Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Jimbo might really play an essential role to persuade the judge. Well we will know on Thursday how it turns out.

Yeah will be interesting. Imo FTC have shown how untrustworthy ms are, and Jim could have added to that in his testimony.

For example Sony called ms out on only really giving out these deals when MS sensed regulatory scrutiny. Showing that they only really wanted to hand out these deals to make the regulators happy.

I'd imagine FTC will focus next on cloud market concerns and aswell as challenge them on closing before the merger expiry date.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I Still dont know why Sony its Just quiet
Tbh I think Sony are fighting the fights that matter.

Just look at how many times phil spencer was crying about Sony being agressive with exclusives deals during the injunction hearing. Sony are fighting in the background to massively hamper gamepass and Xbox execs are probably fuming.

No need to get down In the dirt in public like ms.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
He is on Installbase too
Here, Neogaf, Outerspace (Brazilian console forum destroyed by Xbox zealots), Adrenaline (Brazilian PC forum with a pretty good PlayStation thread), Installbase.

Not paid by MS because he weirdly shares too much about his personal life, just a legit hater/troll.

Personally I find him entertaining as long as it's easy to identify him for what he is. Definettly not someone above spreading FUD and misinformation tho.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
This sub is a biased sample, not through emotion, but because one of the draws that attract people here is we recognize and provide solid examples of media bias and astroturfing. Proceed to Reddit, Twitter or other online communities, and the volume of one-sided BS soon becomes intolerable.

You saw this post, right?

I recall seeing that person on Gaf and always found him deeply unpleasant. I never engaged with him because he just came across as kind of obtuse and nasty. Now, though, I'm really glad I never bothered. What's the point of trying to have a sincere discussion or listening to the views of people who accept payment to say whatever MS tells them to? It's a waste of time. Shills and astroturfers are running amuck and it's, as you say, intolerable - but it's also just a bunch of disingenuous people preaching to fanboys and the gullible. Twitter, Reddit, etc. are overrun right now with this. Personally, I don't seek it out because it's just noise with no real world implications.

Don't get me wrong, I understand how frustrating it all is. It's just, for me, once I understood how manufactured it all was - I decided to step away from that toxicity. And, again, the real world impact is not there. Xbox, despite being propped up by the media and using their best PR/manipulation tactics, is still not gaining market share or traction in the gaming world.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Did anyone hear the testimony from the Stadia chief personally? I see shills claiming he 'confirmed' cloud gaming was not a separate market (which is objectively wrong anyway and has no bearing on the CAT case when the CMA, EU, FTC and Korea's regulator all ruled otherwise), but from tweaktown's play by play all I can see is the opposite - he said they wanted to make games not possible on existing platforms and the FTC got their point across that AAA content was crucial for the platform's success.

FTC has established through Sarah Bond that COD is critical content, through Hines and Spencer that Microsoft has incentive and means to withhold content, and through Stadia man that said content is important to a platform's success.

Excellent case.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Tried to convince ElGatBR over PM to behave but I can already tell he is just here to pester people, already talking shit on the forum and pushing the typical victim narrative. We are all a bunch toxic ponies while his is this pure and all knowing righteous person.

I doubt he is going to last and already regret wasting time being nice to him.

Same as we have advertising standards where social media platforms have to mark paid content as being sponsored, all shill and their posts should be marked as such under penalty of massive fines for the corporation paying them to essentially advertise.
This is the type of stuff that should be regulated, it's really not what any company should be doing, it's vile and not proper at all.

Not surprising tho MS always had this culture of being highly immoral and unhinged, them pretending to be the nice guys should never fooled anyone.

Did anyone hear the testimony from the Stadia chief personally? I see shills claiming he 'confirmed' cloud gaming was not a separate market (which is objectively wrong anyway and has no bearing on the CAT case when the CMA, EU, FTC and Korea's regulator all ruled otherwise), but from tweaktown's play by play all I can see is the opposite - he said they wanted to make games not possible on existing platforms and the FTC got their point across that AAA content was crucial for the platform's success.

FTC has established through Sarah Bond that COD is critical content, through Hines and Spencer that Microsoft has incentive and means to withhold content, and through Stadia man that said content is important to a platform's success.

Excellent case.

Cloud being a separate market it's just a matter of interpretation at most the Stadia guy could give his take but he doesn't have the power to confirm anything.

By definition Cloud gaming is a separate market tho and MS always publicly framed it as such.

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Weird to me how people can knowingly lie through their teeth/keyboards like this. Either that or he’s really not very bright. I honestly don’t get it.
Both Is Good Chris Pratt GIF

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
Still boggles my mind how much people ignore the numerous amounts of third party exclusivity deals Xbox still does each and every year. I believe they do even more than Playstation does yet people seem to act like only Playstation do it.

Here is a partial list from the last decade:

FIFA Legends content, Titanfall, Tomb Raider, Blair Witch, Warhammer Darktide, The Ascent, The Medium, The Artful Escape, Carrion, The Falconeer, Tetris Effect: Connected, The Last Night, Sable, Deaths Door, Twelve Minutes, Stalker 2, High on Life, Scorn, Cacoon, Ereban, The Last Case of Benedict Fox, PUBG, PSO2, Cuphead, Dead Rising 3 & 4, Crossfire X, Ark 2, Valheim, Shredders, Roblox, Tacoma, Vampire Survivor, The Division 2 DLC, Evolve DLC and dozens more

Like this isn't even the complete list, not even close

People often say "well those games don't matter because they arent a big as Final Fantasy".

The original Ark sold more than any Final Fantasy game ever and now the sequel is exclusive to Xbox.

Valheim also sold more than any Final Fantasy and same goes for PUBG when Xbox paid for a year exclusivity.

They always compare FF exclusivity to Microsoft acquiring the entirety of Activision. How stupid is that? Square still releases games on Xbox, they released a Final Fantasy games last December. If Microsoft gets Activision their games will cease to exist on Playstation ever again and 10s of millions of fans of their games will lose the option to play Activision games on Playstation. While in Xbox there are barely any fans of Square games.

Square might not even exist if it weren't for Sony bailing them out from bankruptcy 20 years ago. They probably could have easily acquired them but let them remain an independent publisher.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The other quote they are using is he said they are competing with playstation and xbox. And apparently that's him confirming cloud and console are the same market.

Which is silly, cloud gaming will always compete with console gaming. 2 separate markets can compete with each other for customers.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The other quote they are using is he said they are competing with playstation and xbox. And apparently that's him confirming cloud and console are the same market.

Which is silly, cloud gaming will always compete with console gaming. 2 separate markets can compete with each other for customers.
It is moronic.
Essentially, everything and everyone is competing with everything and everyone.

Even ice cream maker competing with other devices for human time and investment, doesn't mean it is a same market.

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
The other quote they are using is he said they are competing with playstation and xbox.
I swear Jim Ryan has said they competing with Netflix and real life for the consumers time. The exact time streaming is also fighting for

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Same as we have advertising standards where social media platforms have to mark paid content as being sponsored, all shill and their posts should be marked as such under penalty of massive fines for the corporation paying them to essentially advertise.

I couldn't agree more. It's insidious. There's a poster on Gaf who has brought up this practice of MS' on several occasions:

His information has been vetted by mods in the past but, even without that, I believe him. We can see the proof before our very eyes - extremely biased media, the same scripted talking points repeated ad nauseam across multiple sites, etc. It's kind of sad to see how much corporations have sunk their claws into what should be platforms for people to freely share and discuss opinions.