Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Arminius

19 May 2023
This fanboy thinks MS will continue to buy publishers if the ABK deal fails.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022

It's not a contingency plan, they have a shopping list. But regulators aren't just going to bow down and give up.
That corporation has become too large and powerful, it must be stopped.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
It's not a contingency plan, they have a shopping list. But regulators aren't just going to bow down and give up.
They might be able to get devs but pubs are off the list imo, even if approved it took them nearly 2 years to get it approved and a hell of a battle only a trillion dollar company can afford.
I expect them to back off.

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023

It will be very hard for them if activision deal gets blocked

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

I was going to guess it was either Destin or Ryan, the other resident shill at ign.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I have my doubts about this judge. The fact that she thinks every household has a gaming PC is very concerning. I hope she’s been corrected.

I think we were all both surprised at her lack of knowledge and how dismissive that seemed.... of course it makes sense if we consider the situation with her son and how she might be motivated to make excuses for this to go through.

Reactions: Nitro

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

I was actually going to make that a new thread and title it something like; "Fanboy journalist makes Xbox revenge list".

Would be so hilarious to see the xbox fanboys react to that.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I have my doubts about this judge. The fact that she thinks every household has a gaming PC is very concerning. I hope she’s been corrected.
Yep, that should've been immediately corrected, she could've been mistaken to think "gaming PCs" were just regular PCs that can play games, which is an easy mistake for a non tech person. But the fact that an FTC lawyer didn't immediately correct her is worrying.

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
Yep, that should've been immediately corrected, she could've been mistaken to think "gaming PCs" were just regular PCs that can play games, which is an easy mistake for a non-tech person. But the fact that an FTC lawyer didn't immediately correct her is worrying.
She'd probably just get annoyed and comment about how she didn't appreciate being corrected.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Read the first lines and stopped. Never seen such a nonsense. First we have the possibility the deal gets blocked, it will be even more hard to get the next acquisition approved. Secondly let’s hypothetically say Microsoft wins this case and manages to get the deal passed. Microsoft is being heavily scrutinised for more than 2 years, what makes this writer confident Microsoft could buy a 3rd pub without backlash by regulator bodies? Third and last point a company needs to be willingly to sell. A hostile Takeover will never be approved. Also Microsoft got rejected many times for attempting to buy Japanese pubs like Square Enix and Capcom. This is not a term of money, it’s that Japanese mentality (and also more strict laws) will not allow it to be eaten by an American company. This whole essay reads like a wish list of an upset Xbox fanboy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Read the first lines and stopped. Never seen such a nonsense. First we have if the deal gets blocked, it will even more hard to get the next acquisition approved. Secondly let’s hypothetically say Microsoft wins this case and manages to get the deal passed. Microsoft is being heavily scrutinised for more than 2 years, what makes this writer confident Microsoft could buy a 3rd pub without backlash by regulator bodies? Third and last point a company needs to be willingly to sell. A hostile Takeover will never be approved. Also Microsoft got rejected many times for attempting to buy Japanese pubs like Square Enix and Capcom. This is not a term of money, it’s that Japanese mentality (and also more strict laws) will not allow it to be eaten by an American company. This whole essay reads like a wish list of an upset Xbox fanboy.
Correct. There is no contingency plan. People need to pay close attention to the grounds on which this acquisition was blocked by the CMA. Even minor purchases could lead to an SLC, meaning MS has been stripped of its only means of increasing revenue and expanding market share. Plan B is shutting down the console division and coming hat in hand to Sony as a 3rd party publisher.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Created this thread. Most of the stuff was scattered in this megathread, so compiled a lot of the information in here.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Embarrassing article from thegamer. Look at the state of media reporting on this:

Firstly, the both sidesy title: "Xbox and PlayStation are both lying to you"

PlayStation has made no representations to the public on this acquisition except to correct Spencer's lie about the contract terms offered.

Next, gems like this:
Throughout PlayStation head Jim Ryan’s emails, he tells other senior staff that there is no danger of Call of Duty being taken off PlayStation and describes personal meetings with both Xbox chief Phil Spencer and Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick wherein he was convinced “we will see COD on PS for many years to come” - the core element of this case has been Sony’s public belief in the exact opposite.
The core element has nothing to do with Sony, and Jim's email (singular) was before Xbox started to offer wholly inadequate deals which allowed for COD to be pulled off PlayStation in the future.

[Ryan] doesn’t believe it is fair for even new IP from Activision to ever be Xbox exclusive, and despite claiming Game Pass is damaging for Xbox’s brand, feels the ‘same features’ promise is misleading if Xbox slap games on there for free while Sony charges. These claims are hypocritical at best, given that Sony has made exclusives the backbone of the industry,
Hypocritical at best, yes. Where lying would be above that bar. But the exclusive comment is absurd. Nintendo pioneered it and Microsoft developed it in the 360 era with timed exclusives. There is no lie in expecting or requesting that ABK games remain multiplatform like they would under an independent ABK.

Speaking of lies, here's one from the article author
Jim Ryan says exclusives are bad for gamers
When?? He even said Starfield being exclusive was fine.

I have said all along that I fundamentally believe an acquisition of this size is bad for gaming, but that Sony is the last company to criticise it. Ryan and Spencer say one thing and think another, but the truth of it is very simple - there is no good reason why Xbox should not buy Activision Blizzard, or any company, and it’s a failing on gaming’s part that we cannot provide one.
Someone email the idiot this thread. I see over 500 pages of reasons.

(Phil is pulled up for lying about the Sega acquisition and the terms of the deals. That's it.)