Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
He makes my skin crawl. 😣 All that will happen if the deal fails is he won't get a huge payday which is a fitting punishment for someone like him who values money over all else. So, yet another plus for the deal not going through.
Kotick will be gone due to the sex scandal and the workplace environment issues that broke just before the buyout was announced. The only reason he is still there is because you can't change C-suite executives in the middle of a merger or buyout, by law. I bet he's gone within two weeks after the deal is shot down.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Doesn’t this deal have to get approved in China as well? How does the ceo of Microsoft saying China is a closed off country help get the deal done there? Same with Bobby kottick invoking “yellow peril” dog whistles?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Isn't it their own fault why they have done poorly in Japan? They kind of tried with 360, then gave up halfway through. XBO was an afterthought there. They should probably hire more Vtubers to shill promote the brand and see how that works.

All of their reasons are either crying victim or blaming others for good work & finding success where MS failed to. It's beyond looking weak; it looks petty & pathetic and regulators aren't going to throw them a pity party with ABK as the prize because of it.

I don't think that really matters because if reports are correct, regulators of the three big bodies communicate with each other a bit more than they have in the past so if one is leaning a certain way, chances are likely the other two are, as well. So if anything this kind of projection from MS hints to me that things may not be going well any any of the Big Three regulatory bodies, otherwise if something seemed especially favorable with one, it'd be at least somewhat favorable with the other two at roughly the same time.

Although, I don't think the concern on my end necessarily means the deal is dead; like you said it could mean concessions, but concessions that Microsoft would rather likely avoid. If for example they were to be forced to divest COD and associated studios into their own thing (something I'd personally push for if I were involved in the process 😁), then I can understand the pushback from Microsoft even if they retained partial ownership, because they want EVERYTHING that comes with ABK, and to have 100% unimpeded control over it.

They're control freaks, basically, and they're having a very hard time with the growing reality that they may not get it 100% their way. I do still think they'll get ABK, but not in the manner they clearly thought they were, and who knows. If Microsoft are that upset over the concessions, they could just walk away from it altogether but I don't see that being highly probable.

Wait what? He threatened them? Did he call them unconstitutional 🤣?
I'm not so sure Microsoft agrees to go through with a 70 billion dollar deal if they don't get enough of the advantages that they were expecting to get out of it.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I'm not so sure Microsoft agrees to go through with a 70 billion dollar deal if they don't get enough of the advantages that they were expecting to get out of it.
Microsoft pretty much has a corporate policy of not accepting any remedies in deals like this. They’d sooner drop the deal that accept limitations on what they can do.

Microsoft is a bully of a company that has always been run by psychopaths, and we are seeing that in the bizarre threats and insane statements coming out in the last couple of days.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Microsoft CEO points at their performance in Japan as well as hinting at companies like Embracer and Tencent as reasons why the deal should not be opposed. This media tour does seem like a bit much if they actually are confident about the outcome now that the CEOs of both companies are making the rounds.

what in the hell would this deal do for Xbox in Japan anyways? Activision doesn't even publish games in japan, sony handles the COD distribution here.

no one buys the damned game, and it doesn't even get pressed on disc/ officially release on xbox anymore, at all.

:ROFLMAO:

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 9.37.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 9.38.34 PM.png

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Surprised
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Okay, this statement by Nutella is now officially the most stupidest thing I've ever heard 😄

"We should probably look at Microsoft share of the console market in Japan as a perhaps a question that somebody should ask and say, oh, wow, I wonder why that is that’s small."

lmao 🤣 how can a CEO of a failing division say this with a straight face? Yes, go ahead, ask that question, and then take an inventory of all the Japanese games you have produced in the last 10 years. You'll have your answer. lol

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
7ac2yq.jpg
This is so damn good 😍

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Regulators don't understand the gaming business according to Kotick. If they did, there would be no problem with the acquisition (and him getting a massive payday). All the time and effort put into understanding the business, including input from people within the business, just isn't quite enough. :rolleyes:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Regulators don't understand the gaming business according to Kotick. If they did, there would be no problem with the acquisition (and him getting a massive payday). All the time and effort put into understanding the business, including input from people within the business, just isn't quite enough. :rolleyes:

