Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony now has no choice but to bag publishers. The questions is who will it be? I don't see square enix even though it makes sense, because they need to buy a pub that would move the needle and be big enough to secure their position.
I bet it will be Square Enix. You need consider that Sony buying publisher is not just for PlayStation division needs. It will be a publisher who shares a lot of synergies within the Sony Group corporation. Means music, anime, manga, mobile gaming, GaaS. Sony won’t go after big and bloated western pubs.

Reactions: Dabaus

Zeno

28 Jun 2023
I know, right?
But yeah, as you can see right now, the deal will go through next week.
It's over.
Microsoft will own ZeniMax Media, Activision, Blizzard and another ~18 studios next week.
Sega, Asobo Studio, IO Interactive and Certain Affinity are next.

:ROFLMAO:
Yeah, because Sony is going to block COD on PlayStation. That's totally going to happen. :ROFLMAO:
Sony got almost 1 billion of revenue in just one year, in just one region from COD.
They will say "Thank you Daddy Microsoft" until Microsoft has enough and stops making PlayStation ports.
COD is too powerful. That's why MS is spending $70 billion for Activision-Blizzard.
Tell me, what do you hope for as the end goal? Really curious. You seem like someone that thinks of himself as pretty knowledgeable. So just tell me what positive aspects it will have when Microsoft acquires Sega and other developers next.
Or is it just for the sake of trolling?

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

How reliable is that source? I'd suspect Microsoft lawyers are feeding them.

The CMA asking for a pause is a strange approach to take when the CMA's case is so strong and their global block so definitive. The only thing that does make sense is the CMA showing they're willing to negotiate on divestiture remedies - AB, or A, or COD - but there's no reason to rush it before MS' deadline - that was self-imposed.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
It is neccessary that Sony takes the short-term pains to gain the long-term benefits
COD is huge but not that huge.

Average COD sells around 25 million on all platforms.

Even if half that are on Playstation you are looking at 10 million gamers.

Even if all left for Xbox it is a drop in the ocean to Playstations average userbase of 100+ million.
It is huge:

Sony accidentally revealed how much money Call of Duty is worth to PlayStation.

We knew it was over a billion dollars, but PlayStation boss Jim Ryan's unredacted letter suggests CoD represented $800 million in PlayStation revenue in the United States alone, and — I think that says $1.5 billion, right? — worldwide. (That's in 2021 specifically.)

Those players represent way more money to Sony than that, though: Ryan says CoD players spend (what looks to me like) $15.9 billion per year, on average, on everything else they buy.

Then again, some PlayStation gamers play nothing but CoD, we just learned.

DForce

Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I bet it will be Square Enix. You need consider that Sony buying publisher is not just for PlayStation division needs. It will be a publisher who shares a lot of synergies within the Sony Group corporation. Means music, anime, manga, mobile gaming, GaaS. Sony won’t go after big and bloated western pubs.
Going after a big publisher is something they're going to have to do. MS bought publishers and their games are popular on PlayStation.

Square? All of their games are popular on PS and not a factor on Xbox..

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The resetera playstation thread is depressing lol. Some people are grasping reality in there talking about what moves sony should/need to and they get dismissed as "doom posting."

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
The resetera playstation thread is depressing lol. Some people are grasping reality in there talking about what moves sony should/need to and they get dismissed as "doom posting."
Enthusiast are all like this every place you go.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
When the ABK deal was announced I said think sony should go after bungie, fromsoftware, Square enix, and have insomniac expand a third team to create a multiplayer game focused on marvel stuff. I wouldnt say thats greater than or equal to MS owning call of duty but i think thats a fair trade off for my gaming tastes. MS first party is basically non existent save for bethesda who makes 1 game every 10 years and now Cod. Guarantee alot of talent leaves in the near future and they run that franchise into the ground.

Like MS in house first party is non existent because its so mismanaged. So the only teams they have that matter are Bethesda proper, the doom team, and soon the cod devs. Like its alot of style but little substance, especially if cod is staying multiplat for the foreseeable future.

• haha
Reactions: KingOfTheDead

DForce

Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

The CMA asking for a pause is a strange approach to take when the CMA's case is so strong and their global block so definitive. The only thing that does make sense is the CMA showing they're willing to negotiate on divestiture remedies - AB, or A, or COD - but there's no reason to rush it before MS' deadline - that was self-imposed.
I don't know how reliable, but I thought it might be something since it's sources from CNBC

Reactions: PropellerEar

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
It is huge:

Sony accidentally revealed how much money Call of Duty is worth to PlayStation.

We knew it was over a billion dollars, but PlayStation boss Jim Ryan's unredacted letter suggests CoD represented $800 million in PlayStation revenue in the United States alone, and — I think that says $1.5 billion, right? — worldwide. (That's in 2021 specifically.)

Those players represent way more money to Sony than that, though: Ryan says CoD players spend (what looks to me like) $15.9 billion per year, on average, on everything else they buy.

Then again, some PlayStation gamers play nothing but CoD, we just learned.
It's huge yes, but so what? What I'm trying to say is that Sony needs to let go of its gigantism.

• haha
Reactions: Swolf712

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
I saw someone on another forum claim a positive from this would be SONY and Microsoft being forced to work closer together and I just wanted to vomit everywhere. "Microsoft isn't creating a monopoly... oh btw, maybe SONY will now be forced to work with them" lol

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Hell, they want to do that. They've not just assessed Sega, also Square-Enix, one of Sony's strongest 3P partners.

Like I've said, if Sony don't do what they know has to be done, and thinks things will remain well just business as usual with some bloated GaaS push, then they deserve to fall into market irrelevancy. A lot of people calling @Nhomnhom a doomposter but he is right on that part.

Not saying Sony have to be egregious; just 1-2 key 3P acquisitions publisher-wise, a few among smaller 3P devs from various regions, and the rest towards buying big blocks of shares into the major 3P AAA and AA publishers (aka the Tencent strategy) and investments into a few of those (like they've done with Kadokawa and Epic).
That's not been his point though. His point was not responsive, his point is Sony is doomed because they weren't pre-emptively anti-competitive and didn't choke out the Xbox division. That's not a reasonable position, imo.

I'm anti-consolidation and I know they're going to have to buy things now, that's the reality we're in. No one's argued against that point. I'm arguing against his insistence that Sony is doing and has done NOTHING and has "already given up".

KingOfTheDead

Banned
3 Jul 2023

Nobody has said anything about divestiture remedies being the only way. All we know is that the CMA is back to the table, which is a great sign for MS. CMA could of force them to the CAT.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Classic PlayStation OT.
They don't wanna hear it. Some of them want to act like buying multiple publishers (especially Activision-Blizzard) won't change anything.
They're trying to silence people with the "you're just doom-posting" copy & paste posts.

KingOfTheDead

Banned
3 Jul 2023

Looks like comity does have bearing here, eh luke? CMA is back to the table. Comity is real