Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
Are they powerful, though?

They are powerful in shaping/controlling narrative.

People already believe yesterday's hearing proves Sony were negotiating to keep Starfield off Xbox, despite Spencer choosing his words carefully and not actually saying that, so Microsoft bought Bethesda in retaliation, to keep Xbox competitive.

Yet between the gamer lawsuit and the FTC hearing, we discovered there are sensitive Microsoft documents that show key executives discussing acquiring major publishers through 2018-2019, before Sony signed FFXVI and Deathloop.

Microsoft are trying to justify their immense spending spree on a small number of 3rd-party deals that keep getting referenced by the media ad infinitum, when a full reading of the record shows Microsoft already charting this course.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I'm beginning to believe that they put something into Xboxes that makes people actively dumber. Insane that these people don't realize how stupid and hypocritical they act.
PS4 generation did some serious mental damage to them. They where hoping this generation would be a comeback for xbox, instead it's a repeat of last gen.

They are seething.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
PS4 generation did some serious mental damage to them. They where hoping this generation would be a comeback for xbox, instead it's a repeat of last gen.

They are seething.
They were hoping this gen would be like last gen with the roles reversed. I've seen posts on era saying as much.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
They are powerful in shaping/controlling narrative.

People already believe yesterday's hearing proves Sony were negotiating to keep Starfield off Xbox, despite Spencer choosing his words carefully and not actually saying that, so Microsoft bought Bethesda in retaliation, to keep Xbox competitive.

Yet between the gamer lawsuit and the FTC hearing, we discovered there are sensitive Microsoft documents that show key executives discussing acquiring major publishers through 2018-2019, before Sony signed FFXVI and Deathloop.

Microsoft are trying to justify their immense spending spree on a small number of 3rd-party deals that keep getting referenced by the media ad infinitum, when a full reading of the record shows Microsoft already charting this course.

Yes, and that narrative works on a small number of people online. It's not fooling anybody else which can be plainly seen by the discussion here, for example, and the popularity of PS versus XBox. I get that it's frustrating, but this is how MS does things. I don't personally go out of my way to read shill articles by the media or forums run by Xbox ambassadors (Ree) because it's all such disingenuous noise. It also helps to remember that regulators in the CMA and FTC are also not taken in by it.

Nitro

10 Apr 2023
North Pole
This sub is a biased sample, not through emotion, but because one of the draws that attract people here is we recognize and provide solid examples of media bias and astroturfing. Proceed to Reddit, Twitter or other online communities, and the volume of one-sided BS soon becomes intolerable.

MrRevocs1256

28 Apr 2023
I love how MS claims to be a champion for cross play, but that only began when they told Square to fuck off when they wanted to put FF14 on Xbox but due to crossplay with PS3 they refused. As soon as FF14 got BIG they started backpedaling. Same with Genshin, they told HoYoverse to get lost, only to realise how badly they fucked up when Genshin got big, which lead to MS trying desperately into getting a random Chinese MMO Naraka Bladepoint an xbox exclusive in hopes that they will be able to have the Genshin money.

MS is always a reactionary company, they have no plans of their own.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

They are seething.
They really don't get that Sony benefits from their entire history in games, what they have today was built over 29 years. Xbox over its 22 years in the console space never committed to anything long term, they change direction every time their new genius plan to kill PlayStation fails miserably. Their vision of what gaming is supposed to be blows.

Xbox is pretty much this guy:
Explode Blow Up GIF by reactionseditor

MrRevocs1256

28 Apr 2023
They really don't get that Sony benefits from their entire history in games, what they have today was built over 29 years. Xbox over its 22 years in the console space never committed to anything long term, they change direction every time their new genius plan to kill PlayStation fails miserably.
I mean, they started the Xbox division out of fear of Sony.
Sony had their big fuck up with PS3 launch, however they got their shit together, the SAME GEN.
Nintendo fucked up with the Wii U, but they got their shit together with the Switch
MS fucked up with Xbox One launch and to this day they cannot recover.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I mean, they started the Xbox division out of fear of Sony.
Sony had their big fuck up with PS3 launch, however they got their shit together, the SAME GEN.
Nintendo fucked up with the Wii U, but they got their shit together with the Switch
MS fucked up with Xbox One launch and to this day they cannot recover.
PS3 is the most defining generations for Sony, when they were in the ropes they focused on their studios and their games to see them trough it.

Xbox was in the same situation multiple times and they always look for a way out that isn't producing quality games (gimmicks, services, acquisition sprees, fake PR, FUD).

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I love how MS claims to be a champion for cross play, but that only began when they told Square to fuck off when they wanted to put FF14 on Xbox but due to crossplay with PS3 they refused. As soon as FF14 got BIG they started backpedaling. Same with Genshin, they told HoYoverse to get lost, only to realise how badly they fucked up when Genshin got big, which lead to MS trying desperately into getting a random Chinese MMO Naraka Bladepoint an xbox exclusive in hopes that they will be able to have the Genshin money.

MS is always a reactionary company, they have no plans of their own.

They're basically what Sega was in the mid '90s, and yet people get mad when I mention the parallels and correlations.

And they almost always reject the comparison b/c, 1: they assume I insinuate MS is going out of business leaving the console market as a platform holder (even if I think they would serve themselves better by not engaging in the traditional console business model, personally) and 2: MS has way more money than Sega ever did.

It's like those folks think as if children, when I make the comparison due to similarity in corporate decisions and the reactionary, non-confident nature of those decisions. And similarly, not having a cohesive vision (i.e a vision that doesn't involve self-cannibalizing certain aspects of their own gaming unit) or having a weak one which doesn't resonate with the desires of the rest of the market.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
They're basically what Sega was in the mid '90s, and yet people get mad when I mention the parallels and correlations.

And they almost always reject the comparison b/c, 1: they assume I insinuate MS is going out of business leaving the console market as a platform holder (even if I think they would serve themselves better by not engaging in the traditional console business model, personally) and 2: MS has way more money than Sega ever did.

It's like those folks think as if children, when I make the comparison due to similarity in corporate decisions and the reactionary, non-confident nature of those decisions. And similarly, not having a cohesive vision (i.e a vision that doesn't involve self-cannibalizing certain aspects of their own gaming unit) or having a weak one which doesn't resonate with the desires of the rest of the market.
Xbox needs to die. There is no more a toxic brand than Microsoft’s Xbox. The Gaming-Industry would be much more peaceful without Microsoft. I hope Activision Blizzard falls though because we are then closer than ever Xbox leaving the business.