what Sony were doing.

Also, FWIW, Hoeg thinks the FTC are losing (unsurprising), but says not to assume you know what a judge will do interestingly enough.

Still curious as to what the CMA's role in this will be if MS win against the FTC.

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
Reading the recap on Gaf, did they reveal lying Phil wanted to make Minecraft exclusive but was prevented by Notch's contractual agreements?

YES!

I need to revisit the hearing, but the FTC adduced an email authored by Phil Spencer wanting to make Minecraft exclusive. It's true. I heard it also.

Amazing how the press are skipping over so many awkward revelations.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's blocked. There's no getting around the UK. But Sony should buy Take Two anyway.

100%.

Can't continue to allow this stuff go unpunished...it sends the wrong message. If Microsoft slap Sony in the face, Sony need to straight kick them in the balls and fold em over.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Ew. Take-Two comes with Zynga, 2K multiplataform sports games and PC studios. Do you guys actually want that? Take-Two is not just R*.

That's exactly why they should buy them... of course keep them all doing what they are doing. Maybe cut some fat where needed.

But then make big single player games timed / console or fully exclusive.

Basically what MSFT are doing but against them.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Ew. Take-Two comes with Zynga, 2K multiplataform sports games and PC studios. Do you guys actually want that? Take-Two is not just R*.
Lmao all of those are business positives but you and other people salivate at Sony buying SE which have nothing worthwhile outside of FF.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Lmao all of those are business positives but you and other people salivate at Sony buying SE which have nothing worthwhile outside of FF.
Dragon quest too, but agreed. From a business perspective, having the best multiplatform basketball game and other sports titles to add to MLB would be a winning proposition, even without factoring in GTA, RDR, and some of the other semi-storied franchises like Bioshock and Mafia.

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023
Eh, I'm not really sure Sony can afford Take Two, and in terms of revenue and profitability Take two is definitely bigger than Square, but overall, they both would bring big IPs and a stable income from mobile games

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Honestly I don’t wish Sony to buy TakeTwo. I also hope and still convinced that Activision Blizzard deal will fall apart. The only thing Sony needs to counter fill the void by missing Bethesda titles. It’s really simple: Square Enix. They proved with FFXVI that Square can do better RPGs which gets people excited.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Eh, I'm not really sure Sony can afford Take Two, and in terms of revenue and profitability Take two is definitely bigger than Square, but overall, they both would bring big IPs and a stable income from mobile games
Sony can't afford Take Two but Take two can afford 12 billion dollar acquisition of Zynga which makes 60% of Take two market cap at that time.
Its best to say Sony doesn't want to cough up the money to acquire take two.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
100%.

Can't continue to allow this stuff go unpunished...it sends the wrong message. If Microsoft slap Sony in the face, Sony need to straight kick them in the balls and fold em over.
i believe my fave version of this line is: if they send one of us to the hospital, we send all of them to the morgue

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
That's exactly why they should buy them... of course keep them all doing what they are doing. Maybe cut some fat where needed.

But then make big single player games timed / console or fully exclusive.

Basically what MSFT are doing but against them.
I rather if Sony didn't become MS or start following their lead, they should only acquire publisher and studios that have the right fit

Reactions: Bryank75

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Sounds like a win to me? Microsoft would shit themselves if Sony ever owned the GTA / Red Dead IP's plus NBA 2k... Rockstar sitting on a gold mine of IP's too

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75