"If it weren't for you meddling kids..."
-real life villain Bobby Kotick

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I have been reading some facts about the CMA, its blocking ratio, and what options Microsoft would have if the CMA indeed blocks the acquisition (which seems more and more likely now). Here is what I found. I thought I should post it here for y'all:
  • The CMA has been very aggressive in early 2019.
  • It has referred 26% of cases to the Phase 2 review.
  • The CMA has also been proactive. Out of 33 cases that reached Phase 2, 16 cases were taken up by the CMA itself, instead of being notified by the involved parties.
  • 70% of the acquisition cases that reached Phase 2 were blocked. This is a 3x increase from the less-aggressive CMA in 2014-2017.
  • Microsoft will have the option to appeal CMA's blocking of the acquisition.
  • But judicial review standards would apply, which means Microsoft will have to prove that "the CMA acted irrationally, illegally, or with procedural impurity" -- except in the case of procedural breaches by the CMA. In that case, a judicial review standard will not be applied.
  • Merits of the CMA decision will not be entertained neither will a wholesale review of parties' evidence will be conducted.
  • 67% of all such appeals have been won by the CMA since 2010.
  • Even if the review application is successful, the case will be sent back to the CMA -- to the same group of people who first blocked it 😄

D

Deleted member 417

If/When this deal doesn't go through, I assume Sony will give Activision the middle-finger for future games investment and marketing, or at least drive a very, very hard bargain to put COD on Playsation

Does that mean the burden of marketing and financing COD falls onto Microsoft? If so, and Microsoft refuse or the Xbox division crumbles, what happens next? Does Activision's stock price fall through the floor?

Irony of all Irony if Activision has to spin off King and Blizzard to keep afloat and Sony buy Blizzard.

• brain
Reactions: laynelane

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I wonder why that is that’s small

The question Phil&Co. try to answer each day when looking in their pants 😔

Seems like the whole situation could be explained with Freud's theories.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
If/When this deal doesn't go through, I assume Sony will give Activision the middle-finger for future games investment and marketing, or at least drive a very, very hard bargain to put COD on Playsation

Does that mean the burden of marketing and financing COD falls onto Microsoft? If so, and Microsoft refuse or the Xbox division crumbles, what happens next? Does Activision's stock price fall through the floor?

Irony of all Irony if Activision has to spin off King and Blizzard to keep afloat and Sony buy Blizzard.
Even if the deal does actually collapse, regardless of how they feel about them after the fact, ABK still has to work with Sony through '25 anyway because of the preexisting contract. I'm sure ABK might try to back out of it, but that'll cost them money.

D

Deleted member 417

Even if the deal does actually collapse, regardless of how they feel about them after the fact, ABK still has to work with Sony through '25 anyway because of the preexisting contract. I'm sure ABK might try to back out of it, but that'll cost them money.
What does that contract entail for Sony? Can they just half-arse it?

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
BREAKING:
  • In-depth independent investigation provisionally finds deal raises concerns about cloud and console gaming
  • Merger could make Microsoft even stronger in cloud gaming, stifling competition in this growing market and harming UK gamers who cannot afford expensive consoles
  • Deal could also harm UK gamers by weakening the important rivalry between Xbox and PlayStation gaming consoles

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
FULL ARTICLE:

A CMA investigation has provisionally concluded that Microsoft’s proposed acquisition of Activision could result in higher prices, fewer choices, or less innovation for UK gamers.

The provisional findings from the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) follow a wide-ranging investigation conducted over the last five months to understand the market and potential impact of the deal. This has included holding site visits and hearings to hear directly from business leaders at Microsoft and Activision, analysing over 3 million internal documents from the two businesses to understand their views on the market, commissioning an independent survey of UK gamers, and gathering evidence from a range of other gaming console providers, game publishers, and cloud gaming service providers.

Competition in the supply of cloud gaming services​

The CMA provisionally found that being able to offer popular games will be important for cloud gaming providers to attract users as the market continues to grow and develop. The evidence available to the CMA currently indicates that Microsoft would find it commercially beneficial to make Activision’s games exclusive to its own cloud gaming service (or only available on other services under materially worse conditions). Microsoft already accounts for an estimated 60-70% of global cloud gaming services and also has other important strengths in cloud gaming from owning Xbox, the leading PC operating system (Windows) and a global cloud computing infrastructure (Azure and Xbox Cloud Gaming).

