Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
I hope you are right

Imagine PlayStation losing Persona, Sonic, Shin Megami Tensei, Judgment and Yakuza forever! Especially after losing Zenimax (The Elder Scrolls , Fallout, Doom etc) what a Desaster.

Might be switching to the Series X. Tough decision to give up the Playstation after all these years.
That's never going to happen. First and foremost they would be neglecting their Japanese audience those games were made by them for them the extra benefit is that outside of Japan other countries enjoyed them. Besides that would force them to buy a new console they're not loaded to buy all these extra consoles.

24 Jun 2022
That's never going to happen. First and foremost they would be neglecting their Japanese audience those games were made by them for them the extra benefit is that outside of Japan other countries enjoyed them. Besides that would force them to buy a new console they're not loaded to buy all these extra consoles.

Technically speaking, MS could opt to keep those games on PlayStation...in Japan. But refuse to translate them to English & other Western languages for the Western releases. That way they would get the sales in Japan but could cockblock Western PS gamers from easily playing the games unless they want to import and know Japanese really, really well.

It's a tactic I could 100% see Microsoft doing if they did acquire a Japanese 3P publisher like Sega/Atlus. Which along with a ton of other issues is a great argument against them acquiring Sega/Atlus. But if by some turn of (unfortunate) events they were to acquire them, I could easily see MS just withholding Western releases of the PS versions of those games and choosing to only officially localize & publish the Xbox & PC versions instead.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Technically speaking, MS could opt to keep those games on PlayStation...in Japan. But refuse to translate them to English & other Western languages for the Western releases. That way they would get the sales in Japan but could cockblock Western PS gamers from easily playing the games unless they want to import and know Japanese really, really well.

It's a tactic I could 100% see Microsoft doing if they did acquire a Japanese 3P publisher like Sega/Atlus. Which along with a ton of other issues is a great argument against them acquiring Sega/Atlus. But if by some turn of (unfortunate) events they were to acquire them, I could easily see MS just withholding Western releases of the PS versions of those games and choosing to only officially localize & publish the Xbox & PC versions instead.

In this case, I would like to see Sony buy a big chunk of Sega and block any takeover attempts. Same with any company who wont sell to Sony, just buy big chunks and get people on the board.

They really need to be pro-active now.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I hope you are right

Imagine PlayStation losing Persona, Sonic, Shin Megami Tensei, Judgment and Yakuza forever! Especially after losing Zenimax (The Elder Scrolls , Fallout, Doom etc) what a Desaster.

Might be switching to the Series X. Tough decision to give up the Playstation after all these years.
Or you could do the sensible thing and switch to PC which would have every game.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Bots are crying :D

triggered GIF

What a clown.

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
So serious question how much does it matter if the judge grants the injunction? I mean in terms of whether or not the deal goes through

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So serious question how much does it matter if the judge grants the injunction? I mean in terms of whether or not the deal goes through
Kinda? My sense is that if the injunction is granted the deal is 100% dead, if it isn't then it's like 90% dead and Microsoft might try some shenanigans to get it over the CMA (although tbh this might just be me absorbing some of the xbot twitter copium, my rational brain says that there's no way that MS can get around the CMA block)

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
Kinda? My sense is that if the injunction is granted the deal is 100% dead, if it isn't then it's like 90% dead and Microsoft might try some shenanigans to get it over the CMA (although tbh this might just be me absorbing some of the xbot twitter copium, my rational brain says that there's no way that MS can get around the CMA block)
I wasn't even under the impression the injunction passing didnt even necessarily stop the FTC

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023

I'm pretty sure MS can't do that. They had no issues trying to rile up the senators saying that Playstation was violating the Japanese/American digital trades act by paying to hold games from the Xbox platform they would be doing that same thing they pointed fingers toward.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Damn, we are not a respected journalistic outlet? What are we going to do now? Publishers will stop sending us free games and paying us to push certain narratives.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
In this case, I would like to see Sony buy a big chunk of Sega and block any takeover attempts. Same with any company who wont sell to Sony, just buy big chunks and get people on the board.

They really need to be pro-active now.

Agreed. 3P publisher investments & share purchases should be a big part of Sony's acquisition strategy going forward. Buy guaranteed influence at these companies and have enough of a voice to screw over direct competitors who want to consolidate their 3P partners out of the open market.

We might have a glimpse of that with the Korean rumors but they have to do that with Japanese 3P publishers and Western 3P publishers, too. Especially those who bring big-value IP to the table but would otherwise be too much of a monetary & legal mess to acquire outright (Take-Two, Ubisoft as examples).

Still Microsoft Windows tho. So either way MS wins.

No; he can just go Linux and use WINE for compatibility. WINE compat's gotten extremely good these days from what others are saying, in large part due to Valve.

He could also get a Steam Deck if he just wants access to the games and isn't fussed about L337 performance. There are options for PC gaming that still cut Microsoft & Windows out of the picture.

I'm pretty sure MS can't do that. They had no issues trying to rile up the senators saying that Playstation was violating the Japanese/American digital trades act by paying to hold games from the Xbox platform they would be doing that same thing they pointed fingers toward.

Everything MS has accused Sony of doing was projection because in truth it was Microsoft doing those very things. Who knows, most likely Phantasy Star Online 2's Xbox Western exclusivity was MS paying to keep a Western PlayStation port off the table? I know MS helped with the localization but since people want to dismiss Sony's involvement with games like FF XVI to just "moneyhats" there's a lot of plausible cause to say that's what MS was doing with games like PSO2.

Also those paid-off US senators wouldn't bat an eye if MS did what is being suggested here because MS is the one lining their pockets. All of a sudden, MS/Xbox would not be under such potential violation of doing the actual thing they've accused Sony of doing (but of which there is virtually no proof of outside of select games like FF XVI which, again, can easily be described as a choice on SE's side that Xbox was simply not a viable platform even outside of Sony's assistance to help in development).

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Agreed. 3P publisher investments & share purchases should be a big part of Sony's acquisition strategy going forward. Buy guaranteed influence at these companies and have enough of a voice to screw over direct competitors who want to consolidate their 3P partners out of the open market.

We might have a glimpse of that with the Korean rumors but they have to do that with Japanese 3P publishers and Western 3P publishers, too. Especially those who bring big-value IP to the table but would otherwise be too much of a monetary & legal mess to acquire outright (Take-Two, Ubisoft as examples).

No; he can just go Linux and use WINE for compatibility. WINE compat's gotten extremely good these days from what others are saying, in large part due to Valve.

He could also get a Steam Deck if he just wants access to the games and isn't fussed about L337 performance. There are options for PC gaming that still cut Microsoft & Windows out of the picture.

Everything MS has accused Sony of doing was projection because in truth it was Microsoft doing those very things. Who knows, most likely Phantasy Star Online 2's Xbox Western exclusivity was MS paying to keep a Western PlayStation port off the table? I know MS helped with the localization but since people want to dismiss Sony's involvement with games like FF XVI to just "moneyhats" there's a lot of plausible cause to say that's what MS was doing with games like PSO2.

Also those paid-off US senators wouldn't bat an eye if MS did what is being suggested here because MS is the one lining their pockets. All of a sudden, MS/Xbox would not be under such potential violation of doing the actual thing they've accused Sony of doing (but of which there is virtually no proof of outside of select games like FF XVI which, again, can easily be described as a choice on SE's side that Xbox was simply not a viable platform even outside of Sony's assistance to help in development).
Hmmm, ok, for some reason i thought SD needed windows.

Reactions: riesgoyfortuna