Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Sony was too comfortable with Xbox just hanging around. They quit on the portable market, they buckled to the pressure and allowed crossplay to save Xbox, they started supporting PC, they were ok with long time partners getting close to MS, they were ok with allowing MS acquisition to go mostly unanswered.
This right here. I always said they got so complacent during PS4 era. That's all coming back to bite them. They deserve it but playstation supporters doesn't.

Well most of us don't. Some Playstation fans however have no mind of their own, like a few on this site. So hey

Let's see what Jimbo does since he said he's not complacent.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Stop being scared of cod

Yes its still a big seller but it wasnt anything near it was during its heyday
I'm not scared of CoD. I'm being a realist. Even a DECLINED CoD is miles ahead of its nearest competitor. Look at Battlefield's revenue vs CoD's.

The entire point of my post, which you removed, was to point out what they ARE doing to try to combat this and be more self-sustaining. But that's also why they're making multiple service titles. They know they're not magically going to make ONE that's going to come close to CoD's revenue by itself.

Reactions: Edmund

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Again, CoD is NOT something they can replicate in 10 years. NO ONE can just replicate CoD in 10 years. That's not the point.

I do believe they're doing something though. It's a large part of why they're focusing on more GaaS titles now. They need to be able to prop up the potential revenue losses should Microsoft do what we all know they WANT to do and yank CoD, to say nothing of other potential third-party money makers that someone could yank out from under them. They're making a clear attempt to become more self-sufficient without trying to buy out the entire industry. And that's a huge part of why they bought Bungie to help ensure that their titles have a lifespan and pass the smell test before launching and simply LOSING money.

Some folks don't like it, but it is what it is.
I guess nobody knows that. Would CoD be this big without Playstation? Will it keep being big without it?

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Lol bro u been wrong every step of the way. You went silent after your prediction didn't come to fruition. It's dead, deal with it!
Nah. CMA already killed the deal. There's no way around this.
@Sleepy Brown oh he's back? How's it going I know few weeks ago u said it would be approved 🤣🤣🤣 We kept your name alive in here laughing at your prediction.

":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:" indeed.
Time to update the thread title.

Reactions: Zzero and MScarpa

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I'm not scared of CoD. I'm being a realist. Even a DECLINED CoD is miles ahead of its nearest competitor. Look at Battlefield's revenue vs CoD's.

The entire point of my post, which you removed, was to point out what they ARE doing to try to combat this and be more self-sustaining. But that's also why they're making multiple service titles. They know they're not magically going to make ONE that's going to come close to CoD's revenue by itself.
Revenue that mostly comes from playstation

Revenue that soon going to falter further cos theres going to be less sales from playstation

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Revenue that soon to due out further cos theres going to be less sales from playstation
That's really a thing. How loyal are CoD fans? Can it be replaced with something else? We don't know. MS doesn't know.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What exactly were they meant to do to stop third parties from making business decisions?

It's starting to sound to me that you would've been fine with more anti-competitive behavior in the market so long as it came from Sony.
You are the one assuming I think acquisitions are anti-competitive. What I find anti-competitive is the fact that MS is making them with money that wasn't made by Xbox pretty much getting to shape the market according to their will without consumers having any say in it just because they are a huge company.

PlayStation has made Sony tons of money since the PS4 and during that gen they did non acquire much, in fact the even closed a bunch of studios. MS even at their lowest was still making huge acquisitions like Minecraft. MS got to spend over $80B while Sony probably hardly broke past $5B.

I was always in favor of Sony buying SE/Capcom/FromSoftware as big fuck you to MS and their nasty fanbase, we would at least have the Japanese publishers kept out of MS reach.

MS is pure cancer and them being involved with games is very unfortunate for people that like games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edmund

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
That's really a thing. How loyal are CoD fans? Can it be replaced with something else? We don't know. MS doesn't know.
Theres still Bungie..Batlefield...

Sony can make their own..bring back killzone..resistance...socom...

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA

Revenue that soon going to falter further cos theres going to be less sales from playstation
Oh no, they're going to keep CoD on PlayStation. For now. They can't justify the price tag they paid for it by yanking it. Yet.

But they CAN offer them the same crappy revenue split that Activision made MS take before, that Phil somehow tried to blame on Sony. Which means they make LESS from CoD while MS makes MORE. Which is why they're going to try to bolster their revenue and try to get to the point where the day they may have to say "no deal" to Xbox and have CoD yanked will be significantly less detrimental to PlayStation's bottom line.

Arminius

19 May 2023
I’m out of the loop. What happened? Did the judge approve the merger? Did the CMA change their decision and approve the merger?