The CMA provisionally found that buying one of the world’s most important game publishers would reinforce this strong position and substantially reduce the competition that Microsoft would otherwise face in the cloud gaming market in the UK. This could alter the future of gaming, potentially harming UK gamers, particularly those who cannot afford or do not want to buy an expensive gaming console or gaming PC.

Competition in the supply of consoles​

The CMA provisionally found that a small number of key games, including Call of Duty (CoD), Activision’s flagship game, play an important role in driving competition between consoles. The evidence available to the CMA, including data on how Microsoft measures the value of customers in the ordinary course of business, currently indicates that Microsoft would find it commercially beneficial to make Activision’s games exclusive to its own consoles (or only available on PlayStation under materially worse conditions). The CMA’s provisional findings note that this strategy, of buying gaming studios and making their content exclusive to Microsoft’s platforms, has been used by Microsoft following several previous acquisitions of games studios.

The CMA provisionally found that weakening competition by restricting the access that other platforms have to Activision’s games could substantially reduce the competition between Xbox and PlayStation in the UK, in turn harming UK gamers.

Xbox and PlayStation compete closely with each other at present and access to the most important content, like CoD, is an important part of that competition. Reducing this competition between Microsoft and Sony could result in all gamers seeing higher prices, reduced range, lower quality, and worse service in gaming consoles over time.

Martin Coleman, chair of the independent panel of experts conducting this Phase 2 investigation, said:

It’s been estimated that there are around 45 million gamers in the UK, and people in the UK spend more on gaming than any other form of entertainment including music, movies, TV, and books. Strong competition between Xbox and PlayStation has defined the console gaming market over the last 20 years. Exciting new developments in cloud gaming are giving gamers even more choice.
Our job is to make sure that UK gamers are not caught in the crossfire of global deals that, over time, could damage competition and result in higher prices, fewer choices, or less innovation. We have provisionally found that this may be the case here.
We have also today sent the companies an explanation of how our concerns might be resolved, inviting their views and any alternative proposals they wish to submit.

Background to today’s provisional findings​

Microsoft entered into a $68.7 billion deal to buy Activision, one of the most popular video games publishers in the world, in January 2022. The transaction is the largest video game acquisition in history, as well as being the largest acquisition that Microsoft has ever made.

Gaming is the biggest form of entertainment in the UK, with consumers spending more money on gaming than pay TV, video streaming, cinema, music, or books. In 2022, around £5 billion was spent on gaming in the UK. There are thousands of games available on consoles and PCs, but gamers spend much of their time and money on a handful of so-called ‘AAA’ games. Activision owns CoD, which is well established as one of the leading AAA games in the industry.

In September 2022, the CMA launched an in-depth investigation into the deal led by an independent panel of experts. The investigation is being conducted alongside similar probes in the US and the EU, as well as a number of other international jurisdictions.

The CMA welcomes responses from interested parties to its provisional findings by 1 March 2023 and its notice of possible remedies, which sets out potential options for addressing its provisional concerns, by 22 February 2023. These will be considered ahead of the CMA issuing its final report, which is due by 26 April 2023.

For more information, visit the Microsoft / Activision inquiry page.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
BREAKING:
  • In-depth independent investigation provisionally finds deal raises concerns about cloud and console gaming
  • Merger could make Microsoft even stronger in cloud gaming, stifling competition in this growing market and harming UK gamers who cannot afford expensive consoles
  • Deal could also harm UK gamers by weakening the important rivalry between Xbox and PlayStation gaming consoles

Interesting point from there:

The CMA’s provisional findings note that this strategy, of buying gaming studios and making their content exclusive to Microsoft’s platforms, has been used by Microsoft following several previous acquisitions of games studios.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022

I don't think Sony would make a move like that. I could be wrong, but Ryan said this:

We want to guarantee PlayStation gamers continue to have the highest quality Call of Duty experience, and Microsoft’s proposal undermines this principle.

When speaking about MS' initial offer for three years of CoD.

Even if there's hard feelings, Sony seems committed to their customers and refusing marketing deals for CoD undermines that. As well, it would be punitive towards the devs too when it's really Kotick, the execs, and shareholders who want this deal to go